C4 Forums | Control4

Help Binding Two Light Loads Together!

Hi All,

Trying to figure out how to make two lighting loads on separate adaptable dimmers track each other. Only need to do this on one switch ( as the other tucked away in a control closet to make the walls look cleaner).

I have access to Composer Pro. Can someone screenshot or point me in the right direction? I know how to program when top and bottom buttons are pressed - but not how to make the loads match each other is ramped.

Cheers!

A high tech farm

• 1 year later...
14 minutes ago, ctrlaltdel said:

New to the group...using 2.10. 

How do i bind 2 dimmers together for 3 way? C4 dimmers have already been identified and updated.

You can't bind 2 dimmers.  Only one dimmer/switch controls the load. A work around is to convert the 2nd dimmer into a 2 button keypad and program top and bottom buttons to turn on/off the light from the dimmer that controls the load.

To do 3-way properly, the newer 3rd gen lighting requires an aux keypad (no id required or biding) at the other locations.  The older gen 1 or 2 requires 2 button keypads at the other locations and binding to the dimmer/switch that controls the load.

2 minutes ago, dcovach said:

You can't bind 2 dimmers.  Only one dimmer/switch controls the load. A work around is to convert the 2nd dimmer into a 2 button keypad and program top and bottom buttons to turn on/off the light from the dimmer that controls the load.

To do 3-way properly, the newer 3rd gen lighting requires an aux keypad (no id required or biding) at the other locations.  The older gen 1 or 2 requires 2 button keypads at the other locations and binding to the dimmer/switch that controls the load.

Ok..i understand that only 1 dimmer controls the load but how would you convert the second dimmer into a 2 button keypad?

You don't use a dimmer in the second spot. You use a keypad. Id the keypad and button bind it the dimmer top and bottom

Ok..i understand that only 1 dimmer controls the load but how would you convert the second dimmer into a 2 button keypad?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, ctrlaltdel said:

There's a checkbox in the driver properties lower on the page that you can click that says "Use as 2 button keypad".  Since you're probably not a dealer, you won't be able to do any binding/connections.  Instead, you can program.  Putting more than 1 dimmer in a 3-4-5 way circuit isn't the way C4 lighting is supposed to work but you CAN do it.  One dimmer controls the load while the other dimmer should only have HOT, NEUTRAL, and GROUND connected.  Cap the load wire.  Once the dimmer is converted to a 2 button keypad, you can program top and bottom presses to turn the load on at the other location.  You'll also want to program the LED's to match the load controlling dimmer LED status.

Otherwise, this is not the proper way to wire 3 way circuits.  You would need C4 Auxiliary keypads (for 3rd gen devices) while using traveler wires connected across the other switch locations.  They do not get identified into the project or need any binding or programming.  They are cheap too.  Older gen has 2 button keypads for 3 way but requires them to be id'ed into the project and bound.  Documentation comes with C4 lighting or you can find it online.

On 9/15/2018 at 2:38 PM, dcovach said:

There's a checkbox in the driver properties lower on the page that you can click that says "Use as 2 button keypad".  Since you're probably not a dealer, you won't be able to do any binding/connections.  Instead, you can program.  Putting more than 1 dimmer in a 3-4-5 way circuit isn't the way C4 lighting is supposed to work but you CAN do it.  One dimmer controls the load while the other dimmer should only have HOT, NEUTRAL, and GROUND connected.  Cap the load wire.  Once the dimmer is converted to a 2 button keypad, you can program top and bottom presses to turn the load on at the other location.  You'll also want to program the LED's to match the load controlling dimmer LED status.

Otherwise, this is not the proper way to wire 3 way circuits.  You would need C4 Auxiliary keypads (for 3rd gen devices) while using traveler wires connected across the other switch locations.  They do not get identified into the project or need any binding or programming.  They are cheap too.  Older gen has 2 button keypads for 3 way but requires them to be id'ed into the project and bound.  Documentation comes with C4 lighting or you can find it online.

many thx...that worked.

Archived