C4 Forums | Control4

VoicePod Shut Down / Out of Business

voicepod

All:

As many of you know, we've been testing our VoicePod for Alexa app for many months and the feedback has been very positive on our sophisticated cloud-based app solution.  Yet, you have probably noticed that there doesn't seem to be much movement on it.  

Unfortunately, as of today we have decided to close the voicepod business and all servers and services have been shut down.   The venture was never profitable and all principals have moved on to more promising ventures.  We also believe that Control4 is going to be releasing their own support for Alexa soon and this discouraged us from investing further.   

We are proud to have been pioneers in voice controlled home automation.  But at this time, with the "big boys" including Apple, Microsoft, Google and Amazon all working on this technology, it's hard to know how and where to invest.  R&D for cloud-based solutions can be very expensive and selling drivers for a few hundred dollars can be a difficult business model.

We've had a good run with VoicePod but we're not investing further in it at this time.   If any of you have serious interest in acquiring our code base and taking over the VoicePod legacy, we'd be happy to chat about that topic.   The tabletop product will continue to function but the mobile products and Alexa beta programs are shut off and closed as of today.

Thanks for understanding.

Ted Rosenberger

Co-founder

HouseLogix and VoicePod, LLC

ted@voicepod.com

VoicePod was split off into a separate company several years ago.  We we close to being acquired several times by big players but voice recognition is such a difficult business that every deal fell apart.  Thanks to  all of you for your understanding.   I have a long history of building successful enterprises and we put six figures and years of effort into all the flavors of voicepod.  But in the end, it's the domain of the big guys.  Amazon reportedly has $100M invested in Alexa.  If I could get my hands on their code, it would be amazing as we have many innovations they could use.  But they are non-responsive to our requests and I'm tired of the chase!

Archived