C4 Forums | Control4

Alexa - Location Aware?

So, the Echo dots etc are named according to their location right, each one called kitchen, living room or whatever. Can this be passed as a variable into the programming at all? The ultimate requirement here is fairly obvious.. "Alexa trigger lights on" instead of "Alexa trigger kitchen lights on"

Just now, Stuart England said:

So, the Echo dots etc are named according to their location right, each one called kitchen, living room or whatever. Can this be passed as a variable into the programming at all? The ultimate requirement here is fairly obvious.. "Alexa trigger lights on" instead of "Alexa trigger kitchen lights on"

nope

14 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

i just use the room name lights 

family oks it

kitchen lights on 

family lights on

bedroom lights on

so and so forth

right but it is a valid criticism - it's not location aware

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just noticed on the Alexa developer forum that this has been a hot issue since the first Echo devices were introduced which is almost two years ago.  For some reason Amazon is taking a long time to deal with this issue.

• 8 months later...
25 minutes ago, RobbieF said:

I hope so...  I'm doing a renovation next year, and would love to put voice control in every room - but it will need this functionality to be useful.  

I’m with you. I have set all my programming up with this in mind but currently use a mixture between schedules, motion sensor results and an extra voice command to determine what room I’m in when I tell my good friend (Alexa) to do something...

As soon as she becomes self aware (location sensitive),I just need to delete my current lines of code which try to guess what room I’m talking from and add code that converts Alexa’s location (however this is provided) to my standard (AlexaRoom - 1 is bedroom, 2 is lounge etc.).

I've read of your (@South Africa C4)  ingenious work arounds, and yes, it's impressive what you've been able to achieve with logic.  But the programing required to get this "right", is maybe too much hard work for me....  I'm holding thumbs the it will "Just Work"  by this time next year when I've installed everything :)

How Many Alexa's have you setup?  And if using Echo Dots, are you piping the speaker out to an Audio Matrix?

13 hours ago, RobbieF said:

How Many Alexa's have you setup?  And if using Echo Dots, are you piping the speaker out to an Audio Matrix?

Ive got 7 Alexa’s active at present. 6 dots and an Echo. However, I only use the, for voice control not for playing music per se. Although they do control the playing of various playlists (centralized in a mixture between Apple Music and a NAS library) via IFTTT triggers.

I am (finally) 2 months in to building a beach house so am also hoping everything just works this time next year as the idea of programming (and fiddling) work arounds for another system (which I will probably only use once a month anyway) is not very appealing!

At the Dot location, the Cat 5 plugs into a proprietary balun that breaks out into a USB connector for power in, and a headphone jack for audio out.

This is really the key....and a super easy key to make. All they are doing is powering the Dots with POE and piping the aux out back to a single zone amp.  Pretty easy to replicate.  OK, I'll give them the mounting brackets too.  But again, not rocket science.

Archived