C4 Forums | Control4

Google Home Ideas and Best Practices

ILoveC4

Hey guys, after starting to dive in I thought I'd start an ideas and best practices thread.

A best practice I'm having success with is a universal "turn on $" and "turn off $". Then on the variables I include the phrasing around "the kitchen lights" or "the bedroom TV", etc...

I thing I have found is that it works FAR better if you let the word "the" exist within the variable as opposed to the statement. I.E.: "Turn on the $" vs "Turn on $". When using the first example, it would almost always pickup the word "the" twice. I'd have the response be "Okay, I will turn on the $" but most times would hear "Okay, I will turn on the the $". By moving the word "the" to the variable, it works flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We got the GH on Friday and my wife has not seen me since.  Been having some issues with certain things working and others not.  For instance.... I can tell GH "find my phone" and the programming for the assistant works fine.  It replies with the words I have programmed and calls my phone.  

A contact sensor inside C4 programming sends to Pushover and IFTTT sends an email and SMS.  

GH is very finicky and doesn't respond to a lot of the words I program into assistant for controlling C4.  I just got my first one to work last night after days of trying different things.  It might also be that Im not understanding the variables inside of C4 yet. 

Can you give a couple of screen shot examples of your composer variable programming for room control. Youtube video would be cool if your inclined. 

I have noticed some big differences in the Chowmain literature as compared to the real world. 

So, after living with this for a few days and seeing how the lines of "code" or "IF Statements and Commands" that end up happening that I'm going to default to Macro's.

When "turn on" is the title, then -> Execute Turn On Macro

Then I can put all the "Turn On" IF Statements and Commands there. Easier to find them that way as opposed to nested a list of hundreds of statements for turn on, turn off, turn up, set, dim, etc...

Based on that realization and the addition of the new fields to remove words, I'm going to go back through and redo all this by building these macros.

So, here's another idea for a best practice that I think will work really. I feel like using the new fields to mark everything lower case and eliminate certain words (in my case I'm eliminating "the, room, bedroom, please" thus far) I've got just about everything covered. However, I'm one of 5 people that live in the house. So what I've done, is put a STOP command after every conditional, then at the bottom I've set it to send me a notification inserting the variable.

So, for example, if someone uses a term that Control4 doesn't recognize, it will send me a notification and include the term that wasn't recognized so I can simply go add it.

Does that make sense? It works incredibly well, and I'm excited to get the notifications now when things fail, so I don't have to wonder what it heard or what someone tried to say, I can just go add it (or not, depending on what it is).

I'm loving this! Thanks Alan!

Epic Systems has released our driver for Google Home!

www.epic-systems.com

Eliminate all of this programming complexity with IF statements, STOP commands, etc, etc...save yourself some time and frustration and being required to think like a "programmer" in order to just make it work.

Epic Systems has released our driver for Google Home!

www.epic-systems.com

Eliminate all of this programming complexity with IF statements, STOP commands, etc, etc...save yourself some time and frustration and being required to think like a "programmer" in order to just make it work.

Show me.

Thanks for the video. Seems like a good solution. Do you have to add a trigger for every single light switch? It doesn't recognize any of them on its own, right?

Also, if you have multiple Google Home do you need to do all the programming two times?

Yes you have to add triggers for whatever you want to control. Typically I don't do individual light switches, I just use a trigger to activate a lighting scene which contains several dimmers. If you have multiple Google Homes, you don't need to do anything extra...they will all be aware of the devices immediately.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Archived