C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Card Access garage door opens half way

stevenj

Question

My service guy out to fix an audio problem(which he didn't fix), wiped out the MAC address on my Card Access/Control 4 garage door opener, when he put it back in the door only opens half way when I use the Control4 opener.  When I activate the garage door from either of the cars or the button that came with the unit it opens all the way up.  My service guy can't figure it out...called Control 4 and they only talk to service providers so I'm pretty much out of luck with any traditional support.  Anybody out there know how to fix it?

PS.  My service guy usually breaks one thing when he fixes another and you end up in an endless do-loop of service calls to fix anything until finally you just give up.  Anybody have better experience...or is this the norm for C4?

13 answers to this question

I wouldn't say 'is this the norm for C4', if your service provider is not a certified programmer.  Also, you will probably get a better response on this forum from many of us who are qualified to answer your question, then comparing us to the idiot that broke your garage.  Good Luck. 

First time I've tried the forum...wasn't comparing anyone on it to my service tech who is a nice guy, but can't seem to get this fixed.  I am pretty disappointed with my C4 system in terms of reliability but think it might be I've got the wrong service team....will try another.  That said any idea on my garage door problem?

I also feel I could fix a lot of this stuff myself if Control 4 had a different business model and offered tech support and simple troubleshooting to their end customers rather than just their dealers.  I think it's a flawed business model.

I'll look at it with composer HE.  When I tried to enter the MAC address myself it wouldn't let me...was grayed out so I assumed it would't let anybody but the dealer change things re the Card Access relay.  I agree it doesn't make sense that the other openers work fine and it's just Control4 that stops.  Maybe getting a double command, or key bounce type issue.  Will look at it...thanks.

Just now, stevenj said:

I'll look at it with composer HE.  When I tried to enter the MAC address myself it wouldn't let me...was grayed out so I assumed it would't let anybody but the dealer change things re the Card Access relay.  I agree it doesn't make sense that the other openers work fine and it's just Control4 that stops.  Maybe getting a double command, or key bounce type issue.  Will look at it...thanks.

How are you trying to add teh MAC address? You need to identify it and you need composer pro to identify it.

2 minutes ago, stevenj said:

Thanks, I only have Composer HE not Composer Pro....can you buy Composer Pro as a system owner, or do you need to be a registered dealer?

Only dealers can do Composer Pro.  Look on the forum for a "remote dealers".  These guys can help you over the phone + connected to your system to get the device re-identified.  It's a pretty simple button tap process while on the phone (in coordination).  Assuming you are confident enough to take direction, which I think you are, this could be a great option for you.

1 minute ago, stevenj said:

Thanks, msgreenf that is a great idea and would be a lot faster than scheduling service calls.  Can you recommend a good "remote dealer"?

I rather not - but I will say I have heard nothing be great things about all the remote guys on the forum

if you are activating this with the door button and the car door openers that are unrelated it may not be a control problem.

try disconnecting the relay wires from control4.

then attempt to open the door.

if still same issues its the garage door thats the problem.

if it works just fine looks like there is some rogue programming let me know if you need any help.

1 hour ago, stevenj said:

Thanks, msgreenf that is a great idea and would be a lot faster than scheduling service calls.  Can you recommend a good "remote dealer"?

if you are looking for a remote dealer I have had great dealings with Andrzej (forum user name AK1) who does remote work.

http://www.c4forums.com/topic/14742-remote-programming-etc-for-you-diy-guys/

Archived