C4 Forums | Control4

Chowmain - Notification Suite Errors - any ideas?

@alanchow

I have been using Chowmain's push suite for 6 weeks and has worked flawless.  When someone rings my doorbell it sends a camera snap shot to the push app.  simple and it works.

2 days ago I got an error message when i clicked on the chuck.io link.  ok I figured something was maybe off with chuck.io, a server issue somewhere, etc.  today the bell was rung 3-4 times, got the notification and got the same error message each time.

error msg reads: "failed to get http://......... HTTP Response code said error"

I left out my URL for security reasons but the URL and password for the camera have not changed.  Blue Iris can still see the camera without a problem using the same URL, port forward, user name, password, etc.

Any ideas why after 6 weeks and no changes to the properties of the camera it just stopped working?

Oh and before someone says submit a HL tix...Its Friday at 5pm of a holiday weekend.  Not a perfect time to reach out to a dealer and I am sure HL is shut down for 3 days anyways.  If possible would like to troubleshoot it this weekend and worst case open up a ticket Tuesday morning

The driver is failing to retrieve the image from the camera.

Hard to say what the problem is without looking at your Camera server.  Could be IP conflict.  Could be change in username, password, permissions.  Could be change in IP address of the camera server.  If you are using hostnames could be an issue resolving the name.

Odd since nothing has changed in the last 72 hours

i can put the url into a browser and see the image so I know passwords and url are correct

this camera has an interface with control4 via blue Iris and that driver works and I can see the image on the BI software. 

If you want to isolate the problem why don't you enter in an image from another server? Sg a photo on the Internet.

this will narrow down your problem for you and eliminate the driver as the problem.

Alan I spoke too early.  Since May 25th this action - doorbell ring - had happened 7 items.  5 times I got errors but two times it did work.  Again for 6 weeks prior it was flawless.  Now it seems intermittent to be working.  Can't point at the camera being the issue?

15 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

Alan I spoke too early.  Since May 25th this action - doorbell ring - had happened 7 items.  5 times I got errors but two times it did work.  Again for 6 weeks prior it was flawless.  Now it seems intermittent to be working.  Can't point at the camera being the issue?

Intermittent server errors.  As I said if you want to isolate the problem point the driver at something else.

in a lot of the cases it's something stupid like an IP conflict as someone puts the camera in the DHCP range.

13 hours ago, alanchow said:

Intermittent server errors.  As I said if you want to isolate the problem point the driver at something else.

in a lot of the cases it's something stupid like an IP conflict as someone puts the camera in the DHCP range.

The camera is at 192.1xx.x.202 and its port is 84 on my local network - I am not sure if that is in the DHCP range - that is a bit past my tech knowledge.  I looked at my router settings, nothing else is at port 84.  I looked at Fing and nothing else is at .202.  

I found a static image online and set that up as a notification on a 5 second delay after doorbell rings.  So the programming is the camera image gets sent, wait 5 seconds, then the static image from a different server is sent.

This morning I've executed it 10x.  3-4 times it totally failed and neither image showed up and chuck.io said there was an application error.  When that was happening, I could not even open links from my older push notices.  about 6 times both messages got sent, and the camera image was 50% working and 50% failing, the 2nd image worked every time.

What is also a red flag is how chuck.io is down now and come to think of it, we have gotten several packages delivered and never got a camera shot, yet we know from experience UPS always rings the bell then leaves.  I was wondering why we never got a message when they rang the bell and now I am seeing that this system tends to be up and down sporadically?  Within the hour this morning its been up and down (not just my c4 system's use of it but even just gong to chuck.io gives me an error message)

Strange my doorbell has been working fine and it utilises the same setup.

the next test is to eliminate chunk.io by utilising the deviantsart driver to upload the image and then utilise the pushover driver to attach the returned URL as the URL.

if that works then there is an issue with the chunk.io service (could be routing related based on what you mentioned)

On 5/28/2016 at 2:52 PM, alanchow said:

the next test is to eliminate chunk.io by utilising the deviantsart driver to upload the image and then utilise the pushover driver to attach the returned URL as the URL.

if that works then there is an issue with the chunk.io service (could be routing related based on what you mentioned)

may have to involve my dealer on this one since I do not see the deviantsart driver in my project.  For now I have a 2nd static image from a different website I picked out.  bell rings, chunk.io sends the camera snap shot ASAP and 5 seconds later the 2nd image from a different source/server is sent.  I'll test this for 3-4 days and report back any findings.  Maybe it was just an odd blip.

On 5/28/2016 at 2:52 PM, alanchow said:

thanks for the help.  In this instance I think it was my camera, needed a reboot and I think it is now working.  Dealer and I tried to isolate the issue.  We'll see if we did right, if not we'll open a formal ticket.

One question though, your logs mention deviantsart is no longer supported - is that true or not?  Your suggestion was to try it but my dealer said the logs mentioned it is no longer supported?

3 hours ago, eggzlot said:

thanks for the help.  In this instance I think it was my camera, needed a reboot and I think it is now working.  Dealer and I tried to isolate the issue.  We'll see if we did right, if not we'll open a formal ticket.

One question though, your logs mention deviantsart is no longer supported - is that true or not?  Your suggestion was to try it but my dealer said the logs mentioned it is no longer supported?

Actually you are correct.  I forgot that the service is now no longer available.

i still think you have an ip conflict so please look out for that.

Archived