C4 Forums | Control4

Google Home

14 hours ago, malelan said:

No this feature is unique to the pixel assistant and Google home devices right now.

Ok thanks for clarification, my google home app is fully integrated with IFTTT and can control my hue bulbs, and other things now, so I thought it would work with the IFTTT Maker Driver.

Unfortunately the hardware device isn't available in Canada right now, so looks like I'll have to wait.

Cheers

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Google in no such manner is promoting the use of Google Home with Gsuite.

A Gsuite account is designed for Enterprises (Business, Schools, Organizations). Call Google, they will inform you.

You can't write off a product because you're not using the product in it's intended manner.

You might as well throw Alexa in the garbage too because it doesn't work with GSuite.

Gmail is intended for personal home stuff. Like I said, simple answer is to create a gmail account for your personal home stuff and reap the benefits of Google Home. Why miss out? It's not like you have to pay for a Gmail account.

I think the point of view (which I share) is that if:

• You have all your data (calendar appointments, contacts, emails, etc) in a GSuite account
  • You want to use the "Google Home" hardware device
  • You find the "Google Home" hardware device to be incompatible with your GSuite Google account

You then have two choices:

1. Register for another non-GSuite account and connect the "Google Home" hardware device to it
  2. Return the device

If you proceed with option 1, then you lose a lot of the functionality due to your data not being in the Google account.  Your calendar will be empty, so Google Home can't tell you what time your dentist appointment is. Your contact list is empty, so you can't ask what Aunt Bee's mailing address is. It will control your home just fine, but that's only half of the supposed story with this device.

Was messing around with Alexa for a few days, after reading this thread went and bought a google home.  Based on initial testing using IFTTT don't detect any more delay than Alexa (direct through c4).  Used one of Alan's examples to set up voice commands for setting tv channels.  Much much less limiting than Alexa!  Worked flawlessly (except for issues with my xfinity IR driver).  I think I'm going to send my dot back and keep the GH. 

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, what am I missing here?  Got Google Home on sale, and now got Chromecast Audio on sale.  Chromecast Audio is in my matrix and I have it set to be the source in a room when the matrix detects a signal.  That works fine, but why can't I get Google Home to output everything including voice responses to Chromecast Audio?  I just want the Chromecast to be the default speaker, basically.  Surely this is possible?

Still not finding anything on making Chromecast a Home endpoint for all audio output.  I know its new, but with no external jack for audio output, this is a huge mark against Home vs Alexa since you can easily attach Dot to a matrix for all audio output.

8 minutes ago, turls said:

Still not finding anything on making Chromecast a Home endpoint for all audio output.  I know its new, but with no external jack for audio output, this is a huge mark against Home vs Alexa since you can easily attach Dot to a matrix for all audio output.

imho it's not ready yet....

3 hours ago, msgreenf said:

imho it's not ready yet....

Might be but the more I think about it I wonder if it ever will be.  When you cast, it isn't sending from the device.  So it isn't like just doing a BT connection to the Chromecast.

2 hours ago, sonic30101 said:

You can do an audio only chromecast and create a group. Only works with music, no announcements. If you really wanted to get crazy you could open it up and tap into the speaker leads with a line out converter but i wouldnt do it.

Yeah, but that isn't what I was planning on.  Already have Sonos.  Its fun to play with but no way I'm taking away a Matrix input for yet another content only endpoint.  Was hoping to transmit (all) Google Home output to multiple rooms.  Probably not that big of a deal since I only have one Google Home right now anyway.  Just pushes me back towards spending my time integrating Echo instead of Home...

Archived