C4 Forums | Control4

Audio Streaming Issues

I have OS 2.9 installed with a HC250 and 3 HC300s.  Since the update, streaming audio services won't work reliably.  I'll play Pandora in our basement office (streaming out of the 250) and then later in the day or the next morning, I can't stream to our upstairs living room.  Attempts to do so result in an error like "Unable to play this media at this time".  I reboot the 250 and then everything works for a while, until the error shows up again.  This morning I was playing a TuneIn station upstairs, then came down to the office and couldn't play Pandora until I rebooted the controller.  

A reboot always seems to get things working again, but I don't want to be rebooting my controller every morning.  Any thoughts?

I was thinking that it might have something do with the audio streaming services setup.  My 250 has audioclient, audio3client, and audio3server.  My 300s have audioclient and audioserver (none of the "3" versions).  If I enable audioclient on the 250, then audio3client automatically disables.  Right now, I have audio3server enabled and audioclient enabled on the 250, and the configuration varies on the 300s (some have just audioserver enabled, some have both audioclient and audioserver enabled).  I didn't specifically change those settings, but I'm not sure if they'll have any effect on a device that isn't the main controller, or if they'll be somehow conflicting with each other.

there were changes in which services you need after upgrading to 2.9.  My understanding, which is not complete and may be wrong, is that if you are running 2.9 you now use audio3server.  You are still using legacy audio because of the 300 in the setup.

Did you confirm your 300 updated to 2.9?

6 hours ago, Joshua Pressnell said:

I have OS 2.9 installed with a HC250 and 3 HC300s.  Since the update, streaming audio services won't work reliably.  I'll play Pandora in our basement office (streaming out of the 250) and then later in the day or the next morning, I can't stream to our upstairs living room.  Attempts to do so result in an error like "Unable to play this media at this time".  I reboot the 250 and then everything works for a while, until the error shows up again.  This morning I was playing a TuneIn station upstairs, then came down to the office and couldn't play Pandora until I rebooted the controller.  

A reboot always seems to get things working again, but I don't want to be rebooting my controller every morning.  Any thoughts?

Hi Joshua,

In the configuration you have you must use Legacy Audio mode (because of HC-300 in your project) can you please verify that this is the case ?

Thanks.

Alex Danoyan 

4 hours ago, Joshua Pressnell said:

I would assume it is, because audio streaming works well in all rooms upon reboot. It doesn't get finicky until some unknown amount of time later. 

How, specifically, would I check?

"Digital Media" object properties in Composer Pro.

1 minute ago, Joshua Pressnell said:

Basic question:  In the services list, do the non-master controllers need to have either audioserver or audioclient running?  A couple have one, and a couple have both.  I had a theory that maybe these are conflicting with the master controller's streaming services, but haven't had time to test it out yet.

that all changed in 2.9 due to the new distributed audio server model.  So I *believe* the answer is yes...but I am not sure I know exactly what should be running where...

When you reboot your controller are you rebooting all controllers that have audio outputs?  I would recommend trying that as maybe you aren't really solving the problem with the reboot?

Still having this issue.  To try and help debug, I turned off all the instances of audioserver and audioclient on the 300's.  Then I rebooted *everything*.  Upon reboot, I started streams in every room.  Went and checked the services, and the 300's had auto-enabled what they needed, so I'm no longer worried about service conflicts on the devices.

BUT... after about 48 hours, streaming to any of my endpoints (250 or 300) fails until I reboot again.

12 minutes ago, Joshua Pressnell said:

I found a company that's reasonably local, but things have been pretty much working for me, so I haven't bothered to do anything with them.  It wasn't until the upgrade to 2.9 that this started happening.

well who did the 2.9 upgrade?  I would contact them to work with Tech support, and do some debugging...

Joshua,

If you can provide the name of the dealer that upgraded you to OS2.9 we can work with that dealer in troubleshooting the issues you have been experiencing.   If that is not an option, like mentioned above, we can get you linked up with a dealer in your area.

Kind Regards,

Paul W.

• 2 months later...

Archived