C4 Forums | Control4

Vista 20P 4232cbm Honeywell

abovedeck

Question

I've read just about every thread on here about integration between this alarm panel and C4.  My programmer has spent about 6 hours trying to get it to work using all of the different combinations posted on this site (although old threads with drivers that are no longer available), and ADT came today and spent another 3.  No luck.  The problem is that the alarm system keeps getting fire triggers or hold up triggers from the C4.  I have another guy from ADT coming on Friday who swears he knows how to do it, but he also states that the correct module is the 4100SM, not the 4232.

Is there some more recent history of a successful integration? I've got an EA-5 and a newer Vista 20P panel... Bummed that this has not been an easy install.

• Answers 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 hour ago, Joshua Pressnell said:

Also... don't be afraid to try swapping pins 2 and 3. (Transmit/receive). It won't hurt anything and I've seen conflicting reports in documentation about whether the hardware is null modem or not. Don't remember just now what my wiring ended up as... but I can look to confirm if you don't get it.  I have a collection of null modem adapters from back in the old days, so I usually wire it up one way and then pop in a null modem if it didn't work out of the gate. 

Sadly, I can't find my serial signal breakout box anymore. With that hooked up, I could always guarantee my wiring.  Now I just have to brute force it and try all the possibilities. ;)

so try swapping send and receive on the db9 side, not the 4232/vista 20p side?

Also... don't be afraid to try swapping pins 2 and 3. (Transmit/receive). It won't hurt anything and I've seen conflicting reports in documentation about whether the hardware is null modem or not. Don't remember just now what my wiring ended up as... but I can look to confirm if you don't get it.  I have a collection of null modem adapters from back in the old days, so I usually wire it up one way and then pop in a null modem if it didn't work out of the gate. 

Sadly, I can't find my serial signal breakout box anymore. With that hooked up, I could always guarantee my wiring.  Now I just have to brute force it and try all the possibilities. ;)

Ditch the 4232cbm and get the HSIM module from houselogix. Setup takes no time at all. It's the only module we've used for vista panel integration for the last three years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it still have the problem of not reporting all the zone faults and only reporting the first open zone?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Simplyauto1 said:

Ditch the 4232cbm and get the HSIM module from houselogix. Setup takes no time at all. It's the only module we've used for vista panel integration for the last three years.

DID JUST THAT.  Received the module this morning.  Will connect later. 

In terms of wire from the module to the alarm panel, will cat5 work or is there a difference between that and alarm wire?

On 1/21/2017 at 5:58 AM, Joshua Pressnell said:

Doesn't really matter. One or the other but not both. 

From your later post though, I agree... panel programming sounds off. 

On 1/21/2017 at 6:25 AM, msgreenf said:

based on the error thrown when you disconnected it has he it programmed wrong 100%.  It should show up as a key pad, not a receiver, like your error says.  and the alarm should NEVER error when disconnected.  It needs to be on the keypad bus...

22 hours ago, Simplyauto1 said:

Got the HSIM from houselogix and voila!  It works.  Dan Covach was a great help in getting it up and running.  Have a couple ?s about it so I'll post on here, but it's nice to finally have the alarm integrated and start setting up my programming.

On 16/12/2016 at 5:21 PM, AdamT said:

Did you read this? Also on a side note I know at my work we had to set the virtual keypad to 2 not 5 because if a speedbump we hit and once we went to 2 everything went well.

Note below.

These are the instructions I wrote down when I did mine.  Maybe it will help. Some of it is from the Honeywell book.

Vista 20P simple instructions:

Set these values in the fields:

*91 8,2

*189 1,1,5,5

*190 - *196 1,5 choose a location where there is no physical keypad, and set the keypad address number in the control4 driver. ie. If there is 1 physical keypad it is default address 16, so set address 17 keypad (*191) to 1,5 and enter 17 as the addess under "ECP address for 1st keypad"

ECP address for 4232CBM module :

This is the address value equal to 25, to be configured in CBM module to get the panel status updates.

The same 25th address should be configured as RIS module in panel.

Refer the security panel data sheets for more information.

ECP address for 1st keypad Emulation :

This is the address to be set to CBM module to get the display messages and virtual keypad functionality in control4.

A keypad should be configured to 1st partition in security panel at the same address.

Refer the security panel data sheets for more information.

Number of Zones :

These are the number of zones to be created, monitored and assign the event actions based on the status of the zones.

Number of Partitions:

These are the number of Partitions to be created, monitored and assign the event actions based on the status of the Partitions.

Polling:

This is the configuration set to the CBM module for whether to send the status update messages from panel to control4 as and when it occurs asynchronously(When polling is OFF) or on status request from control4(when polling is ON).

AUI Support:

This is the configuration set to CBM module to get the zone descriptors from security panel. The same AUI option should be enabled in security panel configuration at the same above mentioned ECP address for 1st keypad Emulation.Refer the security panel data sheets for more information.

Debug Mode:

This is facility provided to get the RS232 communication logs when the mode is true.

Reconnect:

Selecting this button resets and configures the 4232CBM according to the driver settings configured in Composer. If you have made configuration changes and the system is not responding correctly, or if the Control4 system loses communications with the control panel (e.g. if the control panel completely loses both AC and battery power), select this button to re-establish normal operation.

Zone Settings:

If you wish to monitor more than 48 zones, you can change the number of zone bindings available with the 'Number of Zones' property on the Properties page.

To use the zone status changes, add Control4 Contact devices (motion sensor contact, door contact, etc. to the Control4 project, and then make Connections in the Connections page to the appropriate security panel zone.

Zone Descriptor:

Make sure that AUI option enabled/disabled same as both the panel and driver side.

Note:

Low end Panel configuration:

If both the side AUI option is enabled, ECP address for 1st keypad Emulation address should be one of 1,2,5 and 6 which is enabled AUI option for the Home partition (Partition 1).

Wiring configuration:

Straight Cable Connection:

4232CBM pin Connection

5-6->(RX)

7-8->(TX)

3-4->(GND)

at DB9 pin Connection

2(RX)

3(TX)

5(GND)

Limitations:

WARNING: If you change/update the Number of Zones, you will lose any connections made to those zone bindings, and need to re-connect them to your project sensors

I use to work for Honeywell, can you please explain why you need to program *190 to *196 thank you!!

On 1/3/2018 at 1:56 PM, Manlio said:

I use to work for Honeywell, can you please explain why you need to program *190 to *196 thank you!!

Not sure, that was something I quoted from someone else in the group.

based on the error thrown when you disconnected it has he it programmed wrong 100%.  It should show up as a key pad, not a receiver, like your error says.  and the alarm should NEVER error when disconnected.  It needs to be on the keypad bus...

This whole thread is still driving me nuts. It took me a little bit of a learning curve, but once I got the setup worked out (and the errors were all mine) this exact same setup has been rock solid for me. I have to believe it's something simple that we're just not seeing through the posts. I wish you were close enough for me to just drop by. I'd donate my time just to figure it out! 

+5

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This whole thread is still driving me nuts. It took me a little bit of a learning curve, but once I got the setup worked out (and the errors were all mine) this exact same setup has been rock solid for me. I have to believe it's something simple that we're just not seeing through the posts. I wish you were close enough for me to just drop by. I'd donate my time just to figure it out! 

Had my AV guy and re do all the wiring, still same issue.

Decided to order a DB9 connector from amazon with a bus connected so that I can have perfect connections with each pin.

If this does not work, does anyone have experience with the houselogix HSIM?  Are there features that the houselogix driver does not provide vs the honeywell?

Yeah... they really should be using a standard serial cable.  There's a reason that they don't just sell cat5 wire with different kinds of ends on it for everything.  I didn't comment on it, because I've SEEN cat5 used for all sorts of things, and generally it's OK in a pinch.  It's probably OK for this use, although "not the best".  If you're still having issues after rewiring with one wire per pin, buy a standard serial cable and get a computer tech to wire it up for you based on the instructions posted for wiring diagram.

5 minutes ago, d1amund said:

Good luck with that. But what really bothers my is they are using cat5 to extend the serial connection. Distance and cable type from controller/IOx to the module is important. The module should be close to the controller/IOx and connected via standard serial cable or 22-24 gauge stranded non-twisted cable and then extend from there to the alarm panel via 22 gauge stranded non-twisted. It's better to extend from module to panel if cat5 must be used due to what's in place or can't/won't get the proper wire between the two.

there's about five feet of wire, that's all.

GREAT.  I'll re do this after dinner, and if this is the case and has been the problem all along, I am well within my right to ask my dealer for a refund on the 6 HOURS they wasted on this!!!!!!!!!! RIGHT?

Good luck with that. But what really bothers my is they are using cat5 to extend the serial connection. Distance and cable type from controller/IOx to the module is important. The module should be close to the controller/IOx and connected via standard serial cable or 22-24 gauge stranded non-twisted cable and then extend from there to the alarm panel via 22 gauge stranded non-twisted. It's better to extend from module to panel if cat5 must be used due to what's in place or can't/won't get the proper wire between the two.

Um. Yeah. I can't for the life of me figure out what extra wires would constructively do for you, but I can certainly think of lots of ways it might screw things up. 

Agreed on messing things up. Likely everything is programmed properly

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Archived