Ajbarrister

Question about MyQ-Chamberlin Garage Door

Question

I currently have a Card Acess garage door kit installed (Card Acess Sensor and Card Access Relay).  I am thinking about getting the MyQ Gateway KIt (Gateway and Wall Unit). If I get the MyQ kit do I need the relay and sensor or may they be removed?

55 answers to this question

Why remove the them? Imho they will be more reliable then myq

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Because the current wall unit failed and the replacement wall unit has caused the relay not to work properly. 

Because the current wall unit failed and the replacement wall unit has caused the relay not to work properly. 

If wired to the appropriate places it should still work

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I would stay away from myq if you have the ability for direct relays. Myq commands have to get routed through Chamberlain servers before the desired function occurs, if I recall correctly.

It used to work but now it does not with the new wall unit. I have tried everything except soldering the wires from the relay to the new wall unit. Looking for a fix and can't find one that's why  was looking to go with Myq. 

1 hour ago, Ajbarrister said:

except soldering the wires from the relay to the new wall unit

Which is exactly what you'd need to do - indeed you'd have to solder to the button or board, not wire it parallel to the wire going to the keypad as well.. The button/keypad you have now likely has such 'wonderful' things as time and temp display - that means that it's set to have a bleed-through of power, killing the normal relay full on/off you had before.

2 hours ago, Anzir said:

Myq commands have to get routed through Chamberlain servers before the desired function occurs, if I recall correctly.

Correct - MyQ integration integrates the online service - not the door directly. This is likely to cause some delayed reaction, especially on the status after the door opens or closes outside of C4.

You also need to make sure the polling isn't set too high, or the MyQ service will get blocked due to too much traffic.

Thanks Cyknight. How do i know where to solder to the board?  I am really a novice at this.

You'd have to look at the actual device itself I'm afraid, figure out what circuit is closed when the button is pushed - on most this is simple enough because you'll see two 'lines' go to the little toggle button that is soldered to the keypad's printer board, but in some cases this can get complex - it all depends on the board itself - and may require having a continuity tester and or voltage meter to figure it out.

I'll be happy to take a look if you can post a picture of the board (both sides please, and point out where the 'main' open/close button is if its a multi-button piece) and see if I can give you an educated guess - though that is the best I can do without the piece in hand.

On 10/3/2016 at 0:11 PM, Ajbarrister said:

Thanks Cyknight. How do i know where to solder to the board?  I am really a novice at this.

This what I did!!  I went to Home Depot and purchased another remote and opened it up and then I soldered the wires from the card axis relay right to the board on the remote.. works grate and super easy 

Correct - MyQ integration integrates the online service - not the door directly. This is likely to cause some delayed reaction, especially on the status after the door opens or closes outside of C4.

You also need to make sure the polling isn't set too high, or the MyQ service will get blocked due to too much traffic.

MyQ responds almost instantly through C4. The only real disadvantage to MyQ is your door will go through a warning phase before closing that lasts maybe 10 seconds but that's a safety feature.

I've had a remote soldered and MyQ. Both work at approximately the same speed for actions and notifications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyQ responds almost instantly through C4. The only real disadvantage to MyQ is your door will go through a warning phase before closing that lasts maybe 10 seconds but that's a safety feature.

I've had a remote soldered and MyQ. Both work at approximately the same speed for actions and notifications.

So if you could start from scratch with a newbuild house and could choose your garage door opener, would you go with MyQ or contacts? I like the simplicity of MyQ (networking rather than any physical installation!) but obviously it doesn't make sense if it is not a good solution.

Thank you

MyQ seems to work pretty well. I've installed both ways and you might as well go MyQ if it doesn't cost any more. But you'll still need for sensors if tying it into your alarm system.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I certainly wouldn't go with MyQ - as a standalone it's sort of useless, and ANYTHING can tie a contact and relay into it (ie ALL security systems can do this).

Nothing WRONG with MyQ, but it's in essence an additional layer that can introduce issues in and of itself.

Oh don't think this was mentioned here, but the calls to MyQ are limited in number, too many calls in a short order and it will shut you out (usually requiring contacting the helpdesk). Not an issue in MOST scenarios mind you.

Sort of useless and a second layer? Its native to the door and built in other then the bridge to the internet. With a contact and relay to c4 your adding in a second layer to a non native third party. MyQ in and of it self is far more stable then a c4 or security system integration.

MyQ has been rock solid for me and very fast through C4.

Downside is that it doesn't work if the Internet connection is down.

I went with the MyQ solution because it was far less expensive to implement than a native C4 solution (which is what I initially preferred)

Mine has a very subtle delay (30 sec.) but.....I have the Wink driver pack installed for other reasons and run the MyQ through it...so if you want an example of too many layers...LOL

On 12/31/2016 at 5:52 PM, cdepaola said:

Sort of useless and a second layer? Its native to the door and built in other then the bridge to the internet. With a contact and relay to c4 your adding in a second layer to a non native third party. MyQ in and of it self is far more stable then a c4 or security system integration.

? Where is a relay and contact wired to a controller or for that matter an Card Access unit (owned by C4) a second layer and third party?

A KIT by default is not native to a door. In fact, nothing is native to the 'door' as such ;)

? Where is a relay and contact wired to a controller or for that matter an Card Access unit (owned by C4) a second layer and third party?

A KIT by default is not native to a door. In fact, nothing is native to the 'door' as such

Are those relays/contacts owned or officially supported by LiftMaster? Is the method of integration supported by LiftMaster or is it a hack?

MyQ is owned and supported by LiftMaster, and it's functionality is built into the opener. Official integrations supported by LiftMaster with alarm systems utilize MyQ.

Maybe I'm wrong but in my head that sounds like it's native.

Also using contacts/relays hooked into Control4 offers no better reliability of control over MyQ. In fact it add one additional fail point into the equation. If the internet goes down then MyQ and C4 control fail, if C4 goes down you lose control unless your using MyQ which then you can just use the app.

I see MyQ as native to the opener, it integrates into c4 nicely and using it offers some redundancy in the event c4 is having issues and infrequently as that happens.

5 minutes ago, cdepaola said:

Are those relays/contacts owned or officially supported by LiftMaster? Is the method of integration supported by LiftMaster or is it a hack?

it's not a hack - this is how i run my door.

I have a garage door rail alarm sensor wired into a contact sensor on my controller.  

Then wired into the button I connected a card access relay.  Boom.

Cost me about $65

it's not a hack - this is how i run my door.

I have a garage door rail alarm sensor wired into a contact sensor on my controller.  

Then wired into the button I connected a card access relay.  Boom.

Cost me about $65

According to LiftMaster wiring into their garage door buttons or the control panel of the opener is a hack. Just had that conversation with a regional rep.

1 minute ago, cdepaola said:

According to LiftMaster wiring into their garage door buttons or the control panel of the opener is a hack. Just had that conversation with a regional rep.

i would disagree - but it's fine.  I could have wired it right to the opener - would that still have been a hack?

I would say anything that doesn't generate revenue for LiftMaster they are going to consider a hack

And MyQ cost me $50, the driver is free, and I now have a separate app to use if c4 goes down.

Don't get me wrong I understand this method works, it's how I like everyone else had my door integrated before MyQ.

Just completely disagreed with Cyk that it's useless or introduces any issues that c4 integration doesn't.

1 minute ago, cdepaola said:

And MyQ cost me $50

you didn't have to buy a new opener too?