C4 Forums | Control4

Amazon Echo

Scrib

So I've been living in a cave for the last few months but saw the Amazon Echo works with C4.  Questions.  I saw in the C4 blog, a 4Sight subscription is needed?  Why?  I don't have one, nor do I really need one currently.

What's the OS requirement?  I think I'm on 2.8.1?  Is there anything my installer would need to do other than a potential OS upgrade?

Thanks!

Amazon communicates securely to your Control4 system via the web using 4sight services. If you want the Amazon echo capabilities, you'll need 4sight.

The OS requirement is 2.8.2. For basic light control, volume control - you shouldn't need anything other than 4Sight and to make sure you're on 2.8.2. If you want to create your own custom scenes,  - "Echo, turn on Party Mode" - your dealer will need to add the Voice Scene driver.

Have fun!

1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

http://www.epic-systems.com/products/amazon-echo-driver-for-control4

add that driver

1 time fee.  dont need 4sight for it to work.  Has more functions too.

Interesting, thanks.  Does this driver bind the echo and C4 project together and stays within my LAN?  As a understand, the native amazon/C4 integration requires both amazon services and C4 services in the cloud; hence why 4sight is necessary?

8 minutes ago, Scrib said:

Interesting, thanks.  Does this driver bind the echo and C4 project together and stays within my LAN?  As a understand, the native amazon/C4 integration requires both amazon services and C4 services in the cloud; hence why 4sight is necessary?

it uses Amazon still and it is still cloud based, but it is not C4 Dependent.

5 minutes ago, Nehsmit said:

Dont you guys ever use C4 from outside your home? I adjust mine all the time and couldnt imagine not having that access.

As for Echo--definitely worth it. Very easy to use for your common functions on a daily basis.

Yes, I do.  But I have a server that I VPN in to.  Problem solved.

Archived