C4 Forums | Control4

ADT Coming For Install Consult Wednesday

What type of questions should I be prepared to ask? House is 4200 sq ft two story Colonial, 4 exterior doors, 1 sliding glass patio door, 3 garage doors, two interior doors to the house and in-law apt from the garage, a basement bulkhead door, and a ton of windows. 

Garage doors are already tied into C4 using the MyQ Lift master setup. They also have the automatic locks that engage when the door closes.

Nothing is pre drilled so I am assuming Bluetooth sensors with batteries that need replacing on a regular basis?

Can the Bluetooth be hacked to prevent an alarm?

I don't have a landline, is one required for monitoring/reporting, and can, everything be done via Internet and mobile phone?

When the weather is mild, we like to sleep with bedroom windows open. Can the system still be armed in this condition?

Do I have to unarm the system to let my dog out in the middle of the night?

Sorry for all the NewB questions, but I want to ensure I the most out of the security system and C4 integration. 

It's not Bluetooth it's RF, and the batteries will normally last a few years. 

Yes you can get a cellular radio that handles all the reporting. Will cost a few bucks extra per month. 

Yes you can bypass zones and arm the system (sleeping with windows open)

not sure about Honeywell but DSC has an "exit" feature that will give you 90 seconds to open close zones without triggering alarms. Honeywell may have the same or you will need to disarm/arm  

Make sure you get a 4232 module so you can integrate with c4

4 minutes ago, Bullseye said:

For arming with Windows open you could use 2 magnets on the window, one for closed position and other for partially open and still will trigger the alarm if moved.

That does work until you wake up freezing and groggy in the middle of the night and shut the window. 

For that matter is your bedroom 1st or 2nd floor? I wouldn't bother with the 2nd floor Windows anyway unless you wanna keep your kids from sneaking out and smoking cig/weed on the roof

I would not use a company that only does installs based on repeat revenue from monthly monitoring. Especially if you are going gsm (cell service since you don't have lan line)  get in touch with a local alarm company to give you a local system (no monitoring) and get a hybrid system (hardwire and wireless compatible) installed close to your c4 equipment. I recommend dsc power series. Your up front cost might be more than adt offers as there will be no reaccuring revenue but now you won't be on a contract. Once you connect to your c4 system you can just set up notification to as many people as you like. And as long as you have a touchscreen you will not need to install another keypad just for alarm. 

Also with bypassing bedroom windows, I have a configurable keypad in my master were if one of the buttons is pressed it automatically turns off all interior lights, turns off any audio or video zones and bypasses just the bedroom windows then arms system in stay mode.  If I don't want to bypass any windows I just use my touchscreen or c4 app on any device

So ADT wanted $3200 to install a DSC Impassa 9057 panel that won't interface with the IT100 panel so it's not able to integrate into Control4. The installer put me on the phone with a manager who tried to give me the hard sell - I told him if it's not able to be fully integrated into C4, it was a no go. 

They were too stupid to realize that the DSC1864 w/ IT100 (that they sell) would work just fine. Oh well, I think I will follow 2bc4's recommendation above and build my own system. 

ADT usually has regianal/local installers - but I can tell you that yes, ADT can supply DSC panels that use the it-100 or it-230 (PowerPC series) or the TL-280 (NEO series) that can be integrated.

In addition, they do GE/Interlogix Concord4 or Concord Express that can be used with the Superbus-2000 module.

If you ARE building it yourself, make sure you get a panel the monitoring company you want will accept - they can be picky at times.

In the same boat.  The few local installers I had come out all gave me crazy high quotes ($45+ per wireless contact) and didn't have any experience or knowledge with what was needed for C4 integration.  Thinking of building and installing my own system starting with this: 

Does anybody know if this dual communicator module will work for both monitoring comm and C4 IP integration:

instead of using the 4232 module?

Like I said your up front cost would be higher but no monthly payment as you would self monitor. I recommend dsc 1832 with it100. Your security installer will set it up as aa local system and your c4 dealer will integrate

Is ADT the only monitoring company you have looked at?  There are many out there that might support the system you need to incorporate into Control4.  I went with a local monitoring company that supported DSC.  Been working fine for the last 7 years using the IT100 module.  

On 8/8/2016 at 7:01 AM, 2bc4 said:

You can find everything you need on amazon.com if you want to try yourself but if you price it out you are probably better off getting a professional to do it. What area are you in

When I priced mine out it was over $1000 cheaper for equipment including pre-programming by seller.  Local installer also quoted me $1500 for  labor on top of that.  I'm all about supporting local businesses and willing to pay a markup to do so.  But only to a point.  I'm not willing to pay 300% markups.  (I'm in SoCal).

17 hours ago, Steelermedallion said:

Which security panels integrate best with C4? Does C4 have any preferred alliances/partnerships for security.

If you were putting in security at same time as c4, who would you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howdy. As a C4 dealer that also does security we use ourselves :)

There are many panels that integrate with C4, and many that don't. We use the GE panels and the 587 virtual keypad module. Others will use DSC, Honeywell, Elk, etc. Best bet is to talk to your dealer and see which one they prefer to work with.

here is my shopping list.  Any thoughts on things I missed or messed up. I am assuming the TL280-R with serial port will function same as IT-100 with the neo system. Is that correct?

TL280-R Automation Controller Interface - TL280-R
3G8080IAT  Cellular Allarm Communicator
NEO HS2064NKCP01 DSC Neo 64 zone Alarm processing unit (DSC PowerSeries NEO HS2064NKCP01 Board and Cabinet)
DSC PTC1640  System Power Transformer
DSC RFK5564 LCD Alpha numeric alarm control station w/wireless receiver
DSC WS4945 Wireless Alarm window/door sensors (26)
PG9984P Wireless Motion Detectors (3)
PG9926 Wireless smoke detectors (3)
SD15W  DSC SD15W Surface Mount 15 Watt Interior Siren
BD412 DSC BD412 System Backup Battery (12 volt 4 amp)

Rfk5564 not compatible with neo panel

With this many wireless devices I would recommend an external Rf reciever as signal strength is stonger. 

You would only need gsm if you want system monitored by a monitoring station. If you set up notifications you can monitor yourself and anyone else you would want to get signals. 

My recommendation is if you want dsc system go with 1864 panel with it100, dw4975 contacts, ws4904 motions, rf5132 reciever and a simple pk5501 keypad if you dont have a touchscreen for your c4 system.  If you want an alpha keypad that has zone discript go with pk5500. 

But like previously mentioned talk to your c4 dealer and see what they know how to integrate before buying all your equipment

Thanks for catching that . Will adjust keypad to DSC PowerSeries NEO HS2LCDRFP9ENG and add external receiver.   I prefer to Neo system over the 1864 for the several advantages: PowerG wirelss range, 128-bit AES encryption, WebSA interface, etc...

Why do you recommend the 1864 over the Neo?

Archived