C4 Forums | Control4

Homebridge Network Appliance Beta - Control4 w/ HomeKit

Joshua Pressnell

Ok.  So this is for folks who have been following my Control4 Homekit discussion here:

The driver beta has been going pretty well, and I've had no complaints or bug reports from any of the beta testers I've heard from so far.  I've shifted focus to the drop-in network appliance that will act as the "bridge" between HomeKit and my Control4 driver.  The software for that is nearly done.  I just need to create some good "getting started" documents to go with the hardware so it's easy to just plugin and get going.  I'm ready to offer a beta of the appliance hardware to the first 5 people that request it at 30% off MSRP (MSRP = $225, beta version = $150).  The beta version will be fully functional and will be able to update easily to any future release of my code, so once you've got it, it's yours and will continue to work.  The only thing you'll need to go "full production" is a licensed copy of my driver, once that's finished.  The only thing I ask in return is that you keep me updated about how it's working for you, positive or otherwise.  First come, first served.  It will take me a bit to get the hardware ordered and assembled for shipping, so expect delivery at the beginning of January.

Currently, there are 5/5 beta devices available.

Currently, there are 4/5 beta devices available.

Currently, there are 3/5 beta devices available.

Currently, there are 2/5 beta devices available.

Currently, there is ONE beta device left!

Sorry.... beta devices are all gone. As soon as I'm done with beta and go to full release, I'll let you all know!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, etrochez said:

Does the price also include the driver license?

Not for production units.  I'll be selling the driver as standalone via Houselogix once it's finished.  Several dealers have indicated that they'll run their own homebridge setups and just want the driver only.  I setup pricing for the hardware so that MSRP on the hardware+driver is $400 all-in ($225 for the hardware unit and $175 for the driver).  There will be reasonable dealer pricing for both the hardware and driver, and I'll offer one free copy of the production driver to all dealers for showroom/demo.  The homebridge plugin itself is open source, so if you're reasonably technically savvy, you could choose to setup your own server (on any always-running machine or on your own purchased hardware) and configure homebridge yourself.  My appliance is meant to be a dead-simple drop-in solution for folks who don't want the hassle of going through setting up homebridge/linux, etc, etc.  You just start it up, import the config (via web browser) and it works.  It's also a bit simpler to go that route for the customer, so when new devices are added, or new software releases come out, the customer can upgrade the appliance themselves and import the new devices without requiring the dealer to mess with the HomeKit setup.

I will include a free copy of the production driver for folks who purchase the unit under the beta program, as a thank you.  Putting up with beta products and helping me make stuff better is definitely worth it for me. :)

@joshua pressnell

I noticed the ecobee thermostat has geofencing built into those HomeKit setup to allow different scenes to happen when leaving or arriving. You can also adjust the size of area for your geo fence.

Not ire if this is something that could be incorporated. But I know it would be at the top of a feature list request due to the ability of waking up your home when close or shutting it down when away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still haven't had a proper amount of time playing with the HomeKit. As all of my devices and my clients are native control4 devices. Certainly can't wait until you beta appliance arrives :)

Thank you for your continued work on this project!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

For those following along (and for those that purchased the beta units)... I have the code for the appliance finished now.  I just need to clean up the base image so the installation on the units I send out is clean and write up some basic documentation to go along with the hardware and then I'll get them sent out and on their way to you all.  I have all the hardware in my office, ready to accept the firmware once I have it all cleaned up and ready to go.  

I'm headed to CES this week, so I won't be able to finish this up until next week... but we're almost to the finish line.

Happy new year!

Ok guys... I've finished the cleanup and documentation.  I've attached the first draft of the quick start user guide to this post.  Any comments would be appreciated, but I'll be sending out the beta units with what's attached in the next couple of days if I don't hear anything.  I've tried to make the whole process as dead-simple as possible, but also allow for some more advanced users.  I'm really really looking for honest feedback.

User-Guide.pdf

Hi joshua,

I currently have homekit "working" by using homebrdige (docker container on synology NAS) to send HTTP commands into Ryan's web event driver. This is a one way system in that I can use siri to kick off any action that is programmable but there is no feedback etc. What additional features will your solution offer?

I just set this up as a little "wonder if I can" project with no intention for it to have any real use but it actually does work quite well.

Will your driver have a way of working when you away without an Apple TV?

My driver offers quite a few features beyond the basic web events setup. The most obvious is that it's fully bidirectional. Commands go in, and status and device state come out. This makes HomeKit adequately reflect the state of the home. 

Secondly, my driver and plugin allows for the devices to be properly displayed in HomeKit based on their device type. Switches look like switches. Dimmers look like dimmers and can set the brightness in addition to on/off. Garage doors show both current position and allow open/close actions. My Control4 homebridge plugin, which interfaces with the driver, supports nearly every Control4 device that can be represented in HomeKit. The only thing missing right now is thermostats. 

Thirdly, you only need a single copy of the driver installed and you don't need any programming for the driver to work. The driver outputs the proper configuration for homebridge automatically and the Control4 homebridge plugin handles all the command details for each device. The Control4 driver interfaces with all the C4 devices automatically And without programming. 

With a little creativity it can be used for all sorts of things. 

HomeKit can be used outside the home if you have an Apple TV or an iPad running inside the home, but you do need one or the other to stay home and be the "hub" for secure communication to the HomeKit system. My house is setup that way and it works quite well. 

Archived