C4 Forums | Control4

Gas Fire

bdo21

We are considering installing a gas fire in our house and I thought it would be good to be able to integrate it into Control4.

I have found Chowmain's Escea fire driver but I have been told that Escea DX fires are noisy because of the fan. Has anyone tried one of these fires in a house (rather than a commercial environment)?

The fire company has also suggested a gas ignition system - the Mertik Maxitrol GV60 which has contacts to be controlled by a home automation system (link below). Has anyone seen this used with Control4? I see there is an RF driver for a different Mertik Maxitrol controller on houselogix.

http://www.mertikmaxitrol.com/product_gv_heating.html

I assume the native IP control of the chowmain's Escea driver is better than the control by contacts or RF?

Does anyone know of any other fires which can be controlled by Control4?

Thank you

I'm pretty sure that nearly any modern gas fireplace can be controlled by relay contacts.  You could run those to your Control4 controller, or you can do what I did and wire a Control4 relay switch in the wall next to the fireplace and use that to control the fire.  In my particular case, I have a relay switch that controls the fire itself and a standard switch that controls the fan blower (in the winter, it's nice to use the fan blower to move heat into the room).  

My personal preference would be to find the fireplace that I actually wanted the most, based on looks, features, etc, and then figure out the best way to add it into the control4 system.

20 hours ago, bdo21 said:

We are considering installing a gas fire in our house and I thought it would be good to be able to integrate it into Control4.

I have found Chowmain's Escea fire driver but I have been told that Escea DX fires are noisy because of the fan. Has anyone tried one of these fires in a house (rather than a commercial environment)?

The fire company has also suggested a gas ignition system - the Mertik Maxitrol GV60 which has contacts to be controlled by a home automation system (link below). Has anyone seen this used with Control4? I see there is an RF driver for a different Mertik Maxitrol controller on houselogix.

http://www.mertikmaxitrol.com/product_gv_heating.html

I assume the native IP control of the chowmain's Escea driver is better than the control by contacts or RF?

Does anyone know of any other fires which can be controlled by Control4?

Thank you

Our Escea Fireplace driver allows full IP control over the fireplace including temperature feedback, setpoint and fan control.

I have not heard anyone mention that the fireplaces were noisy but these high end fireplaces were designed for houses primarily.

In fact i know that one Control4 dealer and a Control4 TFM is installing one right now as we speak in Queensland Australia.

• 3 weeks later...

Alan - Escea are bringing out a new DS series fire next year and they say it will use the same IP control protocol. Presumably your driver would work with this (either immediately or minor modifications)? Thanks!

5 hours ago, bdo21 said:

Alan - Escea are bringing out a new DS series fire next year and they say it will use the same IP control protocol. Presumably your driver would work with this (either immediately or minor modifications)? Thanks!

Nice to know.  We have a pretty good relationship with Escea.  In fact they were the ones who provided us with test equipment to integrate the hardware and answered all our questions.  They will let us know if any changes effect our integration.

• 2 months later...

Archived