C4 Forums | Control4

Baluns, 4k, Audio, XBox One, Oh my

Elvis

1 hour ago, knowitall said:

TV optical out will not get you Dolby Digital 

Optical Out.jpg

This is from the Sony manual. The Panasonic tells me whatever it gets via HDMI goes out the optical out. This is confirmed by the receiver which switches to match what it receives.

You guys sound like you know different.

This is a lot harder nut to crack than I expected.

Optical Out.jpg

I don't know why this in here twice. I can't delete it.

Just now, knowitall said:

XBR

Yes, XBR-65X850D and Panasonic GT50.

I'm just going to test it. My pioneer receiver will tell me what it is receiving on the digital audio in. I'll hook the XBox to the TV via HDMI and then go Optical Out of each TV to the receiver. Then I'll slap in a DTS, Dolby Digital, and a few other DVDs and see what the receiver tells me.

Or I'm going to convince the wife to let me put the the rack on the same wall as the TVs, which are back to back on a common wall... and just avoid this nonsense. I'm sure having a  35u rack in the bedroom will do a lot for, well I won't go there.

6 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

What is the room in questions speaker configuration.

5.0 and 5.1

"Why don't you avoid all this and put it in the wall between the two rooms? Right next to both TVs?" She says this as she leaves to get wings and beer for the game. I'm not making this up. Wow.

1 hour ago, Elvis said:

"Why don't you avoid all this and put it in the wall between the two rooms? Right next to both TVs?" She says this as she leaves to get wings and beer for the game. I'm not making this up. Wow.

LOL. Just wait for the return favour to be asked ;)

8 hours ago, Elvis said:

Optical Out.jpg

This is from the Sony manual. The Panasonic tells me whatever it gets via HDMI goes out the optical out. This is confirmed by the receiver which switches to match what it receives.

You guys sound like you know different.

This is a lot harder nut to crack than I expected.

Optical Out.jpg

I don't know why this in here twice. I can't delete it.

The Dolby Digital output is only when using OTA. If using HDMI, it will output PCM. On most TVs at least. There are models that output  DD thought HDMI though!

Archived