C4 Forums | Control4

Nvidia shield IR

sonic30101

Question

I have been using it for a while with no issues. Tried doing it via IP but the LanMote app you install on the shield seems to have an issue either with the shield when rooted or with marshmallow so i gave up ip control 

Thanks. I'm using it too. Works great.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I have been using it without any issues, I rooted mine and tried the LanMote route with the kodi driver but I believe there are issues with LanMote and the version of android the shield uses because some commands dont work through the web gui so I just stuck with the IR route. Was reading somewhere that the new one may not have an IR window though so we will just have to see 

7 hours ago, ryanm said:

Is there a difference between the android driver included in the newest kodi full and the individual android driver? 

What? You're recommending I buy one android tv device and a second to watch kodi?

Though it will work a dedicated Kodi client will always work better.  Not because of playback issues or processing power but because when the Kodi app has closed then all communications to Control4 stop functioning.  As such when you click on any of the Kodi Full mini drivers (Movies, TV Shows, Music, Video Addons, Youtube, etc) you will get a message pop up saying that the DEVICE IS DISCONNECTED and that Control4 will attempt to turn the device on and to try again in a few minutes.  At this point the driver will launch the app and you have to click on the mini app again.  Now some people may be ok with this but in some cases it is unacceptable (eg my wife would hate this).

3 hours ago, ryanm said:

Is there a difference between the android driver included in the newest kodi full and the individual android driver? 

What? You're recommending I buy one android tv device and a second to watch kodi?

In the end it depends on what you want really. Yes there's a difference - the 'full' android driver works similar to Roku drivers and other where you can have 'mini' drivers to select things like Netflix directly. If you want browsing movies through C4 - it works 'best' to have a device that just runs KODI. If you want both options - use it for KODI and browse through C4 AND have the ability to easily select and use other services - it will work smoothest to have separate devices.

On 9/4/2016 at 8:06 PM, alanchow said:

Martijn is correct.  Our Kodi Full and Kodi Lite drivers have our Android driver built in.  The driver is smart enough to detect that you have quit the Kodi app and changes itself to control Android.  It is also smart enough so that when you select Kodi as a source in Control4 it will send a command to startup the Kodi app if the app is not currently running.

Note as per the installation guide you will need to install root your shield and install/configure LANmote Deluxe.

On 9/29/2016 at 0:06 PM, Cyknight said:

I will say if you want to use 'kodi' the driver - it's best to just have dedicated players.

On 9/30/2016 at 3:06 AM, Cyknight said:

Kodi has an android driver, though Alan just made a huge update to the android (solo) driver.

I will say if you want to use 'kodi' the driver - it's best to just have dedicated players.

Yes. Hence my request and thread for a dedicated OpenELEC 4K Kodi box...  

Ok, I am rooted and got deluxe installed which was a little tricky having to download the app to my phone then back it up and side load it since the Android TV play store doesnt have all android apps. I am not sure if anyone else is running into an issue where if you log into the webpage for the lanmote server. 192.168.1.xxx:9999 only certain commands work. I can control the device in the mouse tab, media tab and app launch commands work flawlessly. but the Keypad tab which has the d-pad and enter commands are not working. 

On 9/4/2016 at 8:43 AM, Cyknight said:

The KODI driver only controls KODI.

The ANDROID driver, which is available both separately and I believe is included WITH the KODI driver controls the actual unit.

Martijn is correct.  Our Kodi Full and Kodi Lite drivers have our Android driver built in.  The driver is smart enough to detect that you have quit the Kodi app and changes itself to control Android.  It is also smart enough so that when you select Kodi as a source in Control4 it will send a command to startup the Kodi app if the app is not currently running.

Note as per the installation guide you will need to install root your shield and install/configure LANmote Deluxe.

Archived