C4 Forums | Control4

Alexa Skill won't Discover any devices

Ok, so I had my dealer update me to 2.9 and I added the Control4 skill to my Alexa app and then clicked to authenticate my Control4 4sight account.  That seemed to work.  I then tried to detect devices and Alexa tells me no devices were discovered (I have about a hundred lighting loads).  I then logged into my personal 4sight account and under the Alexa tab it shows no available devices as well.  Any suggestions on what to try next?  I've already tried disabling and re-enabling the ALexa skill without success.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same issue here.  I couldn't even add the Voice Scene driver until I rebooted the Director.  But I don't think you even have to have that driver for Alexa to be able to discover devices.  I have the skill and it linked to my account successfully.  But no devices are discovered.

7 hours ago, digitaltrader said:

I then logged into my personal 4sight account and under the Alexa tab it shows no available devices as well.  

I do have what seems to be all devices listed in My Control4.  But Alexa still shows no devices discovered.  I'm forcing discovery from the Alexa iOS app.

I have power cycled the Echo as well.

EDIT: finally kicked in, but it was at least 15 minutes since I had rebooted the Echo and much longer than that since I had restarted Director.  I'm thinking maybe the instructions need to be tweaked for real world examples, but in my case I don't know what was causing the delay.  It found 104 devices.  I'll be interested to see if it detects more when I run a discovery later.

2 minutes ago, digitaltrader said:

I've tried it all, multiple reboots, multiple Alexa reboots etc.  The devices finally showed up on 4sight but still wont be discovered via Alexa.  

i would recommend deleting all learned devices on Alexa app.

53 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

just got a recommendation to go to the customer.control4.com portal and save the changes there and then retry discovery.

45 minutes ago, thegreatheed said:

also, make sure the project is not stuck in an updating state. if the project is updating, no device discovery will happen.

Neither of those...but it is good to know you have to save on customer.control4.com even for scenes.

• 4 months later...

I am still having this problem and cannot get new devices to discover reliably.  I upgraded to 2.9.1 and it rediscovered after the upgrade but after adding new scenes it fails.  I have tried renaming lights, deleting the skill, rebooting the controller etc.  I cannot figure out why sometimes I get a connection and most times I do not.  Any suggestions?

Me too... this and (sometimes) long delays in the device responding as well as incorrect feedback to Alexa makes this driver disappointing. It has the potential to be incredible and be the best Alexa driver by a long shot (as so much gets set up automatically) but is not yet there due to the bugs... Maybe in 3.0?

• 4 months later...

Hi, Is there any update on this issue, I initially couldn't even log in remotely even though I had 4sight. Suddenly about a month after purchasing the license I could log in, I immediately tried Alexa and got all devices detected and everything worked well for 2 days. Now my devices show up on the Alexa tab In my control4

but when I ask Alexa to discover only see hue lights

any update on this driver & skill?

thanks

There have been some ongoing maintenance issues with 4 Sight, which includes Alexa skills.  Tech support has been working and monitoring the problems.  I believe everything should be working as expected now, at least when I checked the other day.

Archived