C4 Forums | Control4

I am relatively new to the Control 4 system environment and is trying to help someone solve an amplifier issue. They have two 8 zone amps and one works just fine, from the same source. However the other one shuts down after about 10 seconds. All the zones will appear on the amp and music can be heard and then inexplicably it cuts off. Everything in on a UPS. Any suggestion on how to proceed with troubleshooting would be appreciated. Thanks.

I can check the fan as you suggested.

Is it reasonable to think that thermal protection would kick in at 10 seconds?

Is this a new amp. The 8 ch has a known fail point with the fans.

I'm thinking it is a POST check. Unlike a computer these happen later so you are not waiting for audio.

Which side of 2 years? How close to two years.

Http://Www.Control4.com/legal/warranty

These amps are warrantied for 2 years. They may also service it anyway as this is a known problem area.

http://www.cepro.com/article/control4_revamps_warranty_policy_training_marketing/#

indicates exchange should be straightforward.

Check in with your dealer for an rma no on it.

Source detection is not part of the design.

Any new information on this?  I just stated to have the exact same problem today right at my 2 year mark.

- If I’m playing in one room it will play for a few minutes before it cuts out

- If I’m playing in one room and try to add a couple additional rooms it will cut out pretty much right away.

- When it cuts out on the amp screen, all of the zone light up in red.

I have restarted the amp numerous times, which seems to reset the amp but it continues to happen again.

Any new information on this?  I just stated to have the exact same problem today right at my 2 year mark.

- If I’m playing in one room it will play for a few minutes before it cuts out   - If I’m playing in one room and try to add a couple additional rooms it will cut out pretty much right away.   - When it cuts out on the amp screen, all of the zone light up in red.   I have restarted the amp numerous times, which seems to reset the amp but it continues to happen again.

Contact your dealer right now. Say it is malfunctioning and you want it looked at under warranty.

I did and they are going to have a replacement ordered.

BUT....here is something super strange that I've figured out as I've been playing around.

In my family room, the audio is being amplified via my Yamaha receiver.  It has nothing to do with C4 amplifiers.

In testing, when I have the Yamaha receiver off controlling the zones via the C4 amps work totally normal.  As SOON as I turn on the Yamaha receiver and TV I instantly get zones that go red in protection mode?  

I can't figure it out?  Could it be some kind of power surge?  The whole system on on surge protectors?

Any thoughts would be great!   

Hey Cyknight...you are alway so helpful!

So just so you know nothing has changed at all on my system so this just started on its own.

I have 2 - 8 zone C4 amps controlled by the C4 Audio Matrix. The Yamaha controls the audio in the main TV room.  All of it is of course integrated together.

Regardless of what I do, the 2nd app and the zone on that amp are acting totally normal.  No issues like I'm having on the first amp.

My gut tells me to get the new replacement amp and see if that solves the issues since I have not had these issues at all prior?  Although the fact that having the family room equipment on seems to cause this issues does seem odd.

Any help or advice would be a huge help.

There could be some form of short in the matrix though - then again you mention you have TWO amps, and only one shuts down?

This is not something I'd ask you to troubleshoot yourself, but if I was the tech on site i'd have swapped all connections between amps and tested it - if it sticks with that same amp, it's the amp - if it moves over to the other amp, it's the matrix - well at least it isn't the amp.

I'd go one step further and move the yamaha connections over to the other side of the matrix - and again see what happens - this would eliminate the matrix or the yamaha most likely - then there's wires.....

That makes sense...I'm thinking I'm going to let them saw the amp and see what happens.  If that doesn't fix it they will need to do a deeper diagnostic. 

If I swap wires from Amp 1 to amp 2, is it just the RCA's and the speaker wires?  The matrix will tell the amp to turn on?

I have a couple of open spaces on the 2nd amp to try it.

• 1 year later...

I just bought a house with a C4 system installed in it and I'm having the same problem.  The amp that is cutting out is about 3 years old, so out of warranty.  But shouldn't a $1,700 amp last more than three years?  My rep, who installed this system for the prior owner, is saying either buy a new amp or send this in for repair at an estimated cost of around $800 - $1,000 (plus, presumably payment for any of his time spent on the matter).  Seems like there has to be a better answer.  Is there a way to contact C4 directly to explain the situation and ask for help?

@abemoore

mom guessing you have the matrix “smart” amp, OP had the “dumb” amps 

do you have att as your ISP and are you using their router?

when did you inherit the system and what is different now that at that time?

repair costs sound about right. C4 gear has a 2 year warranty and that’s tracked by the MAC address so hard to fudge it

14 hours ago, abemoore said:

I just bought a house with a C4 system installed in it and I'm having the same problem.  The amp that is cutting out is about 3 years old, so out of warranty.  But shouldn't a $1,700 amp last more than three years?  My rep, who installed this system for the prior owner, is saying either buy a new amp or send this in for repair at an estimated cost of around $800 - $1,000 (plus, presumably payment for any of his time spent on the matter).  Seems like there has to be a better answer.  Is there a way to contact C4 directly to explain the situation and ask for help?

So I do have an updated fo you.  BOTH of my 8 channel amps over the past 2 years ended up having the same problem.  Both were replaced by C4 through my dealer.  My dealer told me there was a known issue with the amps built at the time mine, and I'm guessing yours, were built.  Since I've had the new ones, there have been no issues.

• 5 months later...

We have had a couple of these fail and had one replaced under warranty, the last one recently was beyond the extended warranty, we have now identified the fail point and are happy to undertake the repair if you are in the UK and wish to ship it to us. contact us direct for a estimate

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.