C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 AVM-16a2-b amplifier

Joetad1

HI folks! I recently purchased a control 4 multi channel amp to power the first floor of a whole home audio system. At the time I was unaware of the limitations to end-user programming with control 4 hardware/software. 

I feel like I may have a couple of options and would certainly appreciate insight from more experienced control 4 users on this matter.

Basically, I'm needing the Amp to power the first floor of my system. Will I be able to program inputs and outputs for each zone on this amp or will that be one of the functions that a control 4 dealer has to make?

Would I be better off integrating a Music Bridge and several of the HC-300 series controllers and finding someone to set me up remotely? Can that be done?

I'm wanting a very simple system that will only be for streaming audio in all locations and a additional surround sound in 2 possibly 3 locations.  

I currently have 16 speakers that I wano to set up into 2 (possibly 3) zones on the first floor. I will have a few more speakers and amps added for 2 more floors later on. Smaller zones and speaker setups. 

Will setting it up as described above and having it activated online be an option? 

Thanks so much for your help.

Joe

Programming would be done by the dealer if I decided to use several HC-300 boxes and a Music Bridge or programming would need to be done by the dealer if I decided to use the amp as the only piece of Control4 hardware in the system (just assigning inputs to outputs)? 

The more I look at the Control4 hardware the more I really like it. I just don't want to have to rely on someone else to make every little change that needs to be made to the system. 

Thanks so much for your help. It's much appreciated.

Let's break this down one by one so everything's clear.

I recently purchased a control 4 multi channel amp to power the first floor of a whole home audio system.

Lots of dealers won't install equipment they didn't sell. I'm not saying NONE will, but just don't be surprised if a dealer refuses to.

Basically, I'm needing the Amp to power the first floor of my system. Will I be able to program inputs and outputs for each zone on this amp or will that be one of the functions that a control 4 dealer has to make?

Devices aren't "programmed" like they are in a URC / Crestron / etc system. Virtual connections are made with composer. But these connections can only be set by a dealer with composer pro.

Would I be better off integrating a Music Bridge and several of the HC-300 series controllers and finding someone to set me up remotely? Can that be done?

Creating a new system based off HC-300s is a TERRIBLE idea. They can't be updated to the latest version, they're missing the app license, and I've seen a few power supplies in them fail from age. The new EAs can do almost everything a WMB can do (except Bluetooth).

I currently have 16 speakers that I want to set up into 2 (possibly 3) zones on the first floor. I will have a few more speakers and amps added for 2 more floors later on. Smaller zones and speaker setups. 

If you connect that many speakers to that few zones, you're gonna have a bad time.

I just don't want to have to rely on someone else to make every little change that needs to be made to the system. 

That's how Control4 works. It's either work with a dealer or look toward another system.

Contact AK1 on this forum and he can likely help you out. Buy an EA3 or something along those lines to power the project and he can help you from afar.

The amp won't do anything without a controller, and as already said HC300 is a waste of time. I know the $25 price is appealing, but that's all their worth and there's a reason why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for the responses. I guess I was just a touch arrogant when I quickly looked over the specs and saw that it needed to be programmed to set the zones for each channel..... I assumed that I could handle it myself and I have some experience working with computers. Haha. 

The specs looked great and the price was right.....plus I'm not looking for anything special.  Just 2 zones (possibly 3) to sound as good as in-ceiling/wall speakers run from an app driven digital source can sound. Nothing fancy or elaborate.

I had not done enough research to know how Control 4 systems are set up. 

So would I be better off selling the Amp and getting something else or paying someone to set the zones up for me? Basically I was looking to put a few sonos connects on it and call it good. 

The systems sound awesome for integrated home theater and automation but I'm really just needing something to play music from an app with options as to which or multiple zones it goes to. It sounds like that would be a very expensive system for something so basic with this amp. 

Again, thanks for all your help guys. It's much appreciated. 

An HC800 with licences will be the cheapest item to put in front of the multizone amp.

It will do airport / shairbridge without another device. Also do Pandora, tune in, rhapsody and local music natively.

It has two analog out for the muktizone amp and two digital (coax and hdmi) you can put a convertor on for more analogue.

So you then get

1 latest software

2 enough audio out

3 one box

4 less.for someone to set up remotely.

Good luck.

Archived