C4 Forums | Control4

Best brand TV for IP integration to Control4

JEvans

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
 Is there a particular brand TV that integrates best with control4 of IP? 

Sony. Drivers are certified. I have had the least amount of issues using these drivers. Just make sure you are using a LAN connection not WiFi.

2 hours ago, NextGenAV said:

+1 for Sony and the new Panasonic Viera with Control4 integration built in. First time I've seen a screen with a Control4 menu option!!

Would have been nice if they integrated the VT60 Panny Plasmas :)

Our LG driver does cost but the features you get with such little effort have been well worth it for many dealers.

We have more features coming also.

Keep in mind almost the entire LG line works with 1 driver, Sony is not even close in the number of TVs that work via IP with Control4.

6 hours ago, annex⁴ said:

Our LG driver does cost but the features you get with such little effort have been well worth it for many dealers.

We have more features coming also.

Keep in mind almost the entire LG line works with 1 driver, Sony is not even close in the number of TVs that work via IP with Control4.

Are they controlled through ip?

1 hour ago, koxkp said:

If you're only using the tv as a monitor is there a huge advantage to full integration? I only have an IR driver now. What am I missing out on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the whole question about drivers like these. On your average system, it won't really add much.

Like you say, if all you're doing is turning it on and off, there's little point, unless that IR node is really bugging you. There's a BIT of value there always if it's two way, as chances of TV ans system becoming out of sync are minimized. Then again, not sure about you all, but the frequency of that happening are very small indeed from what I see - especially if any halfway decent IR driver has discrete power on/off codes.

Even if you're using input switching, it's debatable how any increase in response would be of value.

If you ARE using it for volume, then it starts to become nice (I'm assuming it has set volume and volume feedback).

It would become different if you're using the 'smart' portion of TVs, true.

But, while the LG's current 'smart' setup is pretty good, I still don't see it being BETTER than any number of 4K streaming devices.

Yeah you could save yourself an input, true - but that little Roku/ATV/Amazon Fire/AndroidTV can always be mounted locally out of sight anyway...

So unless there is a specific reason to use some of the features of the driver....

Note that I CAN see situations where it DOES have value. But they'd be far and few in between in residential situations (as I see them here). One obvious one would be if the end-user really wants to use the TV's own remote/the TV's remote app at which point full two-way TV control starts having some decent value. On possible nice one is if you have local (uncontrolled) sources (ie game systems) - in which case you could have the system turn on the TV, and the driver for the TV 'sees' that, from what I understand 'sees' the in[ut in use, so you program everything else to follow suit with C4 (ie turn on surround receiver to the right input for the room, dim lights and so on).

I've no idea of the cost/retail of the driver; mind - if it's 50 bucks then why not add it - if it's 500 bucks....well you decide if it's worth it for what you want to use this TV for. And yes, if you're getting 10 of these TVs, those 500 bucks (presumably) are watered back down to a very reasonable per TV cost.

1 hour ago, koxkp said:

If you're only using the tv as a monitor is there a huge advantage to full integration? I only have an IR driver now. What am I missing out on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can send status message to the tv of doors, garage state, and more. It shows the native apps on the tv In your navigators and the 2 way feed back is really nice. Ask matt Lowe for pricing. He did mine  

On 13/01/2017 at 9:47 PM, Cyknight said:

That's the whole question about drivers like these. On your average system, it won't really add much.

Like you say, if all you're doing is turning it on and off, there's little point, unless that IR node is really bugging you. There's a BIT of value there always if it's two way, as chances of TV ans system becoming out of sync are minimized. Then again, not sure about you all, but the frequency of that happening are very small indeed from what I see - especially if any halfway decent IR driver has discrete power on/off codes.

Even if you're using input switching, it's debatable how any increase in response would be of value.

If you ARE using it for volume, then it starts to become nice (I'm assuming it has set volume and volume feedback).

It would become different if you're using the 'smart' portion of TVs, true.

But, while the LG's current 'smart' setup is pretty good, I still don't see it being BETTER than any number of 4K streaming devices.

Yeah you could save yourself an input, true - but that little Roku/ATV/Amazon Fire/AndroidTV can always be mounted locally out of sight anyway...

So unless there is a specific reason to use some of the features of the driver....

Note that I CAN see situations where it DOES have value. But they'd be far and few in between in residential situations (as I see them here). One obvious one would be if the end-user really wants to use the TV's own remote/the TV's remote app at which point full two-way TV control starts having some decent value. On possible nice one is if you have local (uncontrolled) sources (ie game systems) - in which case you could have the system turn on the TV, and the driver for the TV 'sees' that, from what I understand 'sees' the in[ut in use, so you program everything else to follow suit with C4 (ie turn on surround receiver to the right input for the room, dim lights and so on).

I've no idea of the cost/retail of the driver; mind - if it's 50 bucks then why not add it - if it's 500 bucks....well you decide if it's worth it for what you want to use this TV for. And yes, if you're getting 10 of these TVs, those 500 bucks (presumably) are watered back down to a very reasonable per TV cost.

The driver is nowhere near your speculated costs. I cannot speak to what dealers charge for their labour but the costs would be less than installing an external device without the hassle of the physical install and HDMI issues on 4K devices with poor cables etc. The quality of the experience is much better then a Roku or other device if using Netflix, YouTube, or other similar service.

Yes multiple TVs makes the driver cost not even a factor.  Anyone using the driver can attest to how good it is and the value it has built-in with more to come.

I will also state you are entitled to your opinion, yet you have no experience with our LG driver, and can only experience lesser quality TV drivers that do not have the same level of integration the LG does with features or mini drivers.

I'd like to put an older LG model 42LW5300 in my fiancés work out room and stick an EA1 behind it in hopes of her being able to see a camera at the front door. The only reason I ask is that I had trouble with basic function of a JVC tv using the Savant Pro system( I know it's not the same brand but almost every dealer I talk to tries to sell me on Sony or Samsung). I don't mind buying into those brands but if I don't have to then I won't. Luckily the Savant remote worked okay in the LG I am asking about but in my head, only Sony and Samsung will do. Anyone know if that model will work an what functionality it would have?

Archived