C4 Forums | Control4

Leaf Video Matrix / Sharp LED TV Issue

I have a Leaf 4x4 Matrix HDBaseT (Model L44) and a Sharp 80" LED TV (Model LC-80LE757U) with a TiVo Roamio, Apple TV and DVD player feeding it.  Lately I have had a lot of issues where the video runs fine for 5-10 minutes and then it cuts off, potentially due to the picture changing the type of picture during a television program (i.e. Probably going between 1080p to 1080i, etc).  It works if I disconnect the Ethernet cable to the tv and reinsert it (presumably the tv figures out the new resolution), but then cuts off shortly after again.  I have another tv (an old Sharp LCD tv) running the same Tivo broadcast, and it does not have these issues, which makes me think this is a Sharp TV setting issue.  Any advice?

Thanks

One thing I have noticed is once there are problems with the video, the video won't switch to other inputs and won't turn off the tv, which means there is something freezing in the Leaf device (this is despite the other tv working fine while this is all happening).  Hopefully this gives more clues into what is happening

Thanks for this.  I tried it and it didn't work (still shut off after a short period), but I found the setting to turn off the power saver mode on the tv, and it seems like 1) it doesn't force a change in the resolution, 2) the picture actually is nice and bright like my Samsung tv.  I will need to test this more, but maybe this power saver mode (even when watching tv) creates an issue with the Leaf Video matrix...I didn't realize there is two way communication between the TV and the Leaf source

Was just talking to my friend from Tivo about a similar problem.  Do uou have the faster power mode turned on in the sharp mennu?  This was the cause of another issue he saw....it lost the handshake and was turning on too quickly for to see it....  This may help.....it may not....

Seems like the issue was the power saver mode on the tv, mixed with the TiVo resolution issues.  Taking off the Power Saver mode on the tv seems to fix the problem and reduces the issues when the HDMI signal is trying to "handshake".  I think the Leaf just compounds the issue since it's stuck in between.  I haven't had any issues with the tv turning on too quick, but this remains to be seen

Thanks C4 community for the advice

• 1 month later...

Looks like the issue popped back up.  And this time, the Leaf/Sharp setup even locks up on the Apple TV which is running 720p.  I tried the recalibrate function, and that didn't help, but I believe my Samsung does not have any of these issues, so is there a setting on the Sharp that will prevent the HDMI handshake from being dropped and freezing up the Leaf?  These issues btw happen after watching a program for like 4-8 minutes, without some kind of commercial break that could change the resolution.  I have put the Sharp tv on the least energy efficient setting I could find

Thanks in advance

The more I mess around with this system, the more I question whether I have a lemon for a Leaf video matrix.  The TV works fine, but the Leaf matrix can't even fire commands to the TV at all (the eye is not popping up red).  This system is not more than 3 years old and I already had the main unit of the Video Matrix replaced two years ago...have other people had issues with the video matrix?  Considering the price of this system, this should not have these kind of issues at all.

I have no experience with the Leaf switchers but have dealt with many Sharps and those things are garbage, especially anything created from them within the last 2 years.  Bad experiences with EDID, HDCP and HDMI in general.  These things are cheaply made.

Good luck.

i would suggest locking all of your source devices to the lowest resolution among your tvs and devices. Most likely will be 720p with cable. once everything is locked be sure to turn off all HDMI CEC or power saving controls. 

Ir commands are not routed through the leaf they are just a pass through from the controller. if you were trying to turn the tv of and on again multiple times there is a build in delay that will prevent the codes issues back to back.

the sharp is likely the issues and it may need a software update or many things it would be best to call sharp and see if they have any know issues.

Completely understand it could be the TV (which has been the angle I have been approaching it for a while), but why would it work fine for a couple of years and then all of sudden start acting up (the only change was adding the TiVo box...and when that happened, the system started failing with the Apple TV as well).  I have been watching Apple TV directly hooked up to the Sharp TV with absolutely no issues, yet through the Leaf it is crapping out after 5-10 minutes.  This leads me to believe it must be the Leaf (either the rack unit or the TV receiving unit).  If the Leaf just passes through commands on the IR side, it seems like that doesn't work once there is some issue with the Video, which means the Leaf has fully locked up.  I have tried to re-calibrate the system a few times, but to no avail

First, make sure that the leaf is running the latest firmware - second, make sure your sources aren't set to change resolution.

The real issue most likely is at the TV, but the 'cause' is something you can likely bypass by checking your settings on the TiVo and force 1080p (or if it's 1080p24/30 just turn that garbage off and stick to 720p.

Oh and by default, turn off 1080i.

• 1 month later...

I meant to let the team here know what was the solution.  Turns out my Leaf HDMI Matrix was one of the first versions, and notoriously fickle.  The dealer replaced my unit, added a POE injector and replaced all my receivers that they use now...apparently the receivers having power were a big problem and created a lot of handshake issues (so they say).  Essentially the first go of the Leaf HDMI matrix was not a good solution (apparently my dealer had a similar problem as well as another job site, especially when there is a lightening storm).  Thanks for all the help

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue with Leaf 6x6 and Vizio 4K. Every once in a while the picture and audio cuts out and returns in 2-5 seconds. I haven't been able to correlate any events to this occurring. Any help appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

This is knda an old post, but I thought I'd post here since it is a really similar issue.  My Control4 HDMI Matrix started doing the same thing about a month ago on one Sony LCD TV while using Tivo.  One night the lock light was out, and I wasn't able to get it back by power cycling the receiver.    I tried switching out the receiver with another HDBaseT receiver first, which initially didn’t change anything.  I have subsequently tried using another Cat5e that goes to the bedroom, and the receiver would get a lock, but it would intermittently black out (the HDCP light would go out), and then come back, but after a while the lock would go out and I’d lose the signal completely.  I have gone back to using the original cat5e that had been working flawlessly for 2.5 years.  I re-terminated that cable several times as well, and still have the same issues.  It is basically unusable at this point.   The HDBaseT HDMI receiver has a solid lock light most of the time, the ‘live’ light blinks on and off all the time, and the HDCP light will come on when the TV is turned on, but intermittently goes out, causing the TV to black out for a few seconds at a time.   I have tried using the calibrate command on the HDMIMatrix in ComposerHE, and it still acts flaky.    Anyone have  any other suggestions.  My dealer must be still out of town, so I haven't been able to get Control4 involved in the troubleshooting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Unfortunately I need to post here again.  Looks like I'm on my third system in 4.5 years and I am still getting these issues on the tv I use downstairs.  It's not the receiver device, because I have swapped them between tvs a few times (also had brand new ones) and they work on my upstairs tv.  Now the downstairs tv gets that lock light on, I can't even power cycle anything to make it work (or unplug and replug in the receiver).  This is an outright piece of sh!t product, especially considering I have now gone through 3 Leaf's, got the POE receivers on the 3rd attempt, and am probably one of the lightest users of my tv (might watch 1-2 hours of tv a day, if that).  Also, the upstairs tv is a 60" version of the one downstairs (which is 80"), both Sharp, but what is surprising is we can have the downstairs tv locked out, but the upstairs one is working fine at the same time (so it must be the first balun off the matrix which is wired to the downstairs tv).

What is more disappointing is Control4's support here.  They are pushing back on fixing this problem.  I get it if I had this matrix for 4-5 years and it just broke now, I can sort of get it (would still be quite frustrated).  But no, I have had this issue within 6 months of buying this equipment and have gone through 3 different matrices within this time.  I find the whole Control4 experience really bad as an end user and want to figure out who to complain to, people don't pay $40-100k in equipment just to see it break.  This equipment should last until one needs to upgrade for whatever reason or well into upper single digit ages like 8-15 years (my parents still have a very solid Sony receiver working since 1992, and I can guarantee you it didn't cost anywhere near what I paid for my stuff)

Archived