C4 Forums | Control4

C4 and Slingbox

eggzlot

So for a few reasons I am toying around with adding a slingbox.  Looking at the setup instructions it appears the slingbox needs to cover the IR port on the cable box with an IR blaster?  I have a Video Storm Netplay IP matrix, so I already have an IR blaster covering the cable box IR port.

I see articles from 2009 about CytexOne building a free Sling driver - would this help my situation?  I dont need Sling "in" Control4, just wondering how two IR Blasters can work side by side.

Am I over thinking things?  Anyone have any input or suggestions?

So for a few reasons I am toying around with adding a slingbox.  Looking at the setup instructions it appears the slingbox needs to cover the IR port on the cable box with an IR blaster?  I have a Video Storm Netplay IP matrix, so I already have an IR blaster covering the cable box IR port.

I see articles from 2009 about CytexOne building a free Sling driver - would this help my situation?  I dont need Sling "in" Control4, just wondering how two IR Blasters can work side by side.

Am I over thinking things?  Anyone have any input or suggestions?

In this instance, the sling box usually comes with an ir blaster. As for control4 it uses a ir bud stuck directly to the device. If the sling box blaster can be placed in front of the device, it should pass its signal through the control4 one and into the device. As long as the control4 bud is not covered with anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interestingly enough, the one and only time I installed a Slingbox, despite having the emitter on the cable box I noticed it wasn't actually controlling the cable box after going through the setup process yet the Slingbox webpage was still able to view the tv channels, go through the guide, etc. I never investigated further and it's been running like that for about 3 years.

Ah blaster v bud.  That now makes sense. Great description. Very helpful thanks!

You are welcome.

Another thought is to use control4 to control the device you are viewing through sling box. If needed that is. I would create a fake room called sling box. Setup a fake television and the desired device. Then after making connections and refresh navigators, you should be able to "watch" device and control it. Then use your sling box app or device to view the sling box's source and control it via control4.

Is the purpose of the sling box for remote purposes, or a way to watch a device wirelessly in your home?

If the former, then the control4 idea will only work if you subscribe to 4sight.

2 hours ago, VINCELdUB said:

You are welcome.

Another thought is to use control4 to control the device you are viewing through sling box. If needed that is. I would create a fake room called sling box. Setup a fake television and the desired device. Then after making connections and refresh navigators, you should be able to "watch" device and control it. Then use your sling box app or device to view the sling box's source and control it via control4.

Is the purpose of the sling box for remote purposes, or a way to watch a device wirelessly in your home?

If the former, then the control4 idea will only work if you subscribe to 4sight.

sounds crazy, but just looking to schedule DVR recordings when not at home.  being able to watch something when traveling is a bonus too.  long story short, once I put Fios into my house my network went completely haywire.  So I am trying to remove their modem/router from handling DHCP and using my old router but its a mess.  needless to say, right now I am fairly stable, internet works, devices work, the guide works, video on demand menu works (havent ordered anything yet) but the apps dont work to access the box remotely to watch some content (not all is allowed) and to schedule recordings on the DVR.  I can continue to tinker and drive myself insane (last time I was up til 3am) or I can just buy an M2 for $99, hook it up and be back to normal with some extra functionality too.

That type of networking issue I have resolved a few times now. With Telus Optik tv.

Used a separate DSL modem connected in parallel on DSL line and connected it to my own network. Then, using the Telus provided modem/router I was able to configure all of the original functionality it was intended for. Remote, DVR programming, etc.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

I Tried option 8.  I am fairly sure I know of 1-2 areas I may need to tweak to work.  But I am afraid of spending another 7-10 hours messing around, losing sleep, having an upset wife, etc.  Plus the Sling will give me some added benefits.  I travel for work and getting access to some channels I get at home and not in hotels would be nice - like the Big Ten Channel so I can watch some college games when I travel.  For $99 I think it may be worth my time and aggravation,  

I agree. Also, I would recommend investing in a roku stick for sling box channel it has. This will allow you to plug it into any HDMI tv and connect to wifi and you have your sling on he tv in Hotel. Minimal configuration. And portable.

1 minute ago, VINCELdUB said:

I agree. Also, I would recommend investing in a roku stick for sling box channel it has. This will allow you to plug it into any HDMI tv and connect to wifi and you have your sling on he tv in Hotel. Minimal configuration. And portable.

good idea and ill look into it.  what about hotels with wifi that you need to visit a website, enter in your hotel frequent user member ID and password or the hotel's password, etc.  wouldnt that be hard to connect to on a roku or firetv?   plus some hotels make it so darn hard to get near an HDMI port, but for a few bux its worth tossing in the suitcase just in case.  worst case I can use a tablet for viewing

Archived