C4 Forums | Control4

Keypad LED/HVAC

abovedeck

Question

Before I hand this off to a dealer, I thought I'd ask here.  I love learning how to do this stuff myself.

I have the weather station installed and the city/neighborhood set to where my home.  I have two KD120 keypads that I want this corresponding to.  My goal is this:

When temperatures are at or below a certain temp, I want the LED for the "A/C" button to light up a yellow (like the sun), and when pushed, I want it to automatically set the thermostat to "HEAT MODE" and the heat set point to be 73.  I want the LED color to then be RED.  To do this, I set up a macro for "heat." I want to do the same thing for when the temperature is above or equal to another number, but this time, activating "COOL MODE" and instead of the LED being red, I want it a BLUE.  When the A/C system is OFF, but the temperature outside warrants cool mode, I want the LED next to A/C to light up GREEN.  So far, I have done most of this correctly (meaning it works, although, until it's hot outside, I really won't know, right?).

The issue I am having now is that the LED color for the buttons when the thermostat is activated via navigator, tablet, etc are not changing.  Part of my programming is based on "Pressing" the button, but I've gone in to HVAC settings and tried to change "SET LED CURRENT" to different colors based on "WHEN HVAC STATE CHANGES" etc. and this does not seem to be working.  I've attached screenshots of my programming. 

I should add that my thermostat is connected via a Vera so not sure if this has anything to do with the issue.  Some have told me that becuase it's not a native C4 device, my EA5 does not actually know the devices "current state."

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 5.40.59 PM.png

Then I set up the exact same macro but for "cool."

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 5.41.50 PM.png

So all of this works, great.  I should mention that I have another KD120 keypad so I programmed the "AC" button to simply "press" the "AC" key in my laundry room.

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 5.43.14 PM.png

I have tried doing similar programming for "WHEN HVAC MODE IS CHANGED" or HVAC STATE CHANGE" for the "ON" LED state, but I cannot get the LEDs to illuminate/change colors when my thermostat is turned on in a way other than a key press.

What am I doing wrong?  Or is this really not possible? 

13 answers to this question

Before I hand this off to a dealer, I thought I'd ask here.  I love learning how to do this stuff myself.

I have the weather station installed and the city/neighborhood set to where my home.  I have two KD120 keypads that I want this corresponding to.  My goal is this:

When temperatures are at or below a certain temp, I want the LED for the "A/C" button to light up a yellow (like the sun), and when pushed, I want it to automatically set the thermostat to "HEAT MODE" and the heat set point to be 73.  I want the LED color to then be RED.  To do this, I set up a macro for "heat." I want to do the same thing for when the temperature is above or equal to another number, but this time, activating "COOL MODE" and instead of the LED being red, I want it a BLUE.  When the A/C system is OFF, but the temperature outside warrants cool mode, I want the LED next to A/C to light up GREEN.  So far, I have done most of this correctly (meaning it works, although, until it's hot outside, I really won't know, right?).

The issue I am having now is that the LED color for the buttons when the thermostat is activated via navigator, tablet, etc are not changing.  Part of my programming is based on "Pressing" the button, but I've gone in to HVAC settings and tried to change "SET LED CURRENT" to different colors based on "WHEN HVAC STATE CHANGES" etc. and this does not seem to be working.  I've attached screenshots of my programming. 

I should add that my thermostat is connected via a Vera so not sure if this has anything to do with the issue.  Some have told me that becuase it's not a native C4 device, my EA5 does not actually know the devices "current state."

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 5.40.59 PM.png

Then I set up the exact same macro but for "cool."

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 5.41.50 PM.png

So all of this works, great.  I should mention that I have another KD120 keypad so I programmed the "AC" button to simply "press" the "AC" key in my laundry room.

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 5.43.14 PM.png

I have tried doing similar programming for "WHEN HVAC MODE IS CHANGED" or HVAC STATE CHANGE" for the "ON" LED state, but I cannot get the LEDs to illuminate/change colors when my thermostat is turned on in a way other than a key press.

What am I doing wrong?  Or is this really not possible? 

At first look, your conditions, the ones with the question marks, don't have the commands under them. Drag your commands over top the question marks to make them execute with the condition is correct.

Just now, Axis24 said:

Let me know if that doesn't work and I will have a second look.

The funny thing is even without the indentations, what I programmed above works (at least the heat part).  What's not screenshot above is what I actually need help programming, and that's LEDs when the HVAC is turned on in a way other than a key press.   I deleted the programming that I had tried, but I'll try again now using indentations. 

See the last additions at the bottom-- this is what I'm trying to do.  It does not work though, as in, when I turn on the A/C COOL from my living room touchpad, the LED on the keypad remains YELLOW from one of the other programs.

I want the LEDs to change color on the keypads when I turn on the A/C, so whenever the HVAC is in HEAT mode, it should light up red.  And blue when cool.

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 7.12.24 PM.png

See the last additions at the bottom-- this is what I'm trying to do.  It does not work though, as in, when I turn on the A/C COOL from my living room touchpad, the LED on the keypad remains YELLOW from one of the other programs.

I want the LEDs to change color on the keypads when I turn on the A/C, so whenever the HVAC is in HEAT mode, it should light up red.  And blue when cool.

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 7.12.24 PM.png

First suggestion is to get rid of all break commands. Then add the second line of command under the first. You can have 2 conditions together. They delete the 3rd line since it is a duplicate. Add your 4th line of code to the first. Try that and see what it does.

9 minutes ago, Axis24 said:

First suggestion is to get rid of all break commands. Then add the second line of command under the first. You can have 2 conditions together. They delete the 3rd line since it is a duplicate. Add your 4th line of code to the first. Try that and see what it does.

Did what I understood, see photo below.  How do I do what I did not?  Did not even realize indentations or how to do them until now.

THANKS.

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 7.28.46 PM.png

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:21 PM, Axis24 said:

Also we need to find a better place to put this code. A place where it can automatically update.

Where would you recommend putting the code for the LEDs that are supposed to change colors JUST based on the weather station?

The weather rose to 73 this morning.  So all of my buttons work, lights change, etc.  But I realized that I have colors set to change based on the weather station, but ONLY when a BUTTON is pushed and I want these colors to change when the weather changes, button pushed or not.

EDIT: NEVERMIND.... DUH... Under Weather station programming. 

Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 1.26.46 PM.png

Where would you recommend putting the code for the LEDs that are supposed to change colors JUST based on the weather station?

The weather rose to 73 this morning.  So all of my buttons work, lights change, etc.  But I realized that I have colors set to change based on the weather station, but ONLY when a BUTTON is pushed and I want these colors to change when the weather changes, button pushed or not.

EDIT: NEVERMIND.... DUH... Under Weather station programming. 

Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 1.26.46 PM.png

There ya go! That looks like a good place lol.

Archived