C4 Forums | Control4

Alexa C4 programming question

Billiam

44 minutes ago, jfh said:

You do not have to add the Voice Scenes driver if all you want to do is control lights/lighting scenes/room volume.  That is all done when you enable the Alexa skill.

I definitely want to add the Voice Scenes driver as soon as my dealer gets to it... This is basically Star Trek type of tech! haha

On 9/23/2016 at 2:20 PM, drmark12pa said:

I definitely want to add the Voice Scenes driver as soon as my dealer gets to it... This is basically Star Trek type of tech! haha

You can always have someone add it remotely, there are lots of great folks on the forums who offer that service :) Nothing against your dealer.

• 6 months later...

I took my first swing at the Amazon integration last night and it's awesome!  I was like a kid in a toy store and got excited with every command that I gave Alexa.  I'm late to the game but this type of functionality sure takes my C4 system to another level, and I already loved it.

I have a couple of things that I can't figure out and would like to run by some of you C4 geniuses:

1. How do I program a voice scene to turn off the audio in a room?  I have a room that has lights and audio and I only want to turn off the audio.  Wouldn't the "Turn the Room Off" command turn off the audio and lights?
  2. What is the best way to activate and deactivate advanced lighting scenes using Amazon?  I noticed that the advanced lighting scenes are listed as skills, but I guess I don't see how they would be used over voice scenes.  For example, if I want to turn on many lights by using an advanced lighting scene, I would say "turn on [advanced lighting scene]".  However, if I want to turn off the same lights, I would need to have a separate advanced lighting scene created and give another "turn on" command, right?  It doesn't make sense to me to give a "turn on" command to turn off some lights.

I like that each voice scene comes with a "turn on" and "turn off" command, but I caught myself running into some naming conflicts.  I had created some voice scenes that activated nothing but advanced lighting scenes before I noticed that the advanced lighting scenes were already available as skills.  I named the voice scenes after the advanced lighting scenes and now I have duplicate names.  I either need to rename the advanced lighting scenes or the voice scenes, but I'm curious what some of you have done in your programming.  The "turn on" and "turn off" approach seems easier to me but I'm curious if I'm missing something.
  3. Is it possible to have a voice scene change my satellite receiver to a specific channel?  I've read that there are some third party drivers out there that can do this, but I frankly wouldn't know where to start with those.  I see that the current driver gives me the ability to emit a macro to set a channel but I don't know what that means or how to create a macro.  I see that I could also try to send keypad commands, but that doesn't seem as clean.
  4. If Request 3 is possible, is it possible to have a voice scene change the satellite to a specific channel based upon the time of day?  For example, if I crawl into bed before 10:00 PM, I'd like to watch a specific channel for news.  If it's after 10:00 PM, I'd like to watch another channel.

Any assistance with any of these requests is appreciated.  Thank you very much for your time!

1. No, the command to turn a room off in Control4 programming doesn't do anything to lights.

2. Program scene tracking and a toggle scene for your advanced lighting scenes, and then "turn off <scene>" will turn it off.

3. Yes. Tell the driver to emit 1, 4, 0, enter or enter your channels into the media tab of composer for direct access.

4. Use conditional programming on the voice scene.

Thank you for your reply.  Please see my comments below in green.

3 hours ago, thegreatheed said:

1. No, the command to turn a room off in Control4 programming doesn't do anything to lights.
Good to know.  Thank you!

2. Program scene tracking and a toggle scene for your advanced lighting scenes, and then "turn off <scene>" will turn it off.
I'm tracking all loads for my advanced lighting scenes but I guess that I don't quite understand how toggle scenes are used or how to configure them.  I've tried to read some threads about them but I haven't quite had an "ah ha" moment.  Any explanation is appreciated and a possible example.

Based upon what I can see, I can create an advanced lighting scene and then set a toggle scene.  However, I don't understand how to actually trigger the toggle.  If an advanced lighting scene is already active and it's activated again, is that what triggers the toggle scene?

Regarding the Amazon skills, it appears that advanced lighting scenes only show up as skills that can be turned on but not off.  If I didn't want to use voice scenes for lighting, wouldn't I have to give a "turn on" command to turn off lights, even with the toggle in place?  I'm confused. :) 

3. Yes. Tell the driver to emit 1, 4, 0, enter or enter your channels into the media tab of composer for direct access.
I'll give this a try and get back to you.  Thank you!

4. Use conditional programming on the voice scene.
Would I use the conditionals available in the Scheduler?

Thanks again!

I tried to look into this more last night and still have some questions in addition to those in green above.

Advanced Lighting Scenes

From what I can find about toggle scenes, they are scenes that are activated when an advanced lighting scene is triggered to be deactivated.  Now I'm curious how scenes are deactivated.  I remember reading somewhere that toggle scenes are only for buttons but I wasn't sure if the Amazon integration is an exception to that.

I went into the advanced lighting scenes in my project and set a few toggle scenes along with deleting some of the voice scenes that had duplicate names of the lighting scenes.  I refreshed the skills for Alexa in the Amazon app and then logged into C4 to see what voice commands were available.  The lighting scenes were only listed with "turn on" commands and not "turn off" commands.  Am I not doing something right or are "turn off" commands simply not available for lighting scenes?

Turning Off Audio

I now have the "Turn the Room Off" in place in some of the voice commands for rooms that have music playing.  Is it possible to program a command that would only turn off the music but keep a TV playing its image?  I can see some situations where I'd want the TV to stay on after I turn off the music, and then I could go in and listen to the TV volume if wanted.

Conditional Programming

I'm trying to build a command to watch different news channels based upon the time of day.  Does the attached programming look correct?  Does anything need to be added at the end of the statement if none of the conditions are met?

Thank you for your help!

Conditional Programming.JPG

• 3 months later...

Advance lighting scenes can be used with Alexa natively under C4 and yes, the toggle scenes works perfectly.

Your turn music off option can certainly be done on the native C4 driver with some programming. 

Your IF programming looks fine although I would have nested a "stop" command under the first if command otherwise at 9.55 exactly, it will perform both sets of commands...

Archived