C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 announces Amazon Echo integration

From the release, it was never advertised as "WORKING EVERYWHERE!!! OMG!!!"

At release, Echo was NOT available in the UK. You can't take old promotional materials after the situation changes and try to bend the message to your will.

At release, C4 said it was US only. http://ctrl4.co/alexa-faq Again, C4 said at release that it wouldn't work in the UK.

And, go ahead, use your tweets you claim that you have with C4 saying it's a server issue. You can't sue someone for a server issue either.

I don't know why I'm wasting my time replying....

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They have advertised the amazing  echo is in the UK via YouTube , twitter etc 

they have not mentioned about it being US only .

it is not a amazon issue in the U.K. - C4 have sever issue ( have a quote from C4 saying that) 

UK law on adversting is pretty strict - so got a couple of our guys sending a few letters to the office in York UK .

Thry need to realise they have a customer base that has teeth - not a dealer yes crowd 

I never saw a control4 tweet saying it was available in the UK. You are grasping for straws here.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Tweet from C4 -

Amazon announced Echo availability in UK, the smart home skill for Alexa will be available when testing is finished by Amazon.

Followed by

Seems as though we've hit a few snags with some server issues. I'll try to keep you updated as we learn more,

The best one on the 29th September -

Control4@Control4 Sep 29

You talk, the house listens. http://bit.ly/voiceforthehome

One day after Echo is release in the UK

If they can not sort it out and wish to be world wide they need to make sure when you advertise you do not

try to fleece the user.

Where in that tweet was something said was available and wasn't? Tweet says its coming. Next tweet says they hit snags. It doesn't say it's not coming. You are trying to put meaning to words that aren't there

5 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I'm in... I am going to sue Control4 for false advertising... They said the skill was only going to be available in the USA... I live in South Africa and I can access it... Dang! They got it wrong :ph34r:

We still says that's a Dutch issue !!!

2 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Where in that tweet was something said was available and wasn't? Tweet says its coming. Next tweet says they hit snags. It doesn't say it's not coming. You are trying to put meaning to words that aren't there

UK law is all about what you say and the tweet of the 29th is Gold

YouTube channel is pretty good too

it says it's in testing. which it is. what exactly are you going to sue for? the skill not being approved for a few days?

it's not like C4 said, "hey this is now available in the UK!" and it wasn't....

My point exactly. Hence the reading into words.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Our other comment we love

If you’re not yet living in a Control4 Smart Home but are interested in talking with someone about the possibilities of home automation and voice control, simply leave your information and we’ll be in touch.

Web sited dated 14 September

With no caveat about country etc

29th September as no Caveat at all

Just received a email about the 3 Tweets on the 26th after Amazon Echo was release  in the UK - All out control and Alexa and

nothing saying unable to use in UK.

Yep. Dated the 14th, when even Echo WASN'T available in the UK. Oh, go look at the docs, too. Dated the 12th, and says US only. The skill has ALWAYS been US only since release, and NOTHING has said otherwise

Please, go waste your time trying to take legal action. It would be fun to watch.

51 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

They have advertised the amazing  echo is in the UK via YouTube , twitter etc 

they have not mentioned about it being US only .

it is not a amazon issue in the U.K. - C4 have sever issue ( have a quote from C4 saying that) 

UK law on adversting is pretty strict - so got a couple of our guys sending a few letters to the office in York UK .

Thry need to realise they have a customer base that has teeth - not a dealer yes crowd 

Yeah, if the did that on Twitter that's going to be considered advertising in UK (and pretty sure EU)

And I agree with your last comment 100% - but until they start getting hurt financially by the dealer only model nothing will change. :(

2 minutes ago, thegreatheed said:

Yep. Dated the 14th, when even Echo WASN'T available in the UK. Oh, go look at the docs, too. Dated the 12th, and says US only. The skill has ALWAYS been US only since release, and NOTHING has said otherwise

Please, go waste your time trying to take legal action. It would be fun to watch.

Its all about adverting and they have crossed the line.

Dated the 14 or the 12 is OK its everything after that

2 minutes ago, jfh said:

Yeah, if the did that on Twitter that's going to be considered advertising in UK (and pretty sure EU)

And I agree with your last comment 100% - but until they start getting hurt financially by the dealer only model nothing will change. :(

That's something my team can sort

12 minutes ago, jfh said:

Its not only their dealer model that hurts them, its also hurting the guys selling the other driver for this.

I'd go ahead and buy it from them today (happy to install it myself with no support) - but I can't as they don't sell to non-dealers.

So it would cost me more than the price of 2 Echo's to get buy theirs and pay a dealer to install it (basically just get it for me).

C4 might not get killed by their model, but they will never grow with it - at least not the way an open system would.

I doubt Gary would get anywhere, but pretty sure he's right.

Dont know the law well enough to know if punitive damages could be awarded, but seems like it would cost a lot to get to that point.

Oh all the ridiculous comments I have read on the internet, this takes the cake!  Threatening to sue or file a complaint against a home automation company for not fulfilling an advertised integration with a talking internet device?  Is that a joke?  Hilarious!  Real first world problem!  The integration isnt even that great yet.

2 minutes ago, drivertutorial said:

Its not only their dealer model that hurts them, its also hurting the guys selling the other driver for this.

I'd go ahead and buy it from them today (happy to install it myself with no support) - but I can't as they don't sell to non-dealers.

Pretty sure you can buy direct from Ari (Epic Systems).   I did and I'm not a dealer.  (And he installed it for me)

Just now, jfh said:

I doubt Gary would get anywhere, but pretty sure he's right.

Dont know the law well enough to know if punitive damages could be awarded, but seems like it would cost a lot to get to that point.

We can send a few letters and file a winding up petitions, small base in the UK, so will be passed over the US, they will ignore then the fun could start

Archived