C4 Forums | Control4

Specialty driver to fix certain switching issues - AV Local Source

Control4 AV Local Source is a new driver from Control4 that is intended as an 'in between' driver for local sources, or local audio outputs.

This can be used to automatically force a source to only be available in a specific room removing the need to hide that source elsewhere, but ALSO to prevent audio pathing issue.

Effectively this allows you to force certain audio paths, or prevent others.

Basic examples:

- Multi zone amplifiers using zones but no HDMI conversion to secondary zones. Allows you to force the main zone to use HDMI, pushing a stereo connection to secondary zones.

-Using a TV for audio conversion (ie hdmi to stereo) - force that TV audio out path to only be available for THAT room. Meaning the matrix to matrix issue normally caused by feeding that audio out to a matrix switch is eliminated (TV in another room turning on for audio syndrome)

-Having a game console into a video matrix switch, this driver would force that console to be available only in THAT room, and not be visible anywhere else.

-Automatically hide a local bluray player's stereo audio connection in rooms other than the local one if fed into a multi-zone amplifier. (No need to hide it as a 'listen' source in every other room)

• 2 years later...

Thanks folks. So I''ve installed the local source driver.

I have then set the following connections on it. 

HDMI Input video connected to Lounge OSD->HDMI(audio/Video)  - Lounge OSD is the EA1 at the back of the longe TV

HDMI Output video to BeoVision->HDMI2  - BeoVision is the B&O tv

Stereo Audio output to BeoVision->LineIn

What I'm now uncertain of is how to configure the endpoints in the RoomControl section of the Lounge. In particular, how do I get the TV to switch itself on and select LIneIn either when I ask to play TuneIn or MyMusic in the lounge or when I add the lounge as a zone when there is music already playing elsewhere.

Can anyone please help me here?

Thanks again,

Anthony

4 hours ago, Anthony Mckay said:

Stereo Audio output to BeoVision->LineIn

? EA1 doesn't have stereo output.

Regardless I don't believe you're looking at the right driver, including the path setter driver.

What I'm assuming you're looking at is:

There IS no current audio path available for streaming music to the TV.

You WANT to use the EA1 that is local to feed audio to the TV (note that HDMI audio is not always perfectly synced).

All you would need is to just hook it up directly, and set the TV as the audio endpoint and audio volume endpoint in addition to the video ones).

UNLESS you're trying to tell me there IS a stereo feed tot he TV and you want to make sure the EA1 is NOT used for audio - in which case there's a check box on the EA1 to disable HDMI audio...

I can get it working if use the HDMI from the EA1 for video AND audio. I am using  HDMI2 on the TV. The trouble |I have with this  configuration is if when TV is switched off |(nad has been off for several house) if I then come along to my Control4 and want to say listen to TuneIN, the TV turns on but there is no picture and no sound. Upon investigation by my dealer (before they went bust) they found that selecting music in this way instructs the TV to select HDMI 2 as expected however the EA1 does not see any video and therefore somehow closes the HDMI link down. [NB if the HDMI has video present on it within the last few hours then it all works OK - it only objects if it sees audio without having seen video for a couple of hours].  If instead I select the on-screen navigator and select TuneIn that way, the TV sees there OSD video signal and all works fine. The other problem with the current configuration is I might have music on in another room and then decide to Add Zone to include the lounge as I have great speakers connected to the TV. The TV turns on but same problem as before.  So my hopeful solution was to use an audio de-embedder on the HDMI link between the EA1 and the TV and feed stereo audio out from the de-embedder into the TV's stereo line-in. Physically this is fine. However I cannot see the TV's stereo LineIn as an audio endpoint anywhere in Control4. I was hoping there may be some trick to get around this. Ultimately what I want to happen is that when I select any form of digital music for control4 to have the TV select LineIn (and switch itself on) instead of selecting HDMI2.

Any ideas?

2 hours ago, Anthony Mckay said:

Upon investigation by my dealer (before they went bust) they found that selecting music in this way instructs the TV to select HDMI 2 as expected however the EA1 does not see any video and therefore somehow closes the HDMI link down.

? So do screens TELL you there is music playing?

While theoretically not impossible, it would be the first time I've ever seen this happen.

2 hours ago, Anthony Mckay said:

However I cannot see the TV's stereo LineIn as an audio endpoint anywhere in Control4.

Nor would you - you would see the TV itself.

In this scenario, the issue is possibly just that the TV won't play audio when it doesn't sense video.

In fact, I wonder if that isn't what you're seeing in the original setup, because the EA1 screensaver is set to blank?

Archived