C4 Forums | Control4

Question about MyQ-Chamberlin Garage Door

Ajbarrister

Question

I currently have a Card Acess garage door kit installed (Card Acess Sensor and Card Access Relay).  I am thinking about getting the MyQ Gateway KIt (Gateway and Wall Unit). If I get the MyQ kit do I need the relay and sensor or may they be removed?

• Answers 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just going to put this out there... for folks that have more than one garage door (I have 3) life gets more complicated.  3 sensors, 3 wireless contact/relays, etc, etc.  I picked up a HC500 cheap off eBay, put that in the attic above the garage, and ran an ethernet line there.  Solid connection, plenty of relays/contacts, and the responsiveness is a dream.

Just going to put this out there... for folks that have more than one garage door (I have 3) life gets more complicated.  3 sensors, 3 wireless contact/relays, etc, etc.  I picked up a HC500 cheap off eBay, put that in the attic above the garage, and ran an ethernet line there.  Solid connection, plenty of relays/contacts, and the responsiveness is a dream.

Yes! You have the right idea. Flawless way to resolve this.

Happy Automating!

We could go back and forth on this to no avail.  

My point is that IF I'm home there are few reasons I need C4 control of my garage door, its when I'm away that its most important.  I want to be able to open my door for someone if need be, or as I'm pulling into my subdivision, etc.  I personally can think of far more reason to have control away from home then I can when I'm home.  But thats me. 

For me most programming has to do with geo-location and the door opening upon my arrival home. I don't need to program it to auto close as its a built in feature of LiftMaster, mine closes at 12 minutes without any intervention by C4.  

What exactly are people programming on their garage doors for use while at their house? 

I guess it depends on your garage(s). Mine are detached to make a courtyard for the kids to play in. Because of this, I solely use Control4 to open and close my garage doors. The Chamberlain garage door switches are located in the garages and I can count on one hand how many times I've used them. But with the relays I can always control the doors, even with the internet down.20161030_172520.thumb.jpg.b999f1e26da094

I had the EDS MyQ driver, and it stopped working; needless to say I wasn't too happy about Chamberlain breaking a perfectly working install 'just because.' 

So, I soldered the relay to the remote for my Chamberlain opener to fix this MyQ problem once and for all.  Props to my dealer, AK1, for that tip!  I already have wireless status sensors in place (GE alarm sensors for the garage door, that work w/ my Elk and most GE alarm panels).  So, now no cloud dependency on MyQ, and rock-stable functionality to boot. 

If I can do it (with a sum total of 1/2 dozen wires soldered ever), it's within the reach of pretty much anybody.  It's obviously not the prettiest/highest quality job, but it worked with a $10 soldering iron.  I used a Chamberlain 953 remote (which controls pretty much any MyQ-enabled garage door opener).  The remote itself can control up to 3 openers, and it's easy to wire straight to the relay/controller; the remote has pretty good range, and I just hooked it up to my controller.

MyQ remote3.JPG

MyQ remote2.JPG

MyQ remote1.JPG

On 1/10/2017 at 8:57 PM, cdepaola said:

We could go back and forth on this to no avail.  

My point is that IF I'm home there are few reasons I need C4 control of my garage door, its when I'm away that its most important.  I want to be able to open my door for someone if need be, or as I'm pulling into my subdivision, etc.  I personally can think of far more reason to have control away from home then I can when I'm home.  But thats me. 

For me most programming has to do with geo-location and the door opening upon my arrival home. I don't need to program it to auto close as its a built in feature of LiftMaster, mine closes at 12 minutes without any intervention by C4.  

What exactly are people programming on their garage doors for use while at their house? 

I know you posted this months ago, but I'm curious.. What kind of logic did you use to make the geo-location work for MyQ? I'm assuming it would have to have something to do with your phone connecting to your network. Mind to give me some tips on how to program that? Also, what driver are you using?

Thanks!

I certainly wouldn't go with MyQ - as a standalone it's sort of useless, and ANYTHING can tie a contact and relay into it (ie ALL security systems can do this).

Nothing WRONG with MyQ, but it's in essence an additional layer that can introduce issues in and of itself.

Oh don't think this was mentioned here, but the calls to MyQ are limited in number, too many calls in a short order and it will shut you out (usually requiring contacting the helpdesk). Not an issue in MOST scenarios mind you.

I would stay away from myq if you have the ability for direct relays. Myq commands have to get routed through Chamberlain servers before the desired function occurs, if I recall correctly.

It used to work but now it does not with the new wall unit. I have tried everything except soldering the wires from the relay to the new wall unit. Looking for a fix and can't find one that's why  was looking to go with Myq. 

1 hour ago, Ajbarrister said:

except soldering the wires from the relay to the new wall unit

Which is exactly what you'd need to do - indeed you'd have to solder to the button or board, not wire it parallel to the wire going to the keypad as well.. The button/keypad you have now likely has such 'wonderful' things as time and temp display - that means that it's set to have a bleed-through of power, killing the normal relay full on/off you had before.

2 hours ago, Anzir said:

Myq commands have to get routed through Chamberlain servers before the desired function occurs, if I recall correctly.

Correct - MyQ integration integrates the online service - not the door directly. This is likely to cause some delayed reaction, especially on the status after the door opens or closes outside of C4.

You also need to make sure the polling isn't set too high, or the MyQ service will get blocked due to too much traffic.

You'd have to look at the actual device itself I'm afraid, figure out what circuit is closed when the button is pushed - on most this is simple enough because you'll see two 'lines' go to the little toggle button that is soldered to the keypad's printer board, but in some cases this can get complex - it all depends on the board itself - and may require having a continuity tester and or voltage meter to figure it out.

I'll be happy to take a look if you can post a picture of the board (both sides please, and point out where the 'main' open/close button is if its a multi-button piece) and see if I can give you an educated guess - though that is the best I can do without the piece in hand.

On 10/3/2016 at 0:11 PM, Ajbarrister said:

Thanks Cyknight. How do i know where to solder to the board?  I am really a novice at this.

This what I did!!  I went to Home Depot and purchased another remote and opened it up and then I soldered the wires from the card axis relay right to the board on the remote.. works grate and super easy 

Correct - MyQ integration integrates the online service - not the door directly. This is likely to cause some delayed reaction, especially on the status after the door opens or closes outside of C4.

You also need to make sure the polling isn't set too high, or the MyQ service will get blocked due to too much traffic.

MyQ responds almost instantly through C4. The only real disadvantage to MyQ is your door will go through a warning phase before closing that lasts maybe 10 seconds but that's a safety feature.

I've had a remote soldered and MyQ. Both work at approximately the same speed for actions and notifications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyQ responds almost instantly through C4. The only real disadvantage to MyQ is your door will go through a warning phase before closing that lasts maybe 10 seconds but that's a safety feature.

I've had a remote soldered and MyQ. Both work at approximately the same speed for actions and notifications.

So if you could start from scratch with a newbuild house and could choose your garage door opener, would you go with MyQ or contacts? I like the simplicity of MyQ (networking rather than any physical installation!) but obviously it doesn't make sense if it is not a good solution.

Thank you

I agree with CY lets look at the things needed for each to work.

Controller is a given in any case

My Q

Requires a wireless (possible unrealible depending on location) connection.

A Driver that requires user authentications and connection to the internet (if someone changes the login the driver ceases to work)

A driver that requires the controller to constantly poll to keep information current

You need the cost of gate way

Cost of the officially supported driver (Free driver is not officially supported)

Regular Door

2 wires 1 to the door for sensor 1 to the motor for control

if wires cant be run to control4 controller then you need the cost of  a wireless kit.

1 Basic driver that is also the user interface

Zigbee if on wireless ( a good mesh is a must)

the point is one relies on much more complex technology and the other is a basic relay. To each their own

Sort of useless and a second layer? Its native to the door and built in other then the bridge to the internet. With a contact and relay to c4 your adding in a second layer to a non native third party. MyQ in and of it self is far more stable then a c4 or security system integration.

MyQ has been rock solid for me and very fast through C4.

Downside is that it doesn't work if the Internet connection is down.

I went with the MyQ solution because it was far less expensive to implement than a native C4 solution (which is what I initially preferred)

On 12/31/2016 at 5:52 PM, cdepaola said:

Sort of useless and a second layer? Its native to the door and built in other then the bridge to the internet. With a contact and relay to c4 your adding in a second layer to a non native third party. MyQ in and of it self is far more stable then a c4 or security system integration.

? Where is a relay and contact wired to a controller or for that matter an Card Access unit (owned by C4) a second layer and third party?

A KIT by default is not native to a door. In fact, nothing is native to the 'door' as such ;)

Archived