C4 Forums | Control4

Music for a PC

wiredup1

Is there any drivers that allow you to sync with a music folder on a PC and the play that music through the EA controller?

Client doesn't have a NAS drive but would like to play music from there computer without having to plug in a USB stick or hard drive into the EA.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Syncing a folder direct - don't go down that road of pain and misery.

However - there is a perfectly good iTunes driver you could use (you'll need to add something like an airport express unless you can get a direct connection fromt he PC). Not great mind you as it limits to one 'stream' at a time.

But if that fits the bill fine - it does work and work well.

What's wrong with leaving the USB plugged into the EA controller? Storage is cheap now so just do it

Convenience is the main one...it's in a rack in the mechanical room.... plus figured there was a better way than USB in 2017

36 minutes ago, wiredup1 said:

Convenience is the main one...it's in a rack in the mechanical room.... plus figured there was a better way than USB in 2017 emoji6.png

USB can be accessed via file share once it is plugged in \\ipofcontroller\media\usb\devicename

Yes, accessing the USB via explorer is the best option in your case. Very simple to update files. Would recommend putting in a custom button to scan music folder whenever you need to.

Happy Automating!

Great, thanks for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...

What is the easiest way to find the "device name"?

I also got a this clients hard drive connected and scanned all the music. It shows up fine and with cover art but is there a way to shuffle or play all? It seems as though you can select individual songs from albums but no play all?

9 hours ago, zaphod said:

Why even bother with hard drives when USB flash drives are so cheap - 128GB should be plenty for almost everyone and they can be had for around $25.

I just host all my music, movies, and TV shows off one server. I run Plex for video, and point to a network share for music.

Additionally, it's a pain to have to physically move the USB stick in order to transfer media. A NAS is always accessible anywhere on my network.

That USB stick attached to your controller is also easily accessible through the network.  No need to remove.

Yes, I've heard you can do this. Do you know how to do it properly?

Thanks in advance

Archived