C4 Forums | Control4

An SR260 with built in IR blaster

Years ago when it was a 250 even..  i suggested this was a good idea... and I keep coming over situations when gee wiz...  i just wish the SR260 had an IR transmitter built into the end of it...

kinda like the Harmony...     So if network control fails.  >. send IR command...

and low and behold again...  i have another example as my state of the art Sony tv dumps on my network and  i have to pull out the ethernet chord...

So can Control4 please think about designing something like this ?

Thanks

W.

I don't find this a stupid idea at all, honestly. Nearly every other "universal remote" has the ability to emit IR codes as well as RF. At the very least this is a good option for just turning on/off a TV that is being controlled via IR since most clients instinctively point it at the display anyway; of course there are scenarios where this won't work and an embedded emitter/232/IP is important...or like the OP stated, as backup when shit fails...and you know it will, just to keep some basic features available to the client.

It would be stupid as f@#k!

my own system have 3 displays, all IR-controlled. So if something goes wrong it could be a solution to turn on the displays with the remote. 

But...they all have sound and inputs going through AV-switches that is controlled with IP or RS232, so I still can't hear anything or chose a source. 

And how should the remote go into "backup-mode"? If you just want to use it when everything fails, you can't control something that has failed. That includes a remote that is supposed to start sending IR-commands. The other option would be to always have it active. And if you happen not to point to your TV when you start your room, now you have an issue as most TV's have on/off-toggle. Or what about when you have your TV in front of you and your STB besides you?

If you want your control-systems remote to send IR, you dont need a control-system, or have it poorly designed. 

the logic to make something like this work would be terrible, how do you know when to send IP or send IR...there are so many reasons why this wouldn't work, not to mention if you control4 system isn't working the remote ain't doing shit, the remote the needs the controllers to be up and operational....

3 hours ago, msgreenf said:

the logic to make something like this work would be terrible, how do you know when to send IP or send IR...there are so many reasons why this wouldn't work, not to mention if you control4 system isn't working the remote ain't doing shit, the remote the needs the controllers to be up and operational....

Why? Harmony seems to have been able to do it perfectly...

Give one of the keys a "failsafe" command...

The GUI on the SR260 could be used for feedback.... 

I get tired of Control4 and (some dealers) not listening to the experience of end users... clearly valuable  feedback from the field in real life situations (when the dealer isn't there ) never gets fed back ....

I've been telling you guys that this would be a valuable addition (when things fail)..which they do from time to time. No denying it..

Take it or leave it

Whether dealers think it is a good idea or not is frankly irrelevant.

You don't live in our houses 24/7...

2 hours ago, RAV said:

It's a control SYSTEM, not a remote control.

"Well, in this room you have to point, and no the app can't turn off the TV because, and"... yeah no thanks.

Run a wire, use a z2ir or IP control. Don't want no line of sight stuff.

Bollucks.

The SR260 is still designed like a traditional Universal remote.

It even looks like one.

It's an association in the mind thing..

There is absolutely zero reason why end users shouldn't be given the option to use it like that...

I'm not saying make it just shoot IR.. I'm saying give us the option (on occasions)..

Oh and BTW this is likely to become more and more a problem as we lose robust serial as a control option... (and the switch is on to network control)

I'm saying network control is flawed sometimes and there needs to be a backup.

Some around here can keep their heads in the sand and think network is 100% reliable 24/7, but that is just BS frankly..

It never will be.

So without some sort of IR backup, frankly a 100% switch to network control is a train wreck of an approach IMHO..

100% network control just does not cut it in the real world I am afraid.. way too many variables...

be honest with yourselves and answer one question.

How many of you still have the original remotes lying around in a draw?

Lets do a poll shall we?

I'm talking about giving back the added flexibility to the SR250 and SR260...

It's got nothing to do with using apps, or ios or TS..

We still have an SR250 and 260 in all critical watching rooms.. in addition to all the other options... 

We happen to think this is still a pretty handy device to have lying around....even if it tends to disappear down the sofa gap on occasions.. :) 

It does have to do. The remote is stupid. The remote doesn't work like your TV remote. It would be a total new hardware design. The remote doesn't send the TV a 1. It sends the proxy a 1 and then the proxy translates it to the command. That is why this doesn't work with the control4 architecture. Harmony remotes are smart. Control4 are dumb

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

^ Don't treat me as being stupid.

I know how the SR250 and 260 currently works

Then the current setup is a flawed design.

So it has a built in IR emitter already ? that true?

Fix it and redesign it... Give us the option.

W

I have no idea if there is an ir in there but I do know you just doubled the price of the remote if you are adding real intelligence to the remote. This is why you have the factory remotes as backup.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.