C4 Forums | Control4

Advanced Announcement Driver

pfissure

I have a few things I would like to add to my system related to announcements and the Chowmain Advanced Announcements Driver looks like a good fit.  I have a question:  The documentation says that it can pull audio files from the web, thus circumventing the 10MB hard limit in Control4.  My question is whether "the web" includes local NAS storage?  If not, what protocol is used exactly to obtain audio files for announcements.\?

It performs a HTTP get for any web accessible wav file.

it also uses several integrate text to speech services to dynamically generate announcements. Great for getting information to you verbally over your speakers (eg weather report)

This is a great driver.  One of my favorite Chowmain drivers.

It would be perfect if it could use TTS speech to send to Alexa to speak or if there was a way to enter text for TTS remotely/dynamically.  

One of my wife's favorite uses is a custom button she can press at work that triggers an announcement that speaks the current tine and tells me to check my text messages.  I would like to have her record a message using her cell phone and then triggering an announcement once the audio file is uploaded, but that's still down a ways on my todo list.

(I have a button marked "Fun" on a keypad.  One of the things it does is to play an announcement that says "Alexa, what is the Prime Directive?"  People get a kick out of my house asking itself a question and getting an answer).

I'll have to play around with having the house ask google a question...that's hilarious.

With Google Home you could easily have it play back a message. I've been planning to purchase this driver to make what is essentially a one way intercom to my kids.

"Hey Google, please tell the kids $", where $ is whatever you want the variable to be. It would then dynamically make that announcement using IFTTT. You could tell the kids "it's time for dinner", "we need to leave in 5 minutes", "brush your teeth and get ready for bed", etc... Just have it play the announcement in their bedrooms and the common areas down in the basement where they hang out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My issue would be getting the variable text passed remotely.  My wife wants to be able to send me a message when she is at work that plays over speakers in various zones.  The only so,union I could think of was to have her record an audio file, upload it to the web and have the advanced announcement driver play it.  What I would rather have is a way for her to input the message text remotely and have a TTS conversion done to generate the announcement.

1 hour ago, jfh said:

My issue would be getting the variable text passed remotely.  My wife wants to be able to send me a message when she is at work that plays over speakers in various zones.  The only so,union I could think of was to have her record an audio file, upload it to the web and have the advanced announcement driver play it.  What I would rather have is a way for her to input the message text remotely and have a TTS conversion done to generate the announcement.

Just brainstorming here:  my first thought was IFTTT with Google voice.  But I don't see google voice as a trigger for IFTTT.  But as I was searching IFTTT I found this:

https://ifttt.com/roger

I have never heard of Roger but it appears to be a voice messaging service and it is a trigger for IFTTT with applets such as "save a voice note to dropbox", and "share your voice on Facebook" and (most intriguingly) "Im Coming Home!"

I cannot test this since I don't have the announcements driver installed (yet) but I would really appreciate if anyone who does could look into this.  This is exactly the kind of application I was originally wondering about.  Thanks to both of you for following up.

I've got an idea...let me see if I can make it work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived