C4 Forums | Control4

Two routers?

Elvis

Synology has a router out that, as I read it, will turn an attached USB drive into a Synology NAS (or close to it.)

I'm thinking about picking one up and attaching my Drobo 5D to it, but not sure of the impact on the network. I'm not at my end-game state for my network as I plan to move to Araknis, Ubiquiti, or Luxul. Although the Synology router is not that expensive, I don't want to become dependent on its NAS features if I have to get rid of it later. Can a router be setup to act only as a switch? Never thought about the implications of two WIFI routers before.

20 hours ago, Elvis said:

Synology has a router out that, as I read it, will turn an attached USB drive into a Synology NAS (or close to it.)

I'm thinking about picking one up and attaching my Drobo 5D to it, but not sure of the impact on the network. I'm not at my end-game state for my network as I plan to move to Araknis, Ubiquiti, or Luxul. Although the Synology router is not that expensive, I don't want to become dependent on its NAS features if I have to get rid of it later. Can a router be setup to act only as a switch? Never thought about the implications of two WIFI routers before.

You can reuse any router as a switch later on, but, if you want a reliable NAS router, why not go with the Linksys WRT1900AC? It has pretty much the same price and a far better storage performance. If you're not attached to the Synology software (which I must admit, is very good), you can install an Open Source software on the WRT1900AC, because the default one kind of sucks.

The problem with using a router as a switch, is that there are many ways in which it can get reset into full routing mode, and then you have a heck of a time figuring out why things dont work.

if you want a NAS, I suggest getting a NAS...not a device that could also be a NAS. 

45 minutes ago, Lex said:

You can reuse any router as a switch later on, but, if you want a reliable NAS router, why not go with the Linksys WRT1900AC? It has pretty much the same price and a far better storage performance. If you're not attached to the Synology software (which I must admit, is very good), you can install an Open Source software on the WRT1900AC, because the default one kind of sucks.

Welcome to the forum, @Lex. Where did you get information on storage performance?

17 hours ago, kajphotos said:

I just turned off my wifi on my AirPort Extreme and just added 2 UniFi AC lite AP's and it's night and day the range and stability is insane 

My ISP will practically give me those AC lites. Notice any issues with your mobile devices when moving from one AP to another?

If you connect a LAN port on the Synology router to your existing network, it should work just like another device on your network and not do any routing.  I have a Time Capsule set up this way on my network (Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Pro and Luxul XMS-7048P).

11 hours ago, Elvis said:

My ISP will practically give me those AC lites. Notice any issues with your mobile devices when moving from one AP to another?

No problems at all I did read that it was more problematic with the AC Pro and the long range units ! 

Archived