C4 Forums | Control4

Homebridge Driver for HomeKit Support?

Joshua Pressnell

On 11/19/2018 at 9:29 AM, digitaltrader said:

Does the update fix the recent issues where errant status is reported?

Hey everyone!  I just published version 1.1.16 of the homebridge plugin.  For those of you "doing it yourself", please make sure to upgrade the plugin version installed on your units.  For those of you with my OS licenses or hardware appliances, the web portal on your units will soon show you the available update.  Please make sure to install it.  I believe this update should correct *all* issues with errant status being reported as well as occasional issues where a command from HomeKit isn't processed.  

5 hours ago, Joshua Pressnell said:

Hey everyone!  I just published version 1.1.16 of the homebridge plugin.  For those of you "doing it yourself", please make sure to upgrade the plugin version installed on your units.  For those of you with my OS licenses or hardware appliances, the web portal on your units will soon show you the available update.  Please make sure to install it.  I believe this update should correct *all* issues with errant status being reported as well as occasional issues where a command from HomeKit isn't processed.  

Thanks!  This is my favorite driver.  I appreciate your hard work.

• 1 year later...

I just had to rebuild my RPi Homebridge server as the uSD card seemed to die.  I have everything back up and running but I am having trouble getting all of my C4 devices into HomeKit.

I did the scan in the Homebridge web UI and I found 161 Control4 devices.

When I went to Add Accessory on my iPhone it initially found three Homebridge bridges.  The first one worked OK and it added 75 devices.  The second bridge churned away for a bit and then gave a fail message.  The third device seemed to work and it added 11 devices.  So I appear to have about 86 out of 161 devices showing up in HomeKit.  I am missing 75 devices (presumably from the "second" bridge).

When I go into the Hubs & Bridges screen I see two Homebrige bridges, one with 75 devices (the first one) and one with 11 devices (the third device).

I want to try to add the "second" bridge again but it isn't showing up when I try to add an accessory.  I have also tried on another iOS device and it sees the same info as my phone.

I have tried restarting Homebridge and I have rebooted the RPi.  

How can I get that second bridge to reappear?  

8 hours ago, zaphod said:

I just had to rebuild my RPi Homebridge server as the uSD card seemed to die.  I have everything back up and running but I am having trouble getting all of my C4 devices into HomeKit.

I did the scan in the Homebridge web UI and I found 161 Control4 devices.

When I went to Add Accessory on my iPhone it initially found three Homebridge bridges.  The first one worked OK and it added 75 devices.  The second bridge churned away for a bit and then gave a fail message.  The third device seemed to work and it added 11 devices.  So I appear to have about 86 out of 161 devices showing up in HomeKit.  I am missing 75 devices (presumably from the "second" bridge).

When I go into the Hubs & Bridges screen I see two Homebrige bridges, one with 75 devices (the first one) and one with 11 devices (the third device).

I want to try to add the "second" bridge again but it isn't showing up when I try to add an accessory.  I have also tried on another iOS device and it sees the same info as my phone.

I have tried restarting Homebridge and I have rebooted the RPi.  

How can I get that second bridge to reappear?  

This is not correct, you should have only one bridge, the best thing to do is to erase all these bridges and tie your HomeKit with a new bridge then you will be able to add all your devices into one bridge ...

Your advice is actually incorrect. HomeKit has a hard limit on the number of devices per bridge. If you exceed that limit, HomeKit won’t talk to ANY of the devices on that bridge. 

So my system automatically creates multiple bridge services as needed in order to support the total device list. It sounds like one of the services got stuck. You should use the advanced options to “clear persistent data” and then restart homebridge (via the web portal) and try again. 

I did the clear persistent data but then the Home app couldn't seem to connect to the other devices that were installed from the other Homebridges.  So I essentially had to start over from scratch.  

I don't know if you are still actively developing this but it would be awesome if you could transfer over the room names from C4 to HomeKit.  It is a real pain to have to assign rooms to 161 devices, and some of the devices can be tricky to identify when you have five different lights named "Ceiling Pots" or "Sconces".

I think it may be the only one to get Siri support.

Joshua sells this through here:  http://varietassoftware.com/control4/

You need a RPi to act as an intermediary Homebridge that bridges C4 and HomeKit.  It is actually lightning fast - for some reason I seem to get notifications faster from my phone then I do via C4.

On 12/22/2019 at 3:32 PM, Joshua Pressnell said:

Your advice is actually incorrect. HomeKit has a hard limit on the number of devices per bridge. If you exceed that limit, HomeKit won’t talk to ANY of the devices on that bridge. 

So my system automatically creates multiple bridge services as needed in order to support the total device list. It sounds like one of the services got stuck. You should use the advanced options to “clear persistent data” and then restart homebridge (via the web portal) and try again. 

But he has only 170 device? The hard limit is 1000 unless there is something I’m missing?

On 12/23/2019 at 5:36 AM, zaphod said:

Is it possible to use the Docker version of Homebridge and then install the Control4 plugin?  I am guessing not as I don't think that would make the Control4/Homebridge web UI available

Am using the Docker version on my Synology NAS, works great and I do have a GUI and I did some JSON editing to get it done, not a rocket science and not lots of reading either. I wanted to eliminate one more device in my network so am running lots of apps on Docker and couldn’t be more happier!

6 hours ago, Amr said:

Am using the Docker version on my Synology NAS, works great and I do have a GUI and I did some JSON editing to get it done, not a rocket science and not lots of reading either. I wanted to eliminate one more device in my network so am running lots of apps on Docker and couldn’t be more happier!

Any tips on how to do this?  I would love to get this running on the Homebridge docker on my unRAID server.  I have installed the Homebridge docker plus the Control4 Homebridge plugin, but I don't know where to go from there.  I am wondering if I could copy over the json file from my Pi Homebridge server.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, KWD said:

Any way to control C4 scenes or audio devices? I'm guessing dummy lights could be added and linked to a scene.  

That’s exactly how I’d do it... link a dummy light and then map that to a HomeKit scene with just that device in it. You can do a LOT with dummy lights and dimmers and C4 programming. 

• 1 month later...

Just got a new car and there is no garage door openers in it - I could put a garage door opener in the car but would rather voice enable it. 

Is it possible with your driver to:

1. on your Apple iphone 11 say 'hey siri" open right garage door and

2. have the garage door open using control 4.

I have a fair sized Control 4 application already running and would like to enable voice control of the doors with SIRI.

If this is possible can you tell me what the costs are?  We already have alexa integrated to if it would be cheaper to use alexa in the car I can do that.

Thoughts?

21 hours ago, TexasBill said:

Just got a new car and there is no garage door openers in it - I could put a garage door opener in the car but would rather voice enable it. 

Is it possible with your driver to:

1. on your Apple iphone 11 say 'hey siri" open right garage door and

2. have the garage door open using control 4.

I have a fair sized Control 4 application already running and would like to enable voice control of the doors with SIRI.

If this is possible can you tell me what the costs are?  We already have alexa integrated to if it would be cheaper to use alexa in the car I can do that.

Thoughts?

It's possible, but I've been less than thrilled with Apple's Garage Door access.  Because it's a "home security" issue (opening portals to your home), Apple doesn't allow you to use Siri to open/close garage doors while the phone is locked... which is to say... "most of the time".  So when I'm coming up to my driveway, I say "Siri, open my garage doors" and Siri tells me she can't do that because my phone is locked.  Then I have to fish my phone out, unlock it, and repeat my command.  That works... but if I have to unlock my phone, the whole point of Siri voice commands is pretty much useless.  I haven't found a way around this yet.  HOWEVER... since you have an Apple Watch "always unlocked" on your wrist, you CAN open garage doors using Siri and your watch without too much hassle.  

The total costs vary depending on whether you provide your own hardware or not.  You at least need a license for my driver.  But after that, it's possible to setup the homebridge stuff entirely DIY if you want to, for no additional cost.  If you want to license my OS image, you can purchase that for $50, or a drop-in ready-to-install homebridge hardware appliance can be purchased from my site as well.  This will give you much more than garage doors.  It unlocks all HomeKit compatible hardware from Control4 for use with HomeKit/Siri.

With Control4 you might want to put in switches or relays to control the opening of the doors.  The leader in this area has been Chamberlain and they have f'ed around with their API and caused lots of external apps (and C4 drivers)to break.  Controlling the doors by flipping relays should be a lot more reliable.  But I am not sure how you get that into HomeKit to use with Siri.

Or you could just buy a Tesla.  They use Geofencing to open your garage door when you get in the driveway. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.