C4 Forums | Control4

Unexpensive RFID reader that can be used with Control4?

ziocan

OK, I figured out I posted in this "Push the Envelope" area some threads that actually aren't pushing anything. Apologies about that.

Maybe this one will do though :-)

Background: I have 3 cats at home that are wearing RFID tags. Each tag opens each cat's own bowl since they are on different prescription diets.

I wonder if there is a way to set up an RFID reader (well, some of them) around the house to have cat's passage fire a C4 event? It seems to me that there are only enterprise RFID implementations available, which actually makes sense :-) However I would like to experiment with some unexpensive RFID readers if there's something that works with or can be integrated with Control4.

Any hint appreciated!!

Thanks,

Rick

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Thank you, I will evaluate trackr to see what it is all about. The bowl maker doesn't make hi tech stuff, it makes pet stuff, even if these bowls are amazing.

Rick

The rfid tags the cats have, are they on an external tag they wear around the neck? If so, what frequency to they work in. There are a few out there like 125khz and others. There are readers available that can work with these frequencies and can be integrated via rs232. I have a few ideas as I have been experimenting with user locations in homes.

Drop me line with details on he bowl and tags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, yes my cats have a tag which is tied to their collar (the bowl can work with the under-the-skin chips too but our cats are not chipped).

That said, I have no idea what frequency these use.  Also it would be nice to extend to concept to people (wife and me) so that lights in a room turn on when we walk through the door....

Rick

Could. But that method would only detect that there is a cat(User) present. Not individual identification. The other option is a driver and device from Houselogix that will allow up to 500 users and can be programmed up to 25 readers. Then users(cats-humans) can be edited easily via a web interface.

Control4 programming can made to specific readers and or users during certain times or other variables to trigger specific events.

https://www.houselogix.com/shop/access-control-control4-driver-license

https://www.houselogix.com/shop/wiegand

The last URL is for hardware to connect up to 4 basic readers using the wiegand 26 protocol. Into one serial port in your controller. Most inexpensive readers use this method. Another option is to connect a single reader directly to rs232 but usually are slightly more expensive. However, rs232 can be converted to wifi compatible easily enough with another device.

I should note that the wiegand option is a good one because you can also use keypads for code programming as well. And the code can be any length you want. Letting you choose from a huge selection or readers, keypads, and reader/keypads on the market.

My largest project has 6 wiegand adapters and 25 readers and 2 keypads at 22 doors with a combination of door strikes and magnetic locks with 40 users all running on an HC250 with two I/O extenders for the serial connections. I have the keypads and specific users triggering certain events to open doors with some users also triggering an email to manager upon access and some users can swipe and manager gets notified via text and then decide to deny or give access via C4 app in real time.

Archived