C4 Forums | Control4

Smart Things Hub GE Light Switch

Is the Samsung Smart things Hub integrateable with Control 4?

It says it is ZigBee. Mostly I ask as the GE ZigBee light switch is compatible and is much cheaper than the Control 4 light switches. Also I would like to use the outside outlet product as well.

In-wall switch

Works seamlessly with your home's existing wiring and 2- or 3-way systems. Also works with Zigbee Logitech Harmony Home Hub Extender, SmartThings, Wink and OpenHome gateways and hubs.

The SmartThings Hub is the heart of your smart home. It connects wirelessly with hundreds of compatible smart devices, allowing you to monitor, control, and secure your home from anywhere.

The SmartThings Hub is simple to install and easy to use with the free SmartThings app.

With a SmartThings Hub you can connect smart sensors, lights, locks, cameras, and more to:

• Monitor your home from anywhere

• Control your home from the palm of your hand

• Secure your home and protect it from damage and danger

• Add any of the hundreds of compatible smart devices to enhance your home

• Technical Information

• Power: In-wall power adapter with about 10 hours of backup power from 4 AA batteries (included)
  • Communication Protocol: ZigBee, Z-Wave, IP
  • Range: 50-130 feet
  • Operating Temperature: 41 to 95°F
  • Dimensions: 4.2 x 4.9 x 1.3 inches
  • Weight: 7.68 ounces
  • Color: White

SmartThings lacks any viable built in API.  So integrating it with Control4 requires custom development.

It is no trivial task.  I've done about a dozen custom integrations with SmartThings and each one is a royal pain.

Plus with SmartThings, nothing is local, all devices are routed to the cloud.  Trying to access to hub locally is painful and slow since it had to relay back to cloud. Even their scheduling is cloud based and over the last 6 months, they missed 30-40% of their scheduled tasks, they just didn't fire.  They re-wrote the new scheduler and it is helping but still misses events.

The mobile app is a disaster, and the platform as a whole is broken and they push updates like twice a week, which can break anything at any time.  You can't opt out of updates at all either.

Accessing the cloud is via OAUTH2 and can be done, but if you internet goes out, no control.

Wink has a full API and I believe there are existing drivers to integrate with Control4.

If you want more info, PM me. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 5/15/2016 at 11:29 AM, pstuart said:

SmartThings lacks any viable built in API.  So integrating it with Control4 requires custom development.

It is no trivial task.  I've done about a dozen custom integrations with SmartThings and each one is a royal pain.

Plus with SmartThings, nothing is local, all devices are routed to the cloud.  Trying to access to hub locally is painful and slow since it had to relay back to cloud. Even their scheduling is cloud based and over the last 6 months, they missed 30-40% of their scheduled tasks, they just didn't fire.  They re-wrote the new scheduler and it is helping but still misses events.

The mobile app is a disaster, and the platform as a whole is broken and they push updates like twice a week, which can break anything at any time.  You can't opt out of updates at all either.

Accessing the cloud is via OAUTH2 and can be done, but if you internet goes out, no control.

Wink has a full API and I believe there are existing drivers to integrate with Control4.

If you want more info, PM me. 

@pstuart another thread is pushing towards SmartThings as a good geofencing solution, but not wanting to throw money away if your opinion of the platform hasn't improved.  Any update?

Archived