C4 Forums | Control4

Question about MyQ-Chamberlin Garage Door

Ajbarrister

Question

I currently have a Card Acess garage door kit installed (Card Acess Sensor and Card Access Relay).  I am thinking about getting the MyQ Gateway KIt (Gateway and Wall Unit). If I get the MyQ kit do I need the relay and sensor or may they be removed?

• Answers 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 minute ago, Cyknight said:

So chose a different brand B)

Or stick with the Control4 of the garage door opener world, Liftmaster/Chamerlain, and use MyQ. If your going to purchase something it should be the best right? 

B)

I currently have a Card Acess garage door kit installed (Card Acess Sensor and Card Access Relay).  I am thinking about getting the MyQ Gateway KIt (Gateway and Wall Unit). If I get the MyQ kit do I need the relay and sensor or may they be removed?

As everyone has there 2 cents to add to this, let me add mine! I have done 2 installs with the MyQ. Each install had control of 3 different garage doors. Both went very well and have had zero issues.

If you go with MyQ or keep the relay/sensor solution, go with one or the other. No reason to keep them both. As some have said, if internet goes out, then you will loose connectively with the MyQ device and garage door control. That to me is the only downside of using MyQ.

Good Luck

Correct - MyQ integration integrates the online service - not the door directly. This is likely to cause some delayed reaction, especially on the status after the door opens or closes outside of C4.

You also need to make sure the polling isn't set too high, or the MyQ service will get blocked due to too much traffic.

I have MyQ setup and I have delays in the response time. How does the polling effect this? And what would be the correct polling number to set it at?

Just going to put this out there... for folks that have more than one garage door (I have 3) life gets more complicated.  3 sensors, 3 wireless contact/relays, etc, etc.  I picked up a HC500 cheap off eBay, put that in the attic above the garage, and ran an ethernet line there.  Solid connection, plenty of relays/contacts, and the responsiveness is a dream.

Just going to put this out there... for folks that have more than one garage door (I have 3) life gets more complicated.  3 sensors, 3 wireless contact/relays, etc, etc.  I picked up a HC500 cheap off eBay, put that in the attic above the garage, and ran an ethernet line there.  Solid connection, plenty of relays/contacts, and the responsiveness is a dream.

Yes! You have the right idea. Flawless way to resolve this.

Happy Automating!

We could go back and forth on this to no avail.  

My point is that IF I'm home there are few reasons I need C4 control of my garage door, its when I'm away that its most important.  I want to be able to open my door for someone if need be, or as I'm pulling into my subdivision, etc.  I personally can think of far more reason to have control away from home then I can when I'm home.  But thats me. 

For me most programming has to do with geo-location and the door opening upon my arrival home. I don't need to program it to auto close as its a built in feature of LiftMaster, mine closes at 12 minutes without any intervention by C4.  

What exactly are people programming on their garage doors for use while at their house? 

I guess it depends on your garage(s). Mine are detached to make a courtyard for the kids to play in. Because of this, I solely use Control4 to open and close my garage doors. The Chamberlain garage door switches are located in the garages and I can count on one hand how many times I've used them. But with the relays I can always control the doors, even with the internet down.20161030_172520.thumb.jpg.b999f1e26da094

I had the EDS MyQ driver, and it stopped working; needless to say I wasn't too happy about Chamberlain breaking a perfectly working install 'just because.' 

So, I soldered the relay to the remote for my Chamberlain opener to fix this MyQ problem once and for all.  Props to my dealer, AK1, for that tip!  I already have wireless status sensors in place (GE alarm sensors for the garage door, that work w/ my Elk and most GE alarm panels).  So, now no cloud dependency on MyQ, and rock-stable functionality to boot. 

If I can do it (with a sum total of 1/2 dozen wires soldered ever), it's within the reach of pretty much anybody.  It's obviously not the prettiest/highest quality job, but it worked with a $10 soldering iron.  I used a Chamberlain 953 remote (which controls pretty much any MyQ-enabled garage door opener).  The remote itself can control up to 3 openers, and it's easy to wire straight to the relay/controller; the remote has pretty good range, and I just hooked it up to my controller.

MyQ remote3.JPG

MyQ remote2.JPG

MyQ remote1.JPG

On 1/10/2017 at 8:57 PM, cdepaola said:

We could go back and forth on this to no avail.  

My point is that IF I'm home there are few reasons I need C4 control of my garage door, its when I'm away that its most important.  I want to be able to open my door for someone if need be, or as I'm pulling into my subdivision, etc.  I personally can think of far more reason to have control away from home then I can when I'm home.  But thats me. 

For me most programming has to do with geo-location and the door opening upon my arrival home. I don't need to program it to auto close as its a built in feature of LiftMaster, mine closes at 12 minutes without any intervention by C4.  

What exactly are people programming on their garage doors for use while at their house? 

I know you posted this months ago, but I'm curious.. What kind of logic did you use to make the geo-location work for MyQ? I'm assuming it would have to have something to do with your phone connecting to your network. Mind to give me some tips on how to program that? Also, what driver are you using?

Thanks!

Trust me I take no offense, every reply I just chuckle. 

I also like this conversation and think it will be helpful for others down the line.  Often times conversations tend to be you saying something is the best option and they the conversation ends.  You doesn't actually me you, just means someone of your standing in the community. Inevitably someone reads the conversation and wonders why its the best and what are the other options, what are the pro's and con's of each of those options.  A full back and forth exposes those, in my opinion.

I also have no issue or objection to doing it the way you have described but it is important for someone integrating a newer LiftMaster or Chamberlain to understand that doing it your way may be a bit more work for their dealer because somewhere they are going to have to do solder work, if thats in their capabilities.  They will also need to make sure that the door opener that gets soldered is located someplace that is easy to access so they can occasionally change the battery. 

What should we talk about next?  :P

2 hours ago, cdepaola said:

Thanks Cyk!  I know I'm crazy sometimes but the way everyone is saying its so easy to integrate a standard opener was making me thing I was going even more crazy. 

An opener is easy - MyQ not so much (at times). MyQ doesn't use normal contact/relays, but the connection is actually a communication line. In some cases, you can LEAVE the wiring for a relay on the normal contacts, and have the MyQ kit on at the same time, but on most motors doing so will actually 'steal' power from the kit, resetting it. In some cases the power stealing the kit does will actually prevent the contacts from still working.

So yes, IF you have MyQ, it can be a hassle to integrate (either special 3rd party drivers or soldering). But a NON MyQ garage IS very easy to integrate.

1 minute ago, Cyknight said:

Depends, in some cases you can, but in most - you are correct.

Thanks Cyk!  I know I'm crazy sometimes but the way everyone is saying its so easy to integrate a standard opener was making me thing I was going even more crazy. 

1 hour ago, cdepaola said:

Wait, I thought if it's a Chamberlain or Liftmaster it was not as easy as being made out. New units have to be wired via the portable controller, no?

I originally had tried to wire into the actual opener and wired wall button and neither worked

Depends, in some cases you can, but in most - you are correct.

Ive done a lot of the MyQ garage doors and gates.. I dont have any issues, but then again, we always tend to upgrade the customer's network and wifi, so the MyQ gateway and door  have no issues with getting online.

The Gateway is $50.. thats a relatively small cost for our clients. The delay is negligible

Wait, I thought if it's a Chamberlain or Liftmaster it was not as easy as being made out. New units have to be wired via the portable controller, no?

I originally had tried to wire into the actual opener and wired wall button and neither worked

Just now, Elvis said:

Running the wire is an option but if the sensor is zigbee, then that's a problem. My Control4 zigbee mesh is limited to two rooms not so close to the garage. I was going to put a zigbee switch in the garage but it isn't a control4 zigbee switch -- so I didn't think that would help.

garage door sensors are wired...or need a card access wireless bridge...if you can wire it back to the controller, that is the lowest cost option

4 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

beyond a door sensor...($15)

Running the wire is an option but if the sensor is zigbee, then that's a problem. My Control4 zigbee mesh is limited to two rooms not so close to the garage. I was going to put a zigbee switch in the garage but it isn't a control4 zigbee switch -- so I didn't think that would help.

2 minutes ago, Elvis said:

I read this thread with interest because my garage door track and chain drive failed last night. I was already getting a new door next week, now an opener, too. I'm surprised to see that apparently MyQ is the only ready-to-go solution. Or am I missing something? Right now I just stuck a Wemo relay on the unit and it works via WIFI (and via Siri/Alexa) -- maybe I already have the best solution?

no, its not the only solution.  If you can run 2 wires back to your control and have an open relay port + contact port then it won't cost you anything beyond a door sensor...($15)

I read this thread with interest because my garage door track and chain drive failed last night. I was already getting a new door next week, now an opener, too. I'm surprised to see that apparently MyQ is the only ready-to-go solution. Or am I missing something? Right now I just stuck a Wemo relay on the unit and it works via WIFI (and via Siri/Alexa) -- maybe I already have the best solution?

I would add that MYQ has its merits. And so does a relay. I would recommend in a perfect world to have a relay control the door and sensor detect door state. The. Use MYQ separately/parallel to allow a secondary Way to control the door via built in app.

Happy Automating!

Archived