Ajbarrister

Question about MyQ-Chamberlin Garage Door

Question

I currently have a Card Acess garage door kit installed (Card Acess Sensor and Card Access Relay).  I am thinking about getting the MyQ Gateway KIt (Gateway and Wall Unit). If I get the MyQ kit do I need the relay and sensor or may they be removed?

57 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, cdepaola said:

We could go back and forth on this to no avail.  

My point is that IF I'm home there are few reasons I need C4 control of my garage door, its when I'm away that its most important.  I want to be able to open my door for someone if need be, or as I'm pulling into my subdivision, etc.  I personally can think of far more reason to have control away from home then I can when I'm home.  But thats me. 

For me most programming has to do with geo-location and the door opening upon my arrival home. I don't need to program it to auto close as its a built in feature of LiftMaster, mine closes at 12 minutes without any intervention by C4.  

What exactly are people programming on their garage doors for use while at their house? 

Was just pointing out the reasoning for the post you replied to.

What may not be of importance to you, MAY be important to others. And of course the other way around. Geocache opening is neat, but would be useless for me as often enough I wouldn't WANT the garage door to open upon arriving home. Not by car, but there's also me coming back after a walk, a bike ride..... Not to mention, I may well be driving one of a few vehicles, and how will it be determined which door to open then? I'd have the same phone on me, so that as such is no indicator whatsoever. And opening the wrong door (or any door if not desired) in winter here is likely to cost me a couple of dollars worth of lost heat every single time.

I can think of far more reasons to have 'local' control and automated control combined vs remote control of a garage. That's just me :D

Once again, I've never stated I'm against using MyQ - just pointing out the possible limitations (and yes, I stated and stand by that statement that I see no advantage myself to ADD MyQ in case of Control4 integration - and those are MY 2 cents) ^_^.

Understand that I mean no insult or have any hard feelings here - but I'm still not seeing what MyQ really brings to the table that C4 doesn't already plus more without it. And I CAN think of limitations to the MyQ integration that could be negated. If you HAVE MyQ already (and a normally reliable internet) - it's perfectly sensible to get it integrated of course.

In the end, if you HAVE a choice to make - make an informed one and judge the 'value' of all cons and pros to your own scale. How likely is it your internet would be down? Here, in the city it's pretty unlikely, on the peripherals or further out though where tower/3g/4g are the only options, it may be a completely different matter. What is the value of potentially having the 'back-up' of the MyQ app - do you regularly need to open that door for others?

As for what you can program - the most basic version is having a button at secondary entrances to your garage, the ability to have an LED indicate that a door is open or not - not to mention it's nice that your liftmaster has that ability, but not all do - plus the addition of doing it via programming with possible overrides (ie kids are playing outside, don't WANT the door to close, or when you're working in there). Close if open upon arming security or pressing the 'house off/goodnight' button or triggering the scene. Open when arming to away. Open upon disarming from security keyfob/combined button that disarms and opens a door on pressing a mini remote button. Could for sure come up with more if I really cared to. ;)

Trust me I take no offense, every reply I just chuckle. 

I also like this conversation and think it will be helpful for others down the line.  Often times conversations tend to be you saying something is the best option and they the conversation ends.  You doesn't actually me you, just means someone of your standing in the community. Inevitably someone reads the conversation and wonders why its the best and what are the other options, what are the pro's and con's of each of those options.  A full back and forth exposes those, in my opinion.

I also have no issue or objection to doing it the way you have described but it is important for someone integrating a newer LiftMaster or Chamberlain to understand that doing it your way may be a bit more work for their dealer because somewhere they are going to have to do solder work, if thats in their capabilities.  They will also need to make sure that the door opener that gets soldered is located someplace that is easy to access so they can occasionally change the battery. 

What should we talk about next?  :P

Correct - MyQ integration integrates the online service - not the door directly. This is likely to cause some delayed reaction, especially on the status after the door opens or closes outside of C4.

You also need to make sure the polling isn't set too high, or the MyQ service will get blocked due to too much traffic.

I have MyQ setup and I have delays in the response time. How does the polling effect this? And what would be the correct polling number to set it at?

8 hours ago, TEKSTEIN said:

I have MyQ setup and I have delays in the response time. How does the polling effect this? And what would be the correct polling number to set it at?

I'll check a client or two and post.

Just going to put this out there... for folks that have more than one garage door (I have 3) life gets more complicated.  3 sensors, 3 wireless contact/relays, etc, etc.  I picked up a HC500 cheap off eBay, put that in the attic above the garage, and ran an ethernet line there.  Solid connection, plenty of relays/contacts, and the responsiveness is a dream.

Just going to put this out there... for folks that have more than one garage door (I have 3) life gets more complicated.  3 sensors, 3 wireless contact/relays, etc, etc.  I picked up a HC500 cheap off eBay, put that in the attic above the garage, and ran an ethernet line there.  Solid connection, plenty of relays/contacts, and the responsiveness is a dream.

Yes! You have the right idea. Flawless way to resolve this.

Happy Automating!

We could go back and forth on this to no avail.  

My point is that IF I'm home there are few reasons I need C4 control of my garage door, its when I'm away that its most important.  I want to be able to open my door for someone if need be, or as I'm pulling into my subdivision, etc.  I personally can think of far more reason to have control away from home then I can when I'm home.  But thats me. 

For me most programming has to do with geo-location and the door opening upon my arrival home. I don't need to program it to auto close as its a built in feature of LiftMaster, mine closes at 12 minutes without any intervention by C4.  

What exactly are people programming on their garage doors for use while at their house? 

I guess it depends on your garage(s). Mine are detached to make a courtyard for the kids to play in. Because of this, I solely use Control4 to open and close my garage doors. The Chamberlain garage door switches are located in the garages and I can count on one hand how many times I've used them. But with the relays I can always control the doors, even with the internet down.20161030_172520.thumb.jpg.b999f1e26da094