C4 Forums | Control4

Wiring relay to garage door opener

neil12011

Neil, if you want you can drop me a note and I will help walk you through it. It is pretty simple. The nice thing in 1.6 is the toggle and the sensor are one icon.

Long and the short, the garage opener is wired in tandem to a relay port on Card Access or the HC to toggle it opened or closed, and the garage door sensor is wired to the Card Access contact switch or HC contact port to display if the door is opened or closed.

When you add a garage door in composer you bind it to both the contact and relay.

Awesome, I guess I'm asking a which wire goes to what terminal type of deal...Because right now the garage door terminals have cat5 ran to them from the keypad on the wall (generic non control4)...can I piggyback those? I'm pretty new to wiring relays, so I guess that's what I'm asking. I appreicate the response!

Most garage door keypads only have 2 wires hooked up to them, even if they control both lights and garage door.

If you short the two contacts, the garage door will toggle (close if open, vice-versa).

You should connect those two contacts on the back of the garage door opener to the Common (C or COM) and Normally Open (NO) contacts on a contact/relay extender or CardAccess Contact/Relay device.

As far as the sensors go, here's how I've wired mine:

http://ericksonfamily.com/GarageDoor/

RyanE

inline, no.

They should be parallel. That is, if your keypad is connected to 2 terminals on the back of the garage door opener, your relays' Common (C or COM) and Normally Open (NO) terminals should be connected to those same 2 terminals.

CAT5 should work fine, although stranded is preferred because wiring like this does tend to move around, and solid CAT5 can break if flexed too much.

RyanE

• 1 year later...

I need a little help with this and may not be C4 related per se. I went the route of using a relay on my Concord4 system that controls the garage doors. That way I can use my keyfob to open and close doors as well as a keypad command via my C4 system to open or close doors. I cant get the wiring quite right.

I have

Red / Black (from garage door opener unit)

|

V

spliced to

1. Com and NC on relay

2. Original garage door opener pushbutton unit

When I hook it up this way, the original openers are dead. When I activate the relay, the doors work fine.

I'm not that adept at this, but my little brain thinks that the pushbutton unit cant close the loop when the button is pressed as the relay is in the way but then why doesnt it matter when the relay fires?

How would I wire this to work? I cant get wires from the source at the garage door opener on the ceiling.

Thanks

I didn't splice mine, I just hooked them both to the garage door. When I say both, I mean wires going to the relay, and wires going to the garage door opener. They are both hooked into the contact points on the garage door motor.

They both work fine this way. Of course mine are hooked into C4, not a security panel.

I hope that helps.

My assumption is that they have to be wired into the motor in the ceiling where the pushbutton also hooks in - I just cant get wires to that point from where I have the concord4 relays.

If I can do the wiring at the point where the garage door switches are on the wall, this would all work!

You can get wire to your garage door openers, but not to the motors? You can always buy a card access wireless relay...then you could buy a card access wireless keypad. That would accomplish what your after. You could have it all integrated, and be able to arm security as well as open/close the garage doors all from a wireless fob.

Yeah I cant get wire to the motors. I mean I guess I could but they would be ugly running outside the sheetrock. The relays from the Concord4 system are right next to the garage door switches because I have a Concord4 keypad right next to it.

Just try moving the wire from the NC contact to the NO and see if that fixes your problem

• 9 years later...

This thread seems to be along the lines of what I'm looking to accomplish, so any help is appreciated!

I recently installed magnetic sensors for each of my two garage doors.  I have a single Cat 5e cable going from the garage to my HC-800, and I'm using all four pairs for the following:

• Garage Door 1 Sensor
  • Garage Door 1 Motor
  • Garage Door 2 Sensor
  • Garage Door 2 Motor

Ideally, I'd like to monitor the open/closed status of each garage door, and be able to open/close the garage using Control4.  I believe that I have all of the cabling work in place, but I don't have a clue how to wire or program it.  I have access to Composer Pro and am pretty familiar with it, but this is my first rodeo with this stuff.  Anyone willing to help me out and hold my hand a bit is appreciated!

2 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

do you have the motors connected to relays?

If so add a garage door driver for each door and bind the motors and sensors to the correct connections

@msgreenf, as always, thank you for your help.

No, I don't have any relays installed.  I had to do some splicing, but I have separate pairs going to each garage door motor.  I wasn't sure how it would work in the end, but I was hoping it'd be similar to wiring an additional garage door opener.  Do I need some additional hardware?

Archived