C4 Forums | Control4

Plex server on a apple tv with C4

Did any of you try to run plex on a apple tv and control it via control4 ? All my movie are on my WD nas and i would like if possible to add a apple tv running plex. Is the allan chow driver will be good for that and integrate it with control4 ? Like a media player ?

The _server_ on an Apple TV?  I don't think that is possible...but there is the Plex Cloud server option...and yes I think Alan's driver will work with almost anything that Plex runs on.  Not sure though, as I am just getting into Plex.

4 hours ago, Cyknight said:

This times 100

If I multiply that by 100 more recommendations, will we break the internet? :D

Seriously though. I've heard so many complaints about buttons not working on the Plex app for Apple TV. I've been using Roku for years and never had issues.

2 hours ago, funnyfarm299 said:

If I multiply that by 100 more recommendations, will we break the internet? :D

Seriously though. I've heard so many complaints about buttons not working on the Plex app for Apple TV. I've been using Roku for years and never had issues.

Not until we divide it by zero ATVs being used (for functions other than the native ATV control ) :D

We're a Mac household, largely because I'm an iOS dev.  I got 2 free ATV4 beta units from Apple and I bought a third.  My family has been pretty happy with them, and thanks to the C4 Apple TV IP driver, we can use the C4 remotes with the ATV, so the minor hassle of bringing up Plex isn't a huge inconvenience.  I've have some Roku units as well.  I may put the Roku in the theater later and move the other Apple TV to the living room at some point, just so we can get a more integrated "theater experience" in the theater.

I'd definitely like to see the ability to open directly into apps in a future OS update, though, although it doesn't seem like a good idea for Apple.  They want everyone to see the central ecosystem as the value.

Archived