C4 Forums | Control4

Upgrade

TheaterExtreme

can you send some pics of the inside? 

given that it runs on busybox, should be able to support quite a bit, but there's always hardware limitations and weird things (as i'm sure you're aware). i think the hardest part (not that it would be that hard at all actually) would be to ensure the contents of the existing HDD are transferred to the new, and you'll have to expand the volume of the drive.

cheers. yeah that's going to be interesting. they did include fdisk in the busybox build, but i'm hoping that one of the partitions holds just media and other "useless" data, and it can be extended (with potential data loss) without impacting anything important. 

maybe clonezilla could be used to clone the disk then the partitions could possibly be resized with something like partition magic or as Christopher mentioned if there is some sort of fdisk included? it is a standard sata SSD or is it a mini sata (msata) board type SSD?

what are the specs of the so-dimm please? that indeed may be a very beneficial and inexpensive upgrade?i have never monitored the RAM resources to see how taxed they get? 

as for the other pictures being too large to upload just resize them 50% or less in paint and re-save resized image, will be much smaller and you will have no issue uploading.

as for the hardware both are nothing special so replacing should be no issue.

issue lies they if the OS will have any advantage with upgraded RAM and SSD. Another potential issue is if the main login board is custom (i assume it is) then there may be a maximum supported by the chip set they used. it may only support 2GB RAM max for example. as for the SSD the only advantage i could see would be for increasing media storage capacity on the controller, typically either done on a esata drive externally or just pointing project to a NAS (increasingly common nowadays in many homes). still would be an interesting experiment i think. i would do it myself if i did not have 100 other unfinished projects already ;) 

well, for the amount of money these things cost, i would expect SLC flash memory, but given  it's a bit older, MLC is ok i guess. the form factor is also interesting but again, i guess due to age it made sense, and if i were them i woiuldn't change it either. i would hope newer EA-series would have either embedded storage (which isn't that smart IMO) or would have an msata card. 

i do agree with @vstar though, i dont really see a point of upgrading the onboard storage given you can expand with esata, usb, nas, etc. that said, memory i think could have a big impact, but also as vstar mentioned, depending on the rest of the chipset, you never know. but it's cheap enough to try it and see :)

Interesting project. I think a boost in performance can only be achieved via a RAM upgrade (might not be supported over 2GB since its a custom PCB) or, more important CPU - but that's probably impossible as it is soldered.

More interesting would be to built a custom box an out C4 OS onto it - but that might violate some terms of agreement....

18 minutes ago, C4Jedi said:

So vstar, you mentioned the cap on the announcements.... where do you think that is stored at? I honestly think it is in one of those 4 partitions! But i'll get to the bottom of it.

it is definitely on one of the partitions ( i would guess the largest) but it should be easy enough to test which one, put a large announcement on, check partition sizes, then delete announcement and check partition sizes, this will confirm which partition holds the announcements by the change in the allocated or free size of the partition?

but i as i stated earlier i suspect it is a limit in the OS and not the partition size. if it was a trivial change in the OS i would think they would have changed it long ago as people have been complaining about it for years and are forced to use workarounds like Alans advanced announcement driver or sonos driver. probably some limit that they put in director 1.0 and thought users would never use that much ;) kinda reminds me of the day i got my first 80 meg (yes meg) had drive, i thought i would never need more ;)

at the end of the day, we know it runs busybox, and since it's a SATA drive we can easily clone. that said, any proprietary stuff can usually be reverse engineered. i'm heading to Shenzhen in a few days, maybe i should bring my HC800 :)

Archived