C4 Forums | Control4

Repurposing HC1000V3

ILoveC4

I've got an HC1000V3 just sitting in my rack, powered off. Is there anything that can be repurposed for? Could a video card be added and have it run XBMC? Could it run MyMovies? Just trying to think of SOMETHINGS I can use it for...I don't want to throw it away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Yes, but before we start in response to your user name ILoveC4.......I hate C4. So onto the hacking. And yes, I used to be an installer. But enough hate...

I did this with a SATA HDD I had laying around, but no doubt you could do this with a bootable usb.

1) Disconnect all cables going to front panel mounted PCB.

2) Remove eSSD USB drive from front panel and install directly on MoBo. The motherboard in mine was an Intel D510MO, and it had a header specifically for a USB SSD. 

3) The factory eSSD in mine was only 2 GB, but thats plenty for an OpenELEC install. Boot from Ubuntu Live (USB or SATA) and follow manual install instructions for OpenELEC (google it) onto the SSD.

4)Remove, reboot, and enjoy KODI!

You may need to do some tweaking to get HD resolutions as that hardware only has VGA out. I had to force 1920x1080 using modelines, but it does work. There are other easier ways to install OpenELEC(install from USB) but I had already installed Ubuntu on the HC1000 before doing this, so that's the steps I took. Currently I use this as a TVHeadend PVR client and to stream movies, music, and tv shows from a NAS. So far its performed well enough to keep it around! Glad I didn't throw it out. Next I'll be adding a broadcom crystal HD mini PCI-E card to offload some of the decoding, and modding the C4 case to add a 120mm fan, but so far with the exception of my most demanding blu-ray rips I haven't been disappointed.  I've also added an ambilight setup to the TV this is connected to using boblight, but that's another post entirely :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived