C4 Forums | Control4

Alexa is being a stubborn b****

The specific house for this issue isn't running ubiquity, it's running open mesh. I also use open mesh right now though and all 4 of my dots are flawless. 

His controller was just upgraded to an hc800 that we still had new in box so I am hoping it was a load issue on the hc250 even if it didn't seem like it when checking resources. 

If that doesn't work, I am going to try a new Amazon account. 

I will post back next week when we get a chance to test those two things. 

18 hours ago, James_R3V said:

Ever figure it out by any chance?  I've been going back and forth with my programmer, amazon, etc with the same issue.  Never discovers devices.  They went offline one day, I removed them, never came back.  At first I thought it was 2.9.1 but I realized I was still on 2.9.0 at the time.

Amazon claims an issue on their end, but I figure I'd hear more about that

I would try a new Amazon account. I can't help but think it is an Amazon glitch. Their consumer products from a software perspective are all crap. Amazon Cloud is a giant piece. 

Just set up a temp account and see if that resolves it. At least you can rule out the Amazon side of it. I'm going to be doing this next week if the new hc800 isn't the resolve. 

42 minutes ago, badjesus said:

The specific house for this issue isn't running ubiquity,

Not saying there are three reports for ubiquity and Alexa - but three different things that seem to have a lot of issue using ubiquity - Alexa, Doorbird (or Doorbird plus C4, or the driver?) and a brand of Cameras that don't play nice (can't recall which brand at the moment, too lazy to look it up).

Note that I'm not saying Ubiquity is crap, or even the underlying cause - just that it's curious that in the last, maybe 2?, months these three popped up. Makes me wonder is all.

Run full ubiquity Unifi system, beta, of USG Pro4, switch, and WAP's. Alexa works just fine

Now if your running Edge router I could see that being an issue as it far more difficult to set up properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, cdepaola said:

Run full ubiquity Unifi system, beta, of USG Pro4, switch, and WAP's. Alexa works just fine

Now if your running Edge router I could see that being an issue as it far more difficult to set up properly

Yet I've heard of issues just running switches and APs. Again, I'm not judging at all - too limited information to begin with - but I'd like to find out as we've been looking into possibly using (more) of it after getting a better local supplier.

Hey Cyknight. I can supply you openmesh locally if you are interested. I can supply ubiquity also but their margins suck. (So does their product for the price)

Ha! You either love ubiquity or hate it, there doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

2 hours ago, cdepaola said:

Ha! You either love ubiquity or hate it, there doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

I used to love it. Till I got access as a supplier and saw margin. (Bad reason to hate a product I know, so this didn't make me stop supporting it). So I still supported it till over the last year competitive devices are more stable at half the cost! 

We did a test in a massive C4 and geek system with ubiquity AC's and Open Mesh AC's. There was actually better performance monitoring and ease of set up on open mesh, and half the cost. 

There are posts from me on here saying ubiquity is the only way to go, and that was truthful at the time. Now... They can go in the garbage. 

2 minutes ago, cdepaola said:

I'm not seeing them at half the cost, I'm seeing very similar costs and in some cases more expensive.

I am in Canada. :)

Once across the boarder, completely different story. 

Just lost Alexa and C4 on our system, all we get is check network from Alexa. 

Will only discover my Hue Lights, Programming by Epic Driver - C4 system is not responding. 

Deleted all the C4 Commands from Alex, Changed the names of lights in MYCONTROL4,

However it did work for a couple of weeks and was good.

Looks like Amazon and Google will win the HA war !!

• 3 weeks later...

After our internet service was down for a day I had the same problem with Alexa not discovering any devices.  Tried just about everything you guys did, then saw Gary's post and rebooted the controller and that fixed it.  Thanks Gary!

Archived