C4 Forums | Control4

Ecobee vs Nest vs C4 Thermostats

Bullseye

Need to change a plain-jane Trane thermostat on my second floor to something smarter.  On my first floor I have a Trane Comfotlink II  that I have been using thru the Nexia app. Today I found out it has an available driver from Houselogix  (for $200, OUCH ) I will try it for 48 hours and decide if its worth the $200.

The new one needs to have scheduling and it will be good if has remote access.  I know for the Ecobee I needs to buy an additional driver.  Anybody has the price of the TheDriversLab driver for the ecobee?  The Nest and the C4 already have a driver on the database.  Also that the Nest driver has some limitations.  I have 2 older C4 thermostats that have not been able to put to work with my system. Is the new C4 thermostat better than the others? What's its price??   What would you do??

• 2 months later...

• 3 weeks later...

Just received the Ecobee3 and a 2pack of room sensors.  Need opinions on weather I should replace my version 1 C4 Tstat with it.  Currently my C4 tstat just works.  Simple and paid for.  I have a schedule that I set and rarely change.  Once in a while bump the heat up or cool the house down in the summer.

I don't have registers that will adjust so not sure how it will change temperature of a room so don't really care about that feature.  I'm assuming having sensors to plug in just gives a better overall reading of the house.

The Ecobee3 or Nest for that matter I'm sure have more features but I'm not sure I need it or need to spend money on a driver. 

I like the wireless temp/motion sensors and the independant of C4 programming they provide or potentially provide, I like the analytics provided by Ecobee, I like that should I have a problem with C4 I can still remotely access my thermostat.

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I installed this weekend and have a temp license from DriversLab.  Ecobee is nice and certainly greater functionality, reports, details about your heating/cooling etc.  

I like that you can see what temp it is in each room that you have a sensor in.  I also like that you can set your comfort per room (IE, during sleep keep master bedroom at x temperature).

Through C4 I can control Heat/Air, see humidity, see/adjust schedules, switch Fahreheit/Celcius and see reminders set by Ecobee like change filter.

Two questions:

1) @msgreenf Are you saying that you can program using the Ecobee motion sensors?

2) Is it normal that my main screen shows three dots for comfort rather than showing the temp of the house?

As always, grateful for these boards.  Amazing opportunity to collaborate and learn.  Thanks again.

Capture.JPG

1 minute ago, AP-123 said:

1) @msgreenf Are you saying that you can program using the Ecobee motion sensors?

you cannot currently

1 minute ago, AP-123 said:

2) Is it normal that my main screen shows three dots for comfort rather than showing the temp of the house?

you are missing a room level binding to the thermostat which will make that show up properly.  Composer Pro required.  Once the room level binding is done, refresh and Navs and temp will appear

Archived