C4 Forums | Control4

Coming Soon - IFTTT driver adds voice recognition, geofencing, connected car, smart appliances and more

alanchow

Am I dense or is this documentation lacking? I can't even figure out where to find my IFTTT Maker Key. The screens I see in IFTTT don't look like the screenshots in the application. I hope that once I get the hang of it things get a little easier, but as of now I feel like I'm step 3 of about 40 steps, and I'm already frustrated.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right. I'm playing around with the string variable, but finding that it is often picking up extra words. IE: I will have it setup to say "turn $ the kitchen lights" where $ can be ON or OFF. I have google assistant set to read back "Okay, I will turn $ the kitchen lights". What it is often reading back to me is "I will turn on the the kitchen lights". The extra THE makes it so none of my logic fires.

Has anyone found any certain words like this that seem to trip the thing up?

So, I bought two of these (for now) and put one in the great room and one in my master bedroom.

Is there a way to tell the one in the bedroom to turn on the TV to $ and have it know that I want it to happen in the bedroom? I would prefer to not have to say Turn on the Master Bedroom TV to $. I want it to know it's in the master bedroom. Is that possible?

Is it just me, or does this have an issue when you go back and edit an applet?

IE: I initially set it up to say "will you turn off $ lights" it works great. Now when I edit it to add the option to say "turn off $ lights" it doesn't register that.

Is anyone else running in to anything similar?

2 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

A heads up for anyone who is diving in to this, a best practice I've found save programming time is to program off of "Turn On $" and "Turn Off $" so that you can use them for lights, TV's, fans, fireplaces, music, etc...

Yet thats what i did as well.  Also use Set $ to # percent or Set $ to # works well for thermostats and lighting.

Yet thats what i did as well.  Also use Set $ to # percent or Set $ to # works well for thermostats and lighting.

Yeah, that's the next thing I'm going to do. I wasted a bit of time with testing and failing to think through the best way to set things up for universal use. I did get about 1/3 of my lights setup for on and off, as well my fireplaces and one TV. I setup my sleep timers and a few other little things as well.

I'd also never used Pushover or any of that before, so the learning curve was a little steeper for me. I'm excited to knock it all out tonight.

Is anyone else having an issue where if you go EDIT an Applet that Google Assistant doesn't recognize the edits? I have to turn the applet off and create a new one with the edits I want in order for it to work.

The one other thing that would be nice is if it could somehow recognize that the command it understood was invalid and communicate that back to you. I.E.: I can say "turn off the bathtub" and it will say back to me "Okay, I will turn off the bathtub" even though there is no programming around the variable "the bathtub".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm having an issue where Google Home seems to be caching an applet that I no longer have. It's still treating that applet as though it is in place, although it is not. I have done a factory reset on the Google Home units. Has anyone ran in to this?

12 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

Is anyone else having an issue where if you go EDIT an Applet that Google Assistant doesn't recognize the edits? I have to turn the applet off and create a new one with the edits I want in order for it to work.

been able to edit mine using the configure option at the top right w/o issue

16 hours ago, alanchow said:

Yeah...I am trying to get this one setup but it isn't working. Google just tells me that it can't help with that? Weird.

12 minutes ago, huj_man said:

been able to edit mine using the configure option at the top right w/o issue

Interesting that it works for you. After posting here I did some Googling and it's a very well known and well documented bug/error with the integration. It sounds like there is some uncertainty as to whether Google is at fault or IFTTT is at fault, but there is very much an issue of old deleted/changed/removed Applets still executing as if they were there.

I got home tonight and a couple of the ones that I had deleted but will still executing this morning have stopped and it's working as it should, so maybe it's just a timing thing now or maybe they fixed it.

Oddly enought, I cannot get "dim $ to # percent" or "set $ to # percent" to work at all. I set it up in IFTTT, and Google Home just tells me that it doesn't understand.

2 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

Oddly enought, I cannot get "dim $ to # percent" or "set $ to # percent" to work at all. I set it up in IFTTT, and Google Home just tells me that it doesn't understand.

hmm - that's odd.  (I'm assuming you are using the right option - the pharse and number, when you set it up?).  I decided to keep it simple and don't even say percent.  I have "dim/set $ to #" and that works fine

30 minutes ago, huj_man said:

hmm - that's odd.  (I'm assuming you are using the right option - the pharse and number, when you set it up?).  I decided to keep it simple and don't even say percent.  I have "dim/set $ to #" and that works fine

yeah it won't work with set $ to # percent.  It will work with set $ to # % though.

Alan,

I would like to request a feature.  As I am doing the programming I use IFTTT phrases like "Turn on $" or "Raise $".  To be flexible I always program 2 versions of everything in C4 using both the definite article and not.  For example I setup 2 programming actions for "kitchen lights" and "the kitchen lights".  If your driver could optionally strip off leading definite articles like "the" it would cut my programming time in half.  I wish control4 could do regexp matching in programming or even glob matching.  It would really make programming for google home much easier.

Great driver.  Really enjoy using it.

14 minutes ago, PapaSmurf74 said:

Alan,

I would like to request a feature.  As I am doing the programming I use IFTTT phrases like "Turn on $" or "Raise $".  To be flexible I always program 2 versions of everything in C4 using both the definite article and not.  For example I setup 2 programming actions for "kitchen lights" and "the kitchen lights".  If your driver could optionally strip off leading definite articles like "the" it would cut my programming time in half.  I wish control4 could do regexp matching in programming or even glob matching.  It would really make programming for google home much easier.

Great driver.  Really enjoy using it.

That is not a bad idea.  Expanding on it i will probably add in two properties into the driver.

1 - phrases to truncate (comma seperated phrases/words)

2 - change to lowercase (true / false)

I'm also thinking of updating my Kodi Full and Plex Full drivers to be able to launch movies via a action that includes a string variable.  This will mean that you can use Google Home to playback any movie if you have Kodi or Plex.

That's exactly right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah it won't work with set $ to # percent.  It will work with set $ to # % though.

Crazy. Got stuck with this issue this weekend too. The driver documentation references "percent". So that probably needs to be updated. It wasn't a big deal for me as I eventually figured it out and dropped percent from my string entirely.

Archived