C4 Forums | Control4

Compatibility with Chromecast

sfried

Question

Google Pixel and Google Home devices make it really simple to send music to a Chromecast device.  Is there a simple way to have this sent to the Control4 system to utilize my existing system and speakers?  Any suggestions on best way to set this up to easily play the Google sourced music content through my Control4 system?

Thanks.

15 answers to this question

If I put a single chromecast into an audio matrix for $30 you could stream that all over the house?  That's great.  Have to start it from the phone but could use C4 to add zones and control volume and then power off too correct? Could get direct voice control from Google home then as well.  Anybody actually do this?

I guess there would be no way to do multiple streams with more than one unless I was casting from different devices though?

15 hours ago, alanchow said:

This is the solution for those who want a multiroom amp in the future.

https://vssl.com/

The problem with this is that it relies on your phone, tablet, or computer.  Most people will naturally just use their phone because it's on them, which will in turn cause frustration when the phone rings and music stops.

1 hour ago, lippavisual said:

The problem with this is that it relies on your phone, tablet, or computer.  Most people will naturally just use their phone because it's on them, which will in turn cause frustration when the phone rings and music stops.

That's not how google cast works.  You can close the app once it's started after you have begun casting.

i think Spotify connect does the same as well but not 100% sure.

its only airplay that relies on your phone being the player.

If only there was some sort of a network driver so you could launch it from Navigator instead of your phone.  $30/zone would kind of kill Sonos/heos type companies?

Can you group chromecasts via your phone or would you do that through C4?  Also unless you have another device or switch to another service you wouldn't be able to pull up a different stream?

Sonos 'wins' in that you can store favorites still for selection in C4 navs, or for programming purposes. It also gives feedback and you can autostarts. And yes, it doesn't use your wireless or stops if your phone rings.

Shairbridge has two of those advantages as well (feed back, autostart) as well as the ability to have dedicated drivers for people to use (ie Mom's Airplay, Dad's ariplay or Living room Airplay, Kitchen Airplay) - and of course is 'free'.

Cast, like Sonos, doesn't 'fail' when your phone rings, nor does it rely on/use your wireless once started. Now if Alan is hinting at making a driver for the piece he likned for auto start and feedback.........

Archived