C4 Forums | Control4

Best affordable video matrix switch

koxkp

I never thought I would "need" a video matrix, as they always seems way too expensive and unnecessary. I'm starting to see how useful one might be and also that there are some that aren't in the $1000's of dollar range. Any recommendations on a decent 4x4 matrix that integrates well with Control4?

Thanks!

I really like the atlona 4x4 / 8x8 .....at-h2h-44m / at-h2h-88m

i currently use the 88m and my bro in law has the 44m. When integrating, the matrix driver will self populate into composer right away. It's flawless as far as operation goes. 

Id prolly prefer a LEAF or JAP but the atlona is a real nice piece. You can go retail and I think the 4x4 goes for around 1200, but I've seen them on  eBay for 500

I had lots of problems with the Monoprice units - returned 2 of them in less than a year.  Moved on.  Reviews online are just as mixed leaning towards poor.  I dont have one to recommend that is cheap; I went for an expensive unit that is very reliable after the hassle with monoprice.  I love their cables and light duty parts for AV racks and stuff but the switch was just awful.  And rarely do I complain about products.  They likely put their name on some cheap parts that come from China so be careful with other low cost ones

Hopefully someone can chime in with something more positive - did you have a general budget in mind?  Sometimes a few streaming boxes like Roku/Amazon Fire TV and a small box from a satellite company can be mounted behind a TV and you are set.

I had lots of problems with the Monoprice units - returned 2 of them in less than a year.  Moved on.  Reviews online are just as mixed leaning towards poor.  I dont have one to recommend that is cheap; I went for an expensive unit that is very reliable after the hassle with monoprice.  I love their cables and light duty parts for AV racks and stuff but the switch was just awful.  And rarely do I complain about products.  They likely put their name on some cheap parts that come from China so be careful with other low cost ones

Hopefully someone can chime in with something more positive - did you have a general budget in mind?  Sometimes a few streaming boxes like Roku/Amazon Fire TV and a small box from a satellite company can be mounted behind a TV and you are set.

Just getting ideas still. I notice monoprice for a couple hundred and others for a couple thousand so just curious on the gap. They seem like they have one job, distributed video so just not sure on the high end ones.

My installer recommended shinybow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The question I always want to ask here is what is your use case.

Is it better to get tivo minis or roku boxes behind each TV for $100 than matrix everything?

This has drawbacks if you are not using the TV speakers and need to foldback the TV audio and is not suitable in surround sound rooms but can be a cost effective distribution approach.

Can run Kodi off $50-$100 Amazon Fire tv devices.  Buy one per tv. Cheaper than any matrix.   Can stream movies off the NAS to those devices running kodi

free IP driver for AFT devices too. Can add the kodi driver if you desire. 

You have me interested. This sounds like what I might want to do

• 2 months later...

Video Distribution rocks. I love being able to have only two Cable Boxes, two media players, etc... and being able to move from room to room or show things in multiple rooms without hassle. You can't beat it.

I have the Monoprice unit which has worked well for the most part.  Occasionally, I'll get what appears to be handshake issues and it can be finicky to get the HDMI signal to come back to different rooms in the house from different sources (currently using Directv box, PS3, XBMC box, and a Dune media player).

I'm considering getting a better matrix as the Monoprice lately has been flakey for losing signal and I end up rebooting everything and trying to get the HDMI linking going again...

I too would welcome recommendations for a 4x4 HDMI matrix

Archived