C4 Forums | Control4

Alexa is being a stubborn b****

So, I have 4 dots now, and they are awesome and working perfect. So I had the idea to buy my boss one for xmas. 
I was adding it into C4 while installers were doing lights. It was setup and working, but all the lights hadn't been identified yet. So once it was set up, found a good placement for it, and knew it was good to go, I removed all of the devices as they weren't named correctly yet. 

So fast forward to now. Everything is installed, C4 is working great, it is all updated and now when i click "Discover Devices" at alexa.amazon.com .... NOTHING

So here is what I have tried. 

1. Reset the unit - doesn't matter. Seems to have nothing to do with the actual dot. It seems to be all account based. 

2. I have removed the skill completely. Re-added it nearly 50 times now (no, I am not exaggerating). 

3. I have changed devices at customer.control4.com as per another thread on here where people said that worked for them. Then after doing so, I have removed the skill and re-added it (reauthenticated it) and still.... nothing. 

4. I have changed the names of lights, changed names of lighting scenes, and changed / added voice scenes. (Also another thread on here said that worked for a lot of people having this issue).

5. I have reset the controller - refreshed navigators after name changes, and I have made sure it checked in. 

6. i have waited over 24 hours as some people said they just tried later and it worked fine. 

7. I have made sure his C4 was not doing any updates. I did read that no outbound connections on the API can be done while the controller is doing updates. I dont think this is true, but tried either way. 

Here is some more info

He is running an HC250. We checked resources, it is no where near being taxed even though I feel he should be on an 800 at least. 

He is running 2.9.2 or whatever the latest is. This is a new C4 install. 

When I go to his customer account, C4 says " Unable to retrieve data from Alexa. Please try again later. " Under the alexa menu.

When I go to alexa and press "discover devices" it does it's thing, saying it will take 20 seconds, then it just shows "You haven't connected any devices yet"

I would love any insight that anyone may have! Thanks in advance guys!!

Jamie

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

Sounds to me like the 250 is too overloaded

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I definitely had that concern, but we are looking at it's resources and it isn't even half maxed. 

5 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Check is Amazon account, is it US or Canada ?

We could get the skill on one device, however would not add anything because we had a UK account.

It is Canadian but that isn't it. I know of 7 people running Alexa, all in Canada, all without issue. Mine is running perfectly at the house. Updates instantly. It has to be something with this account. It WAS all synced up. It was when I pressed the button to forget and relearn that it f'd up.

4 minutes ago, Gix656 said:

Try creating a voice scene, doesn't have to actually do anything. I found Alexa needed a new device added for some reason sometimes.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I did that. Mentioned it above :)

Does anyone know if you can update devices when you are NOT on the same network?
Or do you HAVE to be on the same network?

Right now, I keep trying remotely. I am assuming using webservices it doesn't matter. 

Does anyone know if you can update devices when you are NOT on the same network?

Or do you HAVE to be on the same network?

Right now, I keep trying remotely. I am assuming using webservices it doesn't matter. 

You can update remotely

25 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

but not having it work points back to something going on that is taxing the controller too much.  

Yeah, I know. I have / had the same thought. I still think there is no way that 250 can keep up BUT... Resources aren't even close to taxed. It's not even running at half. 

Yeah, I know. I have / had the same thought. I still think there is no way that 250 can keep up BUT... Resources aren't even close to taxed. It's not even running at half. 

But what is director process doing?

Like specific commands? It's really not doing much. It controls 3 TV's, ties in with an old elan audio, 36 lights (mostly not scene control). No major API tie ins other than Sonos that is rarely used, no media stored in c4. 

Like specific commands? It's really not doing much. It controls 3 TV's, ties in with an old elan audio, 36 lights (mostly not scene control). No major API tie ins other than Sonos that is rarely used, no media stored in c4. 

No when you ssh in and look at top how much % is director service using.

1 hour ago, Brownbatsbreath said:

Have you tried to forget all devices from the Alexa app?

Yes, that's what caused this. Forgetting all devices as the names were changed while adding keypads. Now, none will come back. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/31/2016 at 11:06 PM, badjesus said:

Yes, that's what caused this. Forgetting all devices as the names were changed while adding keypads. Now, none will come back. 

Ever figure it out by any chance?  I've been going back and forth with my programmer, amazon, etc with the same issue.  Never discovers devices.  They went offline one day, I removed them, never came back.  At first I thought it was 2.9.1 but I realized I was still on 2.9.0 at the time.

Amazon claims an issue on their end, but I figure I'd hear more about that

I have had this same issue ever since release of the Alexa Driver.  I run 4x HC800 in my project so it shouldn't be a resource issue.  I wonder if it has something to do with the VPN that 4sight uses.  Regardless I can get it to work sporadically (discovers 1/30 tries) but its not reliable enough to actually use.

Are you using a Ubiquity Router or AP by chance? For some reason when I had my UBNT stuff Alexa didnt work. Switch back to my old Dark Knight and it works, moved to my Luxul stuff it works, put the UBNT in and it stopped again. So for now, for a few reasons I am sticking with my Luxul....

Archived