C4 Forums | Control4

Napster (formerly Rhapsody) Issue

I'm not sure I follow that logic either.  Quickly repairing a broken service that already existed and taking proactive measures to prevent future occurances isn't new features.  Especially when it isn't earth shattering news or new intellectual property.  Its playing a stream from a service that has existed on their platform for years.  I'm calling BS on that one.

I work in IT and when something breaks we do post mortem reviews and root cause analysis.  We communicate to our customers what we are doing to prevent it in the future.  We don't tell them sorry that is private information because it is a new feature, and yes I work for a publicly traded company.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure I follow that logic either.  Quickly repairing a broken service that already existed and taking proactive measures to prevent future occurances isn't new features.  Especially when it isn't earth shattering news or new intellectual property.  Its playing a stream from a service that has existed on their platform for years.  I'm calling BS on that one.

I work in IT and when something breaks we do post mortem reviews and root cause analysis.  We communicate to our customers what we are doing to prevent it in the future.  We don't tell them sorry that is private information because it is a new feature, and yes I work for a publicly traded company.

But it's not just fixing a broken stream. It's not like the URL changed. The file format changed. Control4 doesn't have codecs to support the new format

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what everyone's complaining about.  They said they're working on it.  When a patch is out, dealers will be notified.  At this point it'll likely coincide with 2.9 at CEDIA.  And if you're running director on 200/300 start thinking about jumping on the 10 or 15% upgrade deal to a new processor.

The issue is lack of communication between napster-c4.  Which turns to lack of information to cunsumers.

I think that with some communication this issue could have been avoided.

in the mean time we are paying for a service that doesnt work for us.

Time to cancel????

We have received reports of interruptions to the playback of music through Napster (previously known as Rhapsody) on Control4 systems. Napster has started a transition from the previous RAD file format to AAC. The transition is happening gradually as they process their entire music library.

The new AAC format is not currently support by Control4, therefore songs that have been converted cannot playback through our systems. This is causing some playback issues, including songs to appear to be missing or unplayable, as well as introducing long pauses between tracks in a playlist.

Snipped for readability.

Paul Williams

VP, Solutions - Control4

The format Napster is using is something control4 doesn't support

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Per the quoted press release.

Napster has started a transition from the previous RAD file format to AAC.

Which is supported. All my music is in that format. Only older controllers don't support AAC.

1 hour ago, SMHarman said:

Which is supported. All my music is in that format. Only older controllers don't support AAC.

Compression format vs Codec - just because something can play files in AAC compression doesn't mean it can play all codex in that compression.

2 hours ago, Adidaswood said:

We communicate to our customers what we are doing to prevent it in the future.  We don't tell them sorry that is private information because it is a new feature

And you send out emails daily? Do daily updates? Weekly updates along the lines of - nothing new to report?

And you send out emails daily? Do daily updates? Weekly updates along the lines of - nothing new to report?

Actually in my enterprise there is a daily top 50 it systems email that goes out and also makes note of forward plans of changes... Not saying that is applicable to c4

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Yes, every day if necessary sometimes more often if the situation requires it.  While the the status at times is nothing new to report, the updates are more along the lines of what our action plan is, and when we expect to complete that next action and when we will communicate next.  Letting them know we are not just sitting idle. It's about being a good partner and being upfront and honest.  The absolute easiest thing to do is give regular and timely updates.  Does wonders, even though the S%&T is hitting the fan.  The best part is the guys doing the fixing aren't the ones that have to worry about that.  We have a communication team that does that, I believe our OP might know something about that or not.  and the customers get to feel like they aren't in the dark, even if things don't happen overnight.

It isn't hard it's just plain ole good customer service.

28 minutes ago, achoudhary said:

Sorry about my rant but this sounds like:

1. Feature broken
2. Focus on fix
3. Sell upgrade to customer
4. Make customer pay more $$ to dealer to help upgrade

The fix isn't gonna be a paying upgrade...don't jump to assumptions.....wait for the news...

Thanks everyone for your patience as we have worked through solving this issue.

As previously reported, Napster (Rhapsody) recently made a change in their streaming file format.  This change requires changes to the Napster (Rhapsody) audio system within Control4 in order to support this change.

For systems running OS2.6.X and newer software versions:

We have created a software patch for the OS2.8.2 version of software.  In order to manually run the patch, the system will need to be on the OS2.8.2 software release.

Below are the specific recommendations for each software version:

OS2.6.X – Upgrade to OS2.8.2 and apply Napster Software Patch

OS2.7.X – Upgrade to OS2.8.2 and apply Napster Software Patch

OS2.8.0 – Upgrade to OS2.8.2 and apply Napster Software Patch

OS2.8.1 – Upgrade to OS2.8.2 and apply Napster Software Patch

OS2.8.2 – Apply the Napster Software Patch

There are many good reasons to update customers to the latest version of software (OS2.8.2).  To see the list of major features and products that have been added by release, please see the following Knowledgebase article: https://dealer.control4.com/dealer/knowledgebase/article/1738

In addition to the major features and products added with each software version, each release contains many bug fixes and minor features that continue to add stability to the platform.

The Knowledgeable article with the link to the patch and patch instructions can be found here: https://dealer.control4.com/dealer/knowledgebase/article/1736

Beginning September 12, 2016 we will automatically patch systems running OS2.8.2 that have not had the patch applied.

For systems running on OS2.5.3 and older software versions:

As a reminder, hardware running OS2.5.3 was designed and began shipping between 4 and 9 years ago. We have worked really hard to keep these older systems operational while technology continues to move forward in all areas of the connected home. Recent changes in the Napster streaming service, along with changes in the Control4 platform since the release of OS2.5.3, have unfortunately left us in a place where we can no longer support Napster (Rhapsody) without changes to the project running OS2.5.3.  Specifically, the older controllers do not have the horsepower and capabilities necessary for us to decode and process the AAC stream from Napster.

Systems running OS2.5.3 have the following options (ordered in order of least impact, cost and logistics to the largest):

Option 1: Remove the Rhapsody driver from the project and not use Napster (Rhapsody).

Option 2: Where Napster (Rhapsody) are being provided into the Control4 system into an Audio Matrix Switch or Matrix Amplifier, a Sonos CONNECT could be added to the system to provide the Napster (Rhapsody) stream to the home (system must be running OS2.5.3).  A driver for the Sonos CONNECT is available for OS2.5.3.

Option 3: Remove end-of-life Control4 products that prevent upgrade to OS2.8.2 from the project, upgrade to OS2.8.2 and apply the Napster Patch.  The list of end-of-life Control4 products can be found here: https://dealer.control4.com/dealer/knowledgebase/article/974

Option 4: Upgrade end-of-life Control4 products in the project to products that will allow upgrade to OS2.8.2, upgrade to OS2.8.2 and apply the Napster Patch.  Contact your Area Sales Manager for special pricing.

We do value your business and patience and apologize in advance for any inconvenience that this may cause you.

A dealer and customer email blast will be sent out within the next 24 hours with this information.

Paul Williams

VP of Solutions

As I had mentioned in my earlier post, I'm on 2.5.3 and will have to upgrade. I must admit I can't blame C4 entirely for changes Napster is making. 

Is applying the patch if you are on 2.8.2 available for end-users i.e. customers?

Patches can only be applied by dealers, unless the patch is 'pushed' by Control4.

In Paul's message, he mentioned that beginning on the 12th of September, Control4 was pushing the patch out to all systems already running 2.8.2.

RyanE

If C4 is pushing out patches - will that be just for this - or all future patches?

Can I assume that pushing out patches means the dealer is not going to have to touch my system for the patch to be applied?

If future patches are pushed out (like the Chrome browser model) how do we prevent a future patch from killing hardware we are not willing to part with due to an "upgrade"

Thanks

If C4 is pushing out patches - will that be just for this - or all future patches?

Can I assume that pushing out patches means the dealer is not going to have to touch my system for the patch to be applied?

If future patches are pushed out (like the Chrome browser model) how do we prevent a future patch from killing hardware we are not willing to part with due to an "upgrade"

Thanks

C4 evaluates each patch and pushes certain ones. This isn't the first c4 pushed patch nor the last) note these are patches not entire os updates. They have never pushed those

Great - thanks. I don't follow patches and updates - have always left that to my dealer, who always has informed me over the past 8 years what equipment will no longer function when I update.

Planned obsolescence I guess.  :-)

Great - thanks. I don't follow patches and updates - have always left that to my dealer, who always has informed me over the past 8 years what equipment will no longer function when I update.

Planned obsolescence I guess.  :-)

Yeah. Difference between patches and updates is key. Patches fix bugs without requiring upgrades and don't eol hardware. While upgrades are more significant and may eol hardware

This is something of a combination though. The patch is ONLY for 2.8.2 systems - current systems would get this patch pushed through. This is pretty rare by the way, and only used for potential major issues like this one, or ssl updates, or system killers etc.

Assuming the checkbox in your account isn't turned off for remote support access.

Any other systems would need to be updated and THEN patched - and THAT string of events will require the dealer to apply it manually.

Assuming you are on 2.6 and up - we're just talking sofware/

Pre 2.6 though...

Archived