C4 Forums | Control4

Question about MyQ-Chamberlin Garage Door

Ajbarrister

Question

I currently have a Card Acess garage door kit installed (Card Acess Sensor and Card Access Relay).  I am thinking about getting the MyQ Gateway KIt (Gateway and Wall Unit). If I get the MyQ kit do I need the relay and sensor or may they be removed?

• Answers 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

? Where is a relay and contact wired to a controller or for that matter an Card Access unit (owned by C4) a second layer and third party?

A KIT by default is not native to a door. In fact, nothing is native to the 'door' as such

Are those relays/contacts owned or officially supported by LiftMaster? Is the method of integration supported by LiftMaster or is it a hack?

MyQ is owned and supported by LiftMaster, and it's functionality is built into the opener. Official integrations supported by LiftMaster with alarm systems utilize MyQ.

Maybe I'm wrong but in my head that sounds like it's native.

Also using contacts/relays hooked into Control4 offers no better reliability of control over MyQ. In fact it add one additional fail point into the equation. If the internet goes down then MyQ and C4 control fail, if C4 goes down you lose control unless your using MyQ which then you can just use the app.

I see MyQ as native to the opener, it integrates into c4 nicely and using it offers some redundancy in the event c4 is having issues and infrequently as that happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, cdepaola said:

Are those relays/contacts owned or officially supported by LiftMaster? Is the method of integration supported by LiftMaster or is it a hack?

it's not a hack - this is how i run my door.

I have a garage door rail alarm sensor wired into a contact sensor on my controller.  

Then wired into the button I connected a card access relay.  Boom.

Cost me about $65

it's not a hack - this is how i run my door.

I have a garage door rail alarm sensor wired into a contact sensor on my controller.  

Then wired into the button I connected a card access relay.  Boom.

Cost me about $65

According to LiftMaster wiring into their garage door buttons or the control panel of the opener is a hack. Just had that conversation with a regional rep.

1 minute ago, cdepaola said:

According to LiftMaster wiring into their garage door buttons or the control panel of the opener is a hack. Just had that conversation with a regional rep.

i would disagree - but it's fine.  I could have wired it right to the opener - would that still have been a hack?

I would say anything that doesn't generate revenue for LiftMaster they are going to consider a hack

And MyQ cost me $50, the driver is free, and I now have a separate app to use if c4 goes down.

Don't get me wrong I understand this method works, it's how I like everyone else had my door integrated before MyQ.

Just completely disagreed with Cyk that it's useless or introduces any issues that c4 integration doesn't.

Nope, it's built Into the opener I have.

I did have another opener thats maybe 12-15 years old that I had to deal with. However I didn't need to buy a new opener, just a new wall button for $23 which had MyQ built into it AND gives your older door a built in timer for auto closing the door.

Liftmaster 888LM Security+ 2.0 MyQ Wall Control Upgrades Previous Models 1998 (and later) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B8BFG0O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_cm7AybJ1Y7Q6H

I've also been seeing MyQ go up in commercial, industrial, and government installations. Was just at a fire department that had it installed at 10 different stations which was over 40 doors. Every rig has the app on their phone and can get into every stations overhead doors. They did nothing but rave about all it's done.

Their newest doors come with wifi connectivity built in, no bridge needed. If your opener has MyQ but no wifi then you need a bridge, if you don't have MyQ you need the retrofit opener and a bridge.

You need 1 bridge per home.

So worst case, $50 for the bridge and $23 for a MyQ wall button. However it's a labor savings as I don't have to run any wire back to the controller, if I even can, or to a $100+ access wireless relay/contact.

Archived