Ring Events Driver for Control4 ?

seth_j

xbEL.png

For Immediate Release

For More Information:
Kevin Luther, BlackWire Designs & Technology LLC
kevin@blackwiredesigns.com

Distributor Offers Missing Integration Between Ring and Control4 Systems

PHOENIX, ARIZONA — Friday, December 30, 2016 — BlackWire is pleased to introduce the Ring Events Driver for Control4 home automation systems. With this driver integrators will be able to use push button and motion events from the Ring Doorbell or Ring Pro Doorbell and integrate them into their Control4 projects. The direct integration with Ring allows the driver to be much faster than other solutions that rely on 3rd party services like IFTTT and more reliable than doorbell sensing hardware that can be overly sensitive to power fluctuations and other external conditions. 

Using these events dealers can program additional actions and events to take place through the Control4 system. For example if the Ring Doorbell senses motion the Control4 system could activate a lighting scene or begin playing a playlist to emulate someone is in the house. The doorbell press event can be used to play a custom ringtone through the home audio system or activate outdoor lighting to provide a greater level of security.

“We’re committed to developing and delivering the tools our dealers need to be successful in today’s changing market,” said Kevin Luther, President at BlackWire. “BlackWire is the only distributor out there offering after hours and weekend support for their dealers and investing in software solutions so dealers don’t have to figure out how things work on the job site. We make the success of the project our job.” Luther says motion event support for Ring Stick Up Cameras is coming soon and direct video support may be developed soon with further collaboration with Ring.

The driver is now available to dealers on BlackWire’s online store (www.blackwiredesigns.com) and can be bundled for free with any Ring Doorbell purchased from BlackWire.

###
About BlackWire Designs
BlackWire Designs and Technology LLC is a one of a kind distributor for the Custom Installation industry based in Phoenix, Arizona that provides exceptional sales and systems support to dealer across the world. BlackWire uses integrated software to ensure dealers get the proper support they need, when they need it — including after hours. 

Ring Events Driver for Control4

BlackWire Designs is pleased to announce the Ring Events Driver for Control4 systems. With this driver, Control4 dealers will be able to program events based on the doorbell press and motion detection features built into the Ring Doorbell and the Ring Pro Doorbell.

Features

- Ability to use button pressed events as triggers for custom programming in Control4
- Ability to use motion detection events as triggers for custom programming in Control4
- Fast notification time (about the same as the Ring app)
- Simple to install and easy to program

FAQ

Does this driver support video?

No, it does not. Just events like motion detecting and button pushes.

Does this driver support video?

Nope. Not yet but we are working closely with Ring to make this happen in the future. This driver will give you integration options with the product that didn't exist yesterday which is pretty great.

What are some good examples of how this driver could be used?

When the button event is detected, you can play a custom MP3 chime through the home's speakers. You also have the ability to turn on a light when motion is detected at your front door.

Will Ring Stick Up Cameras work with this driver?

We've been working on the doorbell, but we don't see any reason these won't be supported in the near future. 

Sold! How do I buy this awesome driver?!? ?

If you're a BlackWire Dealer check out our post on Control4 Dealer Forums or head on over to our website

Important Links
Ring Events Control4 Driver
Ring Doorbells and Accessories

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Needs the video for me 

We've heard that.. We did a survey with all the beta and the majority of people prefer to use the working Ring app which does video just fine. I know that's what I prefer but getting the integration of events into Control4 is huge. Video clearly falls in the would be nice category but not the end of the world for most. Personally the Ring app and experience is better than the Control4 app to me. 

That said we're working with Ring and hopefully will be able to add something cool later on in the future. 

3 hours ago, pkkaiser said:

how much?

You'll want to talk to your dealer about that. If your dealer buys the doorbells through us the price for the driver is included in the purchase of the Ring hardware. We do have pricing for people who buy elsewhere and it is minimal. Of course this driver does require programming and configuration which your dealer would probably charge for. Long story short... ask your dealer. :)

Is it programmable in Composer HE? When using existing doorbell wiring does it ring the chime? Also, can the camera be tilted up, down, etc..?

Driver needs to be added in Pro but can be programmed in he. Yes it does ring the chime. Camera is fixed

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Really wish they had a do not disturb feature. I know I can turn off the chime it's just a pain buried in the settings.

Also interesting how much of a pause there is from button press to the wires chime actually ringing. Delay is maybe 1-2 seconds.

But loving my ring and the driver.

12 hours ago, cdepaola said:

Really wish they had a do not disturb feature. I know I can turn off the chime it's just a pain buried in the settings.

Also interesting how much of a pause there is from button press to the wires chime actually ringing. Delay is maybe 1-2 seconds.

But loving my ring and the driver.

This happens to me sometimes too.. 1-2 seconds.. sometimes its instant.. I'm really not sure what the cause is. Networking/cloud maybe? Who knows.

• 3 weeks later...

Have had this now for almost a month and can say I love the c4 driver and the ring app. combined these have been so much more effective and responsive in finding out who is at the door. I have even been contemplating replace my wired cameras for stick up just due to the ease of use that the ring app provides. I just wish there was an option for 24/7 recording.

Have had this now for almost a month and can say I love the c4 driver and the ring app. combined these have been so much more effective and responsive in finding out who is at the door. I have even been contemplating replace my wired cameras for stick up just due to the ease of use that the ring app provides. I just wish there was an option for 24/7 recording.

Have you looked at the supported cameras by Blue Iris software? This may be an option for NVr recording of the stick up cameras.

Happy Automating!

• 2 months later...
On 1/27/2017 at 8:03 PM, VINCELdUB said:

Have you looked at the supported cameras by Blue Iris software? This may be an option for NVr recording of the stick up cameras.

Happy Automating!

I have started looking into it but just need to workout how to make my PC a little more efficient got nearly 1000 watts of components running that 24/7 can be expensive.

• 1 month later...

Anyone else having problem with this driver losing connection with Ring?  I have to reenter my same password every few days in composer to keep the driver running.  I updated from 1.3 to 1.5 with no improvement?  I have it running at 2 sites with duplicate issue.  Customer is understanding at the moment but its a pain to remote access into their systems every few days to reenter their same passwords.

We are switching to a new authentication method that ring asked us to use. A new driver will be released this week. It has been a huge work in progress.. The new authentication method is a serious under taking and will result in some amazing new features ;) features everyone wants...... 

We started getting reports on this late last week but we're already working on a new server for the authentication. :(

Sorry we're working on it and some other cool features. If I have some time to look into it and work up a patch I will. 

Archived