C4 Forums | Control4

Custom Buttons Agent for SR-260 Remote Buttons?

Larry

Thanks to all the great posts on this forum, I am now able to program the four custom color buttons on my SR-260 remotes, and also the 1,2,3 dot buttons.  Easy to do once you follow the instructions given by many here to program the room, not the remote.  Thanks everyone, love this place!

But I prefer agents to programming scripts (even though I am a software developer by profession -- the Advanced Lighting Agent works so well!), and the Control4 literature says that the Custom Buttons Agent can be used to configure the SR-260 buttons, but none of the Control4 docs explain how, and in trying it I only see options for six custom on-screen Navigator-style buttons.  Sure, the SR-260 would show these on a TV screen when using it as a Navigator, but I am looking to utilize the seven hard buttons, not the on-screen virtual buttons.  I want to set up global hard buttons that work the same way in every room with every remote without having to create a programming script for every room.

Any ideas?  Maybe the Custom Buttons Agent can only creatte Navigator-style on-screen virtual buttons ??

OK I understand!  Thanks so much everyone.  "Custom Buttons" on the remote show up like a room, as you scroll through List.  So they really are the analog of the virtual buttons on a screen-based Navigator.  Hence, as msgreenf says, they are NOT the 4 color buttons or the 3 "dot" hard buttons on the remote.  Too bad for me.

Due to WAF issues, I need to always have a remote (that is physically in a particular room all the time) locked on to that one room using List (which is sticky even when the remote goes to sleep and wakes up again, fortunately) and then in that room the four color buttons have to do the same thing they do in all the other rooms that have their own permanent remotes, like 20%, 40%, 60%, 80% brightness for one of three lighting loads in the room as selected (and toggled ON and OFF) by the three dot buttons.

The choice of three loads varies from room-to-room of course, but the idea is that the one-dot button is the primary lighting source (high hats), two-dot is the secondary (wall sconces), and three-dot is the tertiary (table lamps).  So the wife picks up the remote in a room, it wakes up because of the motion, it is locked in to that particular physical room, and she only needs to hit one of the dot buttons to turn on a light, then adjust the dim % with the color buttons -- the last dot button she hit determines what load gets dimmed.  She can choose multiple light sources, turn them on and off, set the dim %, all with these buttons, no need to look at the remote LCD screen at all or navigate with the arrow keys, which she has no interest in learning or doing.  So I have a lot of mouse-clicking to do, making this work in every room that a remote lives in.  Onward!

Thanks again for the response, any and all additional comments or suggestions welcome.

I don't have time to read all of that but it seems you may be mistaken about the function of the other buttons; if not I apologize. You can certainly program against those buttons and what I usually do is set it up with conditionals so that the functions that I want are available based on the source of the room. So for instance:

When ... is pressed:

? If LR source is DVD

Execute Pop Up DVD button

? If LR source is CableTV

Execute Aspect ratio button

....or however you see fit !

38 minutes ago, d1amund said:

? If LR source is DVD

Execute Pop Up DVD button

? If LR source is CableTV

Execute Aspect ratio button

? Why not just select those functions in the driver?

But in general yes, to program against the color buttons or the DOT buttons you go to each room, then select the option command - button you intend (R-G-B-Y or custom 1-2-3) and program against that. So yes, it's easy enough to program '1 dot/custom 1' to turn on light x in room x, and then light y in room y and so on.

Sorry for my longish tl;dr post!  I do indeed understand now how to program against the color and dot buttons ... yep, choose the room, not the remote!  I'm doing it and it works.

I now, I think, need to add variables tied to each room, each holding the value of the load in that room last selected by the dot buttons so that the color buttons adjust the brightness % for that load only.  Correct?  Almost sounds like fun.  Anyone else use this approach -- remote locked to a room forever?  And only expect the user to use the seven programmable hard buttons (plus the standard media navigation buttons)?

On 1/7/2017 at 11:04 AM, Larry said:

Due to WAF issues, I need to always have a remote (that is physically in a particular room all the time) locked on to that one room using List (which is sticky even when the remote goes to sleep and wakes up again, fortunately) and then in that room the four color buttons have to do the same thing they do in all the other rooms that have their own permanent remotes, like 20%, 40%, 60%, 80% brightness for one of three lighting loads in the room as selected (and toggled ON and OFF) by the three dot buttons.

sounds like you need some amazon echo dots in each room and have her use those they are a breeze and take zero time to program

• 3 weeks later...

I have done more experimenting with Echo Dot.  Now I want to say OMG!!! not just OMG.  Matt Lowe as so right!  This is what home lighting automation was meant to be, IMHO anyway.  Advanced Lighting Scenes with Echo Dot is the promised land.  You can change the name of scenes and devices just for the Alexa bindings without messing with anything else, brilliant!  I spent SO MUCH time with scenes bound to keypad buttons and bound to the color and dot buttons on the remote, etc.  I still have the fruits of that labor, but honestly I think most of the time I am just going to command Alexa.

No programming needed anywhere, really.  The Advanced Lighting Scenes write themselves, and by using multiple actions under a single load, with delays before some actions fire up, you get all the advantages of timers (bathroom heat lamp shuts off after 10 minutes, garage lights after 15, etc.) with no coding.

The only defect I see is that you cannot have multiple actions for a wireless outlet dimmer device, for some reason, so in that case we had to program a delay to get a table lamp under the same degree of auto-shutoff control as a real Control4 lighting load.

But Alexa takes it all in stride.  I asked Alexa if she likes Siri.  Alexa replied, "I like all A.I.'s".  Well so do I.

V1 lights are not able to have multiple commands. But you can cheat this also add programming. 

Let's say for a theater. You have a movie scene. You can program on when is activated to turn on the tv and delay or a timer time turn off a light. Try to only use delays for no more than 5 seconds for more consistent programming

Archived