C4 Forums | Control4

Updated list of Recommend Routers

dapostol73

Hello All,

I'm looking for the latest list of recommended routers, the current list I have is old and has no router that supports AC3200.  I have an issue with my current one and may need to swap it out and would like to use something that is current.

Thanks,

21 hours ago, Cyknight said:

You shouldn't use a router's WiFi to begin with.

Cy,

Is there a reason not to use the router's WiFi?

I just added 3 UniFi access points to extend my wireless range out to my gazebo so am transitioning away from my router's WiFi but wasn't sure if there was a reason you recommend not using the router for wireless....

Most routers have a hard enough time keeping up with it's gateway function and the network's consecutive sessions.

It simply said shouldn't be doing MORE work. Not to mention that most of them do that work at a mediocre level at best.

A router should be a Gateway appliance (and sure, firewall, no need to go completely commercial setup here) and a DHCP server, nothing else.

Two connections - one to the internet modem (well ok unless you're doing multi router load balancing or failover of course) and one to a central network switch.

Don't have it be a wifi access point and a network switch as well (and using the wifi by default makes it into a network switch by he way).

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

Most routers have a hard enough time keeping up with it's gateway function and the network's consecutive sessions.

It simply said shouldn't be doing MORE work. Not to mention that most of them do that work at a mediocre level at best.

A router should be a Gateway appliance (and sure, firewall, no need to go completely commercial setup here) and a DHCP server, nothing else.

Two connections - one to the internet modem (well ok unless you're doing multi router load balancing or failover of course) and one to a central network switch.

Don't have it be a wifi access point and a network switch as well (and using the wifi by default makes it into a network switch by he way).

Thanks for the excellent explanation!

Cy,

Is there a reason not to use the router's WiFi?

I just added 3 UniFi access points to extend my wireless range out to my gazebo so am transitioning away from my router's WiFi but wasn't sure if there was a reason you recommend not using the router for wireless....

Mainly the reason is it is not good and sub optimally positioned.

Remember the dealers dont want to be getting calls from customers about bad wifi or networking. That's like calling back your plumber for leaks or your electrician because an outlet sparks. It's basic infrastructure.

Its also a great part of the smart home visitor experience to help hook new customers when a visitor exclaims how the wifi works so well and the owner says talk to Bob at home integrator tech.

The UniFi have good hand-off between the access points. Adding another to replace the wifi from your router should give seamless wifi across the home.

The target is to have a dedicated cable modem or whatever is needed to get wan to lan. Then a dedicated switch with a robust backplane to shift digital video streams and Control4 packets around then we'll placed wireless access points to give shameless wifi access to that infrastructure. Hence different appliances for different parts.

4 hours ago, SMHarman said:

The UniFi have good hand-off between the access points. Adding another to replace the wifi from your router should give seamless wifi across the home.

The target is to have a dedicated cable modem or whatever is needed to get wan to lan. Then a dedicated switch with a robust backplane to shift digital video streams and Control4 packets around then we'll placed wireless access points to give shameless wifi access to that infrastructure. Hence different appliances for different parts.

I actually just added 3 UniFi AP Pros to do the job but they do not perform handing off per their technicians.  You have to disconnect and reconnect to a closer AP.  I assume to get handoff you have to go up a step in models which gets more and more expensive.

3 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Your tech is right.  There is no handoff on unifi aps.

they have a setting for it, that was supposed to be used for VoIP, but my earlier experience with it was junk.

so if you have 3 Unifi APs is it best to pick 3 channels, put the strength on like medium and they will hand off or share signal appropriately as you roam around your house?

so if you have 3 Unifi APs is it best to pick 3 channels, put the strength on like medium and they will hand off or share signal appropriately as you roam around your house?

And remove the wifi from the router put a 4th there.

Those 3 channels should be 1 6 and 11 to remove interference.

This is all great information, but can anyone share if there is an update list of recommended routers.

I think the point here is you should not be buying a router.

Buy a switch and waps.

PLanet are cheap and on the list. Unmanaged is better than managed.

The ubiquity edge router is mentioned on here also.

1 hour ago, SMHarman said:

And remove the wifi from the router put a 4th there.

Those 3 changes around be 1 6 and 11 to remove interference.

Well I meant turn off router wifi and use the 3 (or required amount) of WAP and disperse them on various channels instead of auto?

Well I meant turn off router wifi and use the 3 (or required amount) of WAP and disperse them on various channels instead of auto?

Fixed the auto corrects. They should be 1 6 and 11 always.

The image below shows how on the same channel wifi can negotiate. On weird channels the overlap is rf interference. This is wifi in a high density office location. All professionally run.

f84a0e26b96f258d1d5d27f5eb3ff656.jpg

17 hours ago, eggzlot said:

I have the strength on AUTO as well as the channels on AUTO.  I turned of the 2g because it seems that if I have that on, my speeds are only up to 144mbps according to my laptop wireless connection .  If I only use the 5g the speed shows as 300mbps.  So far I haven't had any interference by keeping channels on auto but again I'm only using 5g.

Any opinions on whether I should enable the 2g as well?  I have great coverage with the 3 APs using on the 5g broadcast so wasn't sure if there was any advantage to enable the 2g since distance coverage isn't an issue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2016 at 5:08 PM, SMHarman said:

Unmanaged is better than managed.

I've heard this a couple times. Why is this the case? Should the router be doing the "managed" portion of a managed switch?

I was recommended by my dealer to go with a Luxel XGS-1024S switch

I've heard this a couple times. Why is this the case? Should the router be doing the "managed" portion of a managed switch?

I was recommended by my dealer to go with a Luxel XGS-1024S switch

If there is an appropriate firewall on the Internets then only desired traffic is inside your network.

So locking down a managed switch can often block desired internal traffic and cause automation problems, say blocking a port that sonos or your avr needs to work as desired.

As these devices don't come with substantial configuration requirements to implement on a managed switch (whereas commercial devices on a corporate network do) you can end up chasing ghosts to fix problems.

In other words - a unmanaged switch isn't 'better' as in it's a better quality piece, but the problem with managed switches is that (to work in C4 appropriately) you either need to dumb it down to act as an unmanaged switch (so you're overpaying, not to mention yous till have to do this 'right') OR you need to manage it WELL (which is outside the scope of most dealers, and even more consumers) or you can introduce problems.

So it is 'better' to get an unmanaged switch in the sense that it's 'easier' and you lose no functionality (in 99% of the systems out there).

Archived